thread: Jacob's arrival

  1. #1
    Melinda Guest

    Jacob's arrival

    The contractions started at around 3.00 am on Monday 16th August and were like mild period pain that also extended into my back. They weren't really regular, but were enough to keep me awake and make me think that things were finally starting since I was overdue!!! DH was meant to be going in for an extended shift at work but before he left I asked if he could re-arrange this at all as I'd had contractions and would prefer him to be at home with me....that was fine but then everything seemed to slow down again until Monday night when I had some more irregular contractions which were a bit more painful than earlier on. The real fun started at 1.00 am on the Tuesday morning though....that's when things started to become more regular and more intense and I was pretty sure by that stage that I would be going to the hospital later in the day!!

    I rang the hospital at around 9.00 am and spoke to them, and decided that I'd stay at home for a while longer and have a bath and get myself organised. I had the bath and put the final things in my labour bag and started to mentally prepare myself for what lay ahead!! DH and I then headed into the hospital and arrived in there at 1.00 pm and I pretty much started using the gas right away as things stepped up a notch or two. I was worried that I was using the gas way too early and that I was only in the very early stages of labour and not coping already!! The OB came in to see me at around 5.30ish and I was only a couple of centimetres dilated much to my dismay! He told me that he suspected that our little tiger would arrive before midnight however, and that he'd be back later on to check on my progress.

    Things definitely started to intensify and I was madly sucking on the gas and had a shower which was a welcome distraction and the heat felt nice on my back. It was when I was getting out of the shower that I lost my mucus plug!! Not long after this I had an injection of pethidine which was also really helpful and I felt able to move around more during the contractions....I wanted to try and walk around if I could as I knew that this helped things along. A little while after that the midwife suggested that I also try the bath. I had the bath and used the gas during the contractions whilst I was in it and DH was pouring jugs of warm water over my belly. It was really good having the bath as it gave my legs a bit of a rest. Not long after I was out of the bath I threw up everywhere from the pain - I hadn't felt sick at all before then!

    Eventually the pethidine and gas was no longer doing the job and I really felt like I wasn't coping with things and needed an epidural. It was around this time that my OB came back in to check on me (around 9.30 pm-ish). He took one look at me and told me I was having an epidural - there was no need for me to even ask! He examined me and I was only 4 - 5 cm dilated and was beginning to think that I would never get there! I was told that the anaethetist was 10 minutes away so the epidural would be done very soon which was great. Unfortunately, the 10 minutes turned into 2.5 hours. The midwife kept telling us he was only 10 minutes away, until right before he came in, when she finally admitted that he was at an emergency at another hospital!! At this point I was seriously NOT coping with the pain at all and was screaming at them to just knock me out because I couldn't cope and poor DH was in tears and telling them to at the very least give me more pethidine! Eventually the anaethetist arrived and I had the epidural which didn't hurt at all, but because I was in so much pain it was really hard to lie still whilst it was put in! It started to work around 15 minutes afterwards, and I felt no pain, just pressure, and could still move my legs. DH and I then basically watched the Olympics on the TV and I thought to myself that I would just wait to be told when to push!!! Things seemed to be moving very slowly and we soon worked out that our little tiger wouldn't be born that day, but the next!

    The OB arrived at around 4 am-ish (not sure exactly what time!) and examined me and I was then at 9 cm and not progressing any further. He said that my cervix had started to swell and that our little tiger had turned around and was posterior and couldn't get any further! He said my contractions were whoppers and my failure to progress was entirely as a result of him changing positions and my cervix swelling, and that my only option was to now have an emergency caesarean as our little tiger had also passed some meconium and was a little stressed. He said that he thought that I'd given it my best shot at delivering naturally and that I hadn't progressed at the rate he thought that I would and started making arrangements for the caesar. I was starting to get nervous at this point as this was my worst nightmare....to go through an entire labour only to end up having an emergency caesar! I had to drink some bizarre drink to neutralise the acid in my stomach and was taken up to the operating theatre where I felt very out of place as everybody was all frocked up in their operating gear (including DH!). All I could see were people's eyes! The anaethetist gave me a spinal block (different drugs in the same epidural site) which numbed me from the chest down which was a weird sensation. He explained the whole procedure as it was happening and DH watched on! I felt a lot of tugging and pulling, but no pain....it was pretty weird feeling my body rocking around like that! I started to feel really sick and told the anaethetist who said that a lot of people feel sick from the spinal block, but most don't actually vomit, but at that exact moment I pulled the oxygen mask off my face and told him I was going to vomit and he had enough time to put a surgical tray beside my head to vomit in!!! I vomited three times during the course of the caesar which was pretty unpleasant. But then I heard a miraculous sound and one I really never thought I would hear.....the sound of our little tiger crying!!! I burst into tears and couldn't believe that he was finally here!! It was 5.04 am and after going through 2 m/c and always thinking that I would never hold a baby in my arms, our little tiger proved me wrong! The OB said to DH to grab the camera and take a photo....our little tiger was still half inside me and was already crying and DH got a picture of it which was amazing! It was the most amazing and incredible thing to finally see our little tiger.... the one who had the hiccups everyday, who stuck his knee out whenever I used the vacuum cleaner, and who gave me savage heartburn!!! I couldn't hold him until I was in recovery, and when I did I had a really bad attack of the shakes from the spinal block. It was then that we decided that we would call him Jacob Laurance as the name Jacob was a name that we both loved and really seemed to suit him, and Laurance after my Dad, who would love his little grandson immeasurably if he were here. Jacob weighed 8lb6oz (3822g), was 51cm long and had a head circumference of 35cm.

    All in all, it wasn't the birth that I had imagined....in fact it was the absolute worst case scenario in terms of how it all took place (full labour of 28 hours from Tuesday at 1.00 am [16 hours in hospital] followed by emergency caesar), but the end result was amazing!!! I used every form of pain relief under the sun and definitely needed it!! I'm still in shock at the fact that Jacob is actually HERE.... for so long I was so stressed and anxious and had myself convinced that it wouldn't ever happen and that something would go wrong. But it didn't....and we now have a precious son who has some very special guardian angels looking over him..... a wonderful Poppy and 2 special angel babies.

  2. #2
    BellyBelly Member

    Apr 2004

    Tootie, what a great story! I am so happy for you. I had tears in my eyes myself when you talked about hearing Jacob cry for the first time!

    Congratulations again .

  3. #3

    aww tootie

    what a wonderful story you made me cry !!!

    love :hbeat:

  4. #4
    BellyBelly Life Member

    Nov 2003

    Thank you for sharing your amazing story with us, Toots. I'm so glad that little Jacob finally arrived safe and sound after such a traumatic labour. Congratulations and big hugs to the 3 of you.

  5. #5
    BellyBelly Life Subscriber

    Oct 2003
    Forestville NSW

    aww Tootie! I'm so glad to finally read this!! Its like reading about Matilda's birth in so many places! I hope you are healing well!

  6. #6
    Ex adm!n, quietly rusting....

    Feb 2004

    Wow Tootie that is one amazing story there.

    =D> for getting through such a tough experience so well.

  7. #7
    BellyBelly Member

    Nov 2003

    wow tootie, i too had tears in my eyes when u were saying about how u heard lil jacob cry, thats the best sound

    well done!!


  8. #8
    BellyBelly Member

    Aug 2003
    Melbourne, Australia

    Tootie thanks! What a great story, even though it was not the labour you wished for.

  9. #9
    BellyBelly Life Member

    Jul 2004
    House of the crazy cat ladies...

    Tootie, that was a wonderful story!!! It brought tears to my eyes too...
    It sounds like it was such a hard ordeal, and you have done so well getting through it.
    A Big Congratulations on the birth of little Jacob!!! O

  10. #10
    BellyBelly Life Subscriber

    Nov 2003
    Kilmore Vic

    What a difficult time you had Tootie. As you said not the way you wanted it but the end result is all that matters.
    Best wishes Michelle

  11. #11
    BellyBelly Member

    Mar 2004
    Switzerland at the moment

    misty eyes here too... so sorry you had to go through the full on experience with a c-section in the end
    Congratulations again on Jacob!


  12. #12
    BellyBelly Member

    Jun 2003

    Tootie - What an amazing story, congrats again on Jacobs arrival. Thanks for posting it, you are an inspiration.


  13. #13
    TDBear Guest

    wow! tootie, youre my hero! what an amazing time you had of it but you must be proud of your effort. i too had tears in my eyes.
    all the best with your little blessing.

  14. #14
    carmen Guest

    Thanks for posting your story Tootie - I know that it wasn't the birth that you wanted but at least you ended up with a wonderful present at the end of it.

    You had me in tears too after reading your story.

  15. #15
    BellyBelly Member

    Mar 2004
    Hobart, Tasmania

    Hey Toots... very large amounts of bawling happening here after reading your story!

    Was a bit of a shocker, but I'm so glad everything is fine and you've finally got your precious little tiger with you.

    :hugs: to you all

  16. #16
    BellyBelly Life Subscriber

    May 2004

    Wow Tootie,

    You went through so much and i can guarantee there is not a dry eye in the house here either. Well done on everything, i hope you can post some pictures of little Jacob soon. Thanks for being such a great support you really are a huge inspiration!

    Love Sarah

  17. #17
    BellyBelly Member

    May 2004

    Tootie that is a great birth story i am so glad that you now have your little Jacob with you.

    Hope you are all doingwell.

  18. #18
    layla Guest

    Let me dry my eyes............... that's better, you did so well and I can't believe how brave you were! :smt038
    I'm so happy for you and look forward to hear about Jacob's progress!
    Love Layla