Thread: Jay's birth

Default Jay's birth

This was my 2nd birth experience...and I still cant believe that this was me

My first pregnancy, labour and birth was a little difficult, both emotionally and physically, so I was determined to have a more positive experience the second time around.

I practiced yoga regularly and also discovered hypnobirthing?it was important for me to learn how to relax and maintain my sense of self.

The pregnancy progressed really well, and I felt very fit and healthy.

The day before I was due, I was feeling really emotional, and like most pregnant women at term, was a little fed up. I was therefore really happy to discover that I had had a show when having a shower, and also excited to know that I would very soon be meeting our baby.

The day passed uneventfully, but I felt really calm and relaxed.

I woke at 3am on my due date with a heavy pelvis and general period like sensation. I got up to the toilet and discovered yet more show. I did manage to go back to bed to doze, but just before 4am felt my first contraction. I wasn?t comfy lying in bed so got up, and allowed myself to enjoy being the only one who knew that I was in labour.

I was really content to just be in my own company and when I felt a contraction coming I would lean forward and I just allowed myself to completely relax and withdraw into myself.

At 5am I got my hubby up, and our 3 year old woke up and came out to watch TV with mummy. At 6am I rang the hospital to let them know I was in labour, and woke up my hubby?s sister (who was to be a support person) and her hubby (who was to look after our son). Everyone had a cup of tea, until I started to get a bit cranky?which then decided for me that it was time to go in. My little boy gave my tummy a kiss goodbye and off we went.

I felt really special arriving at the hospital?I?m a midwife there?as the 3 staff on that shift were waiting for me in the foyer. A few days after I had my baby, one of the girls said it was like welcoming the queen.

I settled in to the labour suite, and continued to comfortably deal with the contractions (every 5 minutes), leaning forward and having someone rub my back. My hubby and his sister were great, taking turns rubbing my back with Stu and my midwife(s) reminding me to go loose and limp. I had organized with a colleague to be my midwife/support person, so I was really lucky to have the shift midwife and my friend as well. 4 support people lucky me.

Time lost all meaning and I felt really comfortable and totally relaxed?which I owe to all my practice with hypnobirthing.

The girls suggested the bath?and at around 9am I made my way into the bathroom. Just prior to getting I the bath I had a really strong contraction, and knelt over the birth ball and made the most amazing sound?almost chanting. It felt so good to verbalize.

Into the bath?which was absolutely fab?and now with every contraction chanting and breathing. I was so relaxed in between and really comfortable. I even commented that I was really enjoying myself?and I have some great black and white shots of me looking rather content in the bath.

At around 10am the contractions (still 5 minutely) started to get really intense, very tight with a bite right at the peak. I remember crying and squeezing someone?s hand (and I think biting on Stu?s arm), and at the back of my mind knowing this was transitional behavior, but couldn?t rationalize with myself. I wanted to go home and not do this anymore, and everyone just remained really calm and talked me through each contraction at a time.

At some stage I asked for gas, and it was fantastic. I remember simply floating in the bath, eyes closed with the mouth piece being firmly held by my teeth. I was still totally relaxed, and had at this stage completely withdrawn inwards.

One really intense contraction and I felt pressure, then a pop as my waters released. Then with the next contraction I felt my baby moving, rapidly, and I felt my vulva open and then the contraction ended. I put my hand down there to feel, expecting to feel a bit of head, and was shocked to feel that I had just delivered my entire baby?s head on my own. I think I freaked out a bit at this stage as I was still in the bath, and no one was behind me. My midwife friend moved behind me, and I heard her telling the other midwife that the head wasn?t crowning, the head was out. After that the next contraction delivered the body, and with a great whoosh of relief our beautiful baby boy was born. Both midwives later told me that I had not pushed, so I caught them a little unaware, and appeared so relaxed that my baby literally birthed himself.

I was amazed, exhausted and elated?I had just birthed my baby the way I wanted. Birthing in the bath was not part of my plan, but I don?t think anyone could have got me out without a fight. I had birthed my baby without fear, and even more special, I was the very first person to touch my baby (I had not had any vaginal examinations as requested in my birth plan).

Our baby boy is so calm and relaxed, and I believe that my ability to relax and let go through the pregnancy and in labour has had a wonderfully positive influence on our second beautiful son.

xx blue daisy

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

Beautiful Natalie!

Thankyou for sharing your birth story!

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

What a great birth story for peacful and stress free!!!

Congratulations

You are another one who has changed name and i was confused!!!

OMG, what an inspiration! That is so awesome, Natalie. Thank you so much for sharing Jay's birth with us.

Thankyou for sharing! What a beautiful story!

An absolutely beautiful story Natalie, certainly provided food for thought, congratulations!!!

What a great story Natalie. I hope my next birthing experiance is as good as this one!

What an amazing story! Congratulations on ur little boy & for doing such a fantastic job.This is how i want my labour & birth to b this time

thank you everyone for your wonderful replies to this post

Jay's birth was very special...for myself and DH

little man is almost 2...and I still think back on his birth day and cant quite believe that I was able to experience the true joy of being a birthing woman

xx blue daisy