Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jovie Lee's Journey

Talking Jovie Lee's Journey

Whew... are you ready? Have a cuppa close by

For a few weeks I had been having pre-labour signs and on/off strong BH's which would trick me into thinking I should start thinking about things & then they would disappear. On Tuesday October 31st we had an appointment with an OB at our hospital and she wasn't too kind basically stating that my birthing choices would be disappearing...

I was planning on a VBAC, natural birth with little to no interventions. Highly unpopular with the hospital but the only possibility I could see for having an empowered birth for me this time around.

So The next OB appointment came on Monday November 6th and I was 41+2 weeks. The OB was very blunt & basically said that they would induce me straight away because everyday over 10 days post EDD was a risk of stillbirth and uterine rupture. I had done extensive reading during pregnancy and knew that my risk of uterine rupture with a spontaneous birth was exactly the same as someone giving birth the first time around. less than 1% difference in risk so I told the OB that. She pushed the stillborn issue which brought DH & I to tears at the thought of risking our precious babies life. We asked for time to discuss. When she came back we asked for the reasons, and told her that we could not agree to the induction without proof that there was a reason for it in our case. Matilda was 17 days overdue & came out with a score of 10 Apgar & the placenta was in great condition so we saw no reason to push it this time around. Tuesday 31st October we had a scan which shower part of the placenta to be heavily calcified (there are normal degrees of calcification that happen at the end of pregnancy), and a low level of amniotic fluid (again something that can be normal at the end of pregnancy). The sonographer was horrified to see that the measurements showed an 10lb 10oz baby (THANK GOD I knew how wrong they can be). An OB rang me on Wed to say that there was reason for induction Thursday with the calcification & the size of the baby. I immediately dismissed the size factor and after discussing with DH we knew that Thursday or Monday were basically our only options for accepting the induction, we were leaning towards Monday but were going to go to the appt with the OB on Thursday morning to try & see if we could push the the time out with daily CTG readings.

So... Wednesday.... I had niggling all day but decided to ignore it as it was the same as the weeks previously. I felt awful so Matilda went to day care & I slept most of the day & ate copious amounts of food. We put Matilda to bed on Wednesday with the idea to sit down & plan out what was going to happen on Thursday at the appointment & what we were going to do. Our friend & birth support Britt was going to come to the appointment with us. I was petrified of induction due to my previous birth experience with it. It was the most awful & traumatic experience in my life so I didn't want to be induced without knowing my options & choices and how I was going to handle it emotionally.

So ... Wednesday evening... we put Matilda to sleep & prayed as we had everynight for Jovie's arrival. 5 minutes later I noticed I had a more intense BH than ever noticed before.... 5 minutes after that another, then another.... I started contracting 5 minutes after Matilda went to bed. And they didn't stop. After 2 hours they were more intense but still very tolerable. So I had the normal panadol & shower trick & they kept coming.

At 12.30am our friend arrived to stay at home with Matilda & we got on our way to the hospital. When we arrived they had no rooms in the ward so we were sent straight to the birthing suites. We were the only ones there & the midwife who took us through was the one who came to theatre with us when Matilda was born & was the one who made sure everything we wanted from birth was done with Matilda. So I instantly was relieved that it wasn't someone I had to fight with. She asked to do a 20 minute trace CTG & I agreed. Everything was fantastic so she offered us a shower & set us up & then went to have a coffee. Pete & I spent the next hour in the shower, a fantastic thing!!! Then we came out because I was getting more and more tired... I actually asked to lay down on my side for a little while but couldn't handle it. So I was back on the fit ball leaning over the bed. Things intensified so she did a VE and we asked not to know what was going on. (she filled us in later that I was 4cm at that time). I was having a hard time relaxing in between contractions & focusing and was really tired... I started to get concerned that I wouldn't have the energy to hold out. Pete tried desperately to talk me out of it but I asked for pethadine. I am not friendly with gas as it goes badly with my brain & I didn't want pethadine but knew that I needed something to help me relax and gain my focus again. After the pethadine injection our birth support person arrived (we only called her on our way to hospital & she needed to feed her baby & get things organised to come in). She was a bit worried when she arrived because of me taking pethadine & the midwife told her I was only 4cm. She then got to work rubbing my back & helping give Pete a break.

2 hours later... I was grunting with the best of them & yelling "NO NO NO!" "I'm going home now" and then sleeping between contractions. The midwife asked to do a VE again and rupture my membranes as they hadn't released yet. Britt knew it wasn't something we wanted and so did Pete so they said do a VE and we'll see. Everyone was surprised to see I was 8cm. So the midwife pushed for a AROM, Pete said no and she asked me and I just stared at her apparently... She asked Britt to get the needle & suddenly my membranes released of their own accord ... They were clear!!! So she asked to put a scalp clip on and immediately Britt & Pete said no. She asked me & I stared at her... I was incapable of answering her. So she left it & Britt got the CTG working enough to avoid any further interventions. I slept between every contraction and every push and during them I went primal.

Jovie Lee came into the world at 7.41am with her hand next to her ear... so it took a bit longer to push out her head with a hand... and it caused a bit of tearing & grazing.

BUT I am so empowered. I knew what my body was capable of, and I had amazing support here with Kelly & Cailin and all of the mods & girls checking on my journey. I had amazing support in the room with Pete & Britt and even the midwife who although pushed some interventions, didn't do as much as we expected. My body took over when I had the pethadine & my brain relaxed & went into some weird primal state where I let go. I mean I moaned & I groaned & I yelled & I even pushed (shhh don't tell the hypnobirthing coaches ). But my baby came out healthy & with an apgar of 9.

The placenta was out within 10 minutes, bit of bleeding so the midwives asked Pete if they could give me syntocin, he ummmed & ahhhed but I was bleeding and he said yes, but within 2 minute of the injection the placenta popped out quickly. So the injection did nothing anyway. The cord stopped pulsating 15 minutes later & my beautiful girl got all her precious cord blood.

She went straight onto my chest for 2 hours and breastfed within 20 minutes. She stayed with me until I needed suturing & then went with her daddy for measurements 2 hours after she was born.

Jovie Lee Janssen
    4.0kg
    53cm
    36.1cm head circumference
    Beautiful girl. She looks just like her sister!

I had so many people praying for me this past week for spontaneous labour & VBAC... I feel so honoured & special to be given my hearts desires.

Last edited by christy; November 13th, 2006 at 08:20 AM.

Christy, that is a wonderful journey for you both, I am so glad you have shared it with us.

Fantastic!

Isn't funny how just at the last moment these overdue october babies liked to pounce!

You and your husband are legends Christy. Well done for you - I couldn't be happier for you.
    Sounds like it all went to plan as should be expected too!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Well done Christy you are a legend hon!!! Thank-you for sharing your amazing journey with me. You should be so proud of yourself, standing up for what you believe in and achieving what at times was looking like almost impossible. I think it was just meant to be. Enjoy your new baby girl sweety xoxox
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Join us in Melbourne on Saturday April 7th!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

what an inspiring story christy, well done on acheiving what YOU wanted!!!!

Thanks for sharing such a fantastic and positive birthing experience with us all Christy.

Sounds like you had fantastic support there too.

Congratulations once again on the safe arrival of little Jovie Lee

Awww CHristy that just gave me goosebumps. You are truly a legend

Wow what an amazing story And so much of what you felt sounded so much like mine... (gee your good I'm still only half way through my birth story!)

As Kelly said thanks for letting me share the journey with you. You are a birthing goddess and an inspiration to many! Hearing your story, and reading about Jovie's birth has made me realise I want to do it all again (well I knew that... but I umm and ahhh from time to time).

The thing I am most proud of you for is your strength, you said no when you wanted and yes when you knew it was right for you. That is true empowerment. Choice. The ability to be a part of the birthing process no matter how you birth your baby.

Congratulations again. I can't wait to hear about how little tilda feels about her little sister. I bet she's proud as punch!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Congrats Christy, im so happy you got your VBAC and everything went well. And i LOVE the name Jovie!!

kel Guest

Default welcome jovie lee

congrats what a great birth story.hope all is well

Great story! You did so well.....
    Congratulations, I hope Jovie Lee (great name) treats you well

Congratulations Christy and your family. Jovie Lee is very lucky to have such a strong and empowered mum. Well done and a great inspiring story for those wanting a VBAC.

So glad you got the birth that you wanted Christy, great story

Congrats again

WOW Christy, I cant believe you are back and posting already!!

What an amazing, positive and empowering journey and experience for you.
    Thanks so much for sharing your story, I think you are amazing, and such an inspiration!

CONGRATULATIONS again!!!!!!

I am just so happy for you Christy!

Congratulations Christy! Well done on a fantastic birth!

Christy, you really are a true champion! Pushing for what you wanted, not being swayed! WOW an inspiration. Congrats. Welcome Jovie!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast