Thread: Kiara's Birth Story

Default Kiara's Birth Story

We were to be induced on Sunday 17th September, but was sent home as another woman needed to be induced.. so home we went to return the following day for OUR turn!

My Dr put the tape (prostoglandin) in at around 7.30 on Monday night, I had already had some contractions but irregular... wasn't dialating and cervix was still high and tight... so in went the tape! We went home an hour later and had some dinner and watched some telly, I started timing contractions as I thought they were a bit close together... and yep 4 mins apart... rang the Hospital and they said to come in for some monitoring... did that and was given 2 sleeping tabs and some panadine to try and get some sleep. Went home again, at midnight, but didn't get any sleep!!! Contractions started getting more painful at around 3am, so I got up and had a shower and then they were 3 minutes apart... BACK to the hospital, and this time was admitted... we were admitted straight into the labour ward... YAY I think this is happening!!! WRONG... I was able to put up with the pain and discomfort for a while, but cervix was soft and 1cm dialated, STILL SO FAR TO GO! I was already getting tired, but daylight hit and we felt a bit better.

We had the most beautiful and supportive midwife ever, I just wanted to keep he forever... I asked for some pain relief around 11am I think, m/w checked to see how I was dialating, and the prosto tape had irritated my cervix, and it was swollen, the m/w couldn't even feel the top of it... and the Dr that does them, was in theatre, so had to wait for him to be between patients. He came in an hour or so later and gave me my first epi! It didn't work at all, so I had a shower hoping that would work, I was using the gas like a demon, it took the edge off, and gave me something to concentrate on during the contractions... they were horrible, they felt like the worst cramps ever... and as my uterus and cervix was irritated, we had to wait for that to settle before I would continue to dialate and progress. I still couldn't bare the pain, so m/w asked for the epi to be fixed... Dr pulled first one out and out in the second one... It worked almost immediately on my legs... I was a complete dead weight...It really is amazing how much we rely on them!!! The epi still didn't take away the pain and I just needed to sleep, it had been over 24 hours since we had slept! So m/w ordered a top up and then we were right... from my hoo haa down.... getting there!

Anyway another top up later, my m/w had to leave and we had a new one... a horrible one, I just didn;t like her, but I knew that the end was near and I put up with her, she just had no idea what she was doing!the new m/w wouldn't let me sleep, I was trying to get rest, but she insuited on coming in and puting the CTG on, and doing ob's every 15 minutes it came time to push... I think that it was around 7 or 7.30pm... I had ZERO energy left and was crying at the fact I still had a few hours to go... I asked Dr to get the baby out, I just couldn't cope... He said that I was fully dialated, but had to push bub's head down before he could use the vacuum... so we pushed for about 30 minutes and bub's head came down... So we grabbed the Vacuum and out she came... Once she was out it was the most sureal feeling, I was overcome with joy and love, and COMPLETE relief and wella... tired, NOPE... adrenalin kicked in I HAD A DAUGHTER! Steven announced that we had a girl, and then he cut the cord and it was finally OVER!!! We had cuddles, and breastfed before she was weighed and measured...

7lb 7oz... 50cm Long... 34cm Head circ!!! And Apgars - 9 and 10!!! Whata champ!!! Oh and born at 8.40pm Tuesday 19th September 2006!

Kiara had a cone head from the vacuum extraction, and a nasty little blister but it's all going down, and she is just perfect.

We came home on Friday, and have since switched to formula feeding, as my nipples were soooo sore from her feeding that I was in tears at the thought of her being due for a feed. We decided that was making her uptight and unsettled, so we switched,... and now we have a VERY content little girl, and an even more content mum... It was a hard decision, and I am disapointed, but it was just too painful, and this way we have the added bonus of Steven being able to do more for her... He is just the greatest DAD in the world, he was just beautiful during the labour, and has been the best since... we are so happy and even more in love now that we have a family!

Thanks for reading...

Mel

Congrats again Mel, she sounds totally perfect

skorpy Guest

Congratualtions mel.

You bubs was born on my sons Birthday hehe.And my bubs was born 7lb 7oz too.You have picked a beautiful name,and it gos with a Beautiful baby.Cant believe we have had out babies,dont seem long ago we were talking about our pregnancies at weeks 33

Great Birth story

Congrats again

She's just beautiful mel... I live the name. Skorpy's right, a beautiful name for a beautiful girl Cherish her, she'll grow up so quickly... My lil princess is already nearly 4 months old!!!

Congratulations Mel and Steven. My DS was 7lb 7 oz too! She is a beautiful little girl and she should be so lucky to have such loving parents. I too had the same prob as you with b/f but in the end, aslong as your precious bundle gets nutrition, it doesnt matter how you feed. Also like you said Steven can help with the feeds and you can rest! Congratulations again.

Thanks heaps guys...

Simone - OMG I can't believe its already three months since Anneliese Made her grand entrance!

That was lovely Mel