Thread: Layla's birth

Default Layla's birth

At 39 weeks and 2 days I started having some mild contractions in the morning. DH went to work and my sister in law Tiffany came over to help me with my 3 children as my 3rd , Yusef who was 13 months old,was quite sick. We decided to go far a bit of a walk to get the kids out of the house. By the time we got back my little boy was running a 40.8 degree temp and my contractions were mild and about 15 mins apart. I quickly called DH to come home and set off to the hospital with Yusef and Tiffany. When we arrived at the hospital, the triage nurse took us straight into emergency, and urine and blood test were taken from my very sick little boy. By this time my contractions were about 10 mins apart, and all the nurses were coming to have a look! The Drs eventually prescribed Yusef some medicines and we took him home.
    Well, on the drive back to my house, the contractions jumped right up to 5 mins apart and were getting more painful each time. I took Yusef inside, gave DH the medicine and instructions on how to administer it, and screamed all the way back to the car, where Tiff was waiting. All I can remember is the 4 worried faces watching out the window as we screeched of to the hospital. Tiffany did some very fine driving with mehanging out the window retching and dry heaving all the way there!! By this time they were 3 mins apart and excruciating .
    We were taken straight into the birthing suite where the midwife said it would be awhile and did I want some pethidine. Going against my birth plan, I decided I was so tired after all the worry about my little boy that I would have some. MW said it would take about 20 mins to work. As soon as she administered it, Tiffany was called out of the room. I was in too much pain to wonder why. As soon as she was gone, I started making these funny groans with every contraction. The MW said to me " Is that from the pain or are you pushing?", I screamed back that I didn't know what was happening. I groaned/pushed a couple of times and out slipped my baby girl on to the bed still in her waters. The MW said "OH S#%T" and quickly got out the scissors and other 'midwifery tools'. Layla was a little 2.9kg. Almost straight after I had her the pethidine started to work!!!
    I just started to wonder where Tiffany was, when she walked back in to tell me my husband and 3 children had just come in to the hospital by ambulance as Yusef had had febrile convulsions! It was probably the worse moment of my life. Tiffany took my older 2 home and DH went with Yusef when he was transferred to a hospital with better paediatric facilities. When Yusef was asleep, DH came back to our hospital to pick me up (31/2 hrs after giving birth) and took me and Layla to my other baby at the bigger hospital. He then went to relieve Tiff and look after our other kids while I stayed with Layla and Yusef at the hospital.
    What I remember about the next 24 hrs or so was absolute exhaustion and terror that Layla would catch Yusefs virus. Every time I would cudle Yusef I would have to scrub up to the elbows before I could pick up or feed Layla. Thankfully Layla never caught the virus which turned out to be roseola infantum.
    It couldnt be that bad as I went on to have 2 other babies after Layla who is now 4yrs old and am now pregnant with my 7th!
    Thanks everyone for reading Laylas story. One day I will find the time to write the other 5. Sorry for any spelling or grammar mistakes!

wow what a day of mixed emotions that sounded like it was!
    Congrats and all the best with number 7!!

Goodness me what a time of it you had! No wonder you were exhausted and wow at Layla being born with the membranes intact.
    Well done =D>

bruky Guest

What an amazing woman you are!!!!

That would have been a pretty scary time for you with giving birth and your poor lil sick man

Huge congratulations on your 7th pregnancy too....you are amazing and brave...lol

Wow, thanks for sharing your story with us.

Congratulations for your 7th pregnancy, hope all goes well.

right you are Fletch - HOLY MOLY!!

Glad everyone is ok though, I'm almost too scared to read your other birth stories!

Ghada Guest

Wow - amazing birth story - and what an amazing person you are!!! Thank god your little one didnt catch the virus and yusuf recovered well. All the best with number 7

Wow Rayla!! Thats amazing!!!