Thread: Lucie Maria's arrival

Default Lucie Maria's arrival

Ok this is really late - sorry!

After twice weekly ob appointments due to high blood pressure, I was told that I’d be induced that week. I rang on Tuesday afternoon to find out when we would get in and told it would be Thursday. 10 minutes later the receptionist rang back and said that it would be 7am the next day. Mick and I were in disbelief that our baby would be with us so soon!

At 7am I rocked up at the hospital. Mick was very sick with the flu and drugged up to the eyeballs on cold and flu tablets. At 7.30 the ob broke my waters which really hurt and then I had the weird sensation of water pouring out. At about 8am they started me on the drip. At first I couldn’t feel the contractions but that soon changed.

Contractions started to come more regularly and more painfully until they were lasting about 1 min and about 45 secs to 1 minute apart. I was still coping without any pain relief quite well, just breathing and leaning on the bed/floor. Mick was busying himself with Sudoku puzzles!!!!!

At 12.30 the midwife examined me. To my absolute disappointment I was only 4cm dilated. She asked if I would like to try some gas. I said that I was feeling ok, but might give it a go.

Then things got VERY intense VERY quickly. I was sucking on the gas but found it pretty useless. I had been against the idea of an epidural but at around 12.45 I was screaming for one. By about 1.15pm the idiot anaesthetist had done his stuff and I was in heaven (after spewing on Mick!). At 1.30 the midwife said she would examine me again and was pretty shocked to find me fully dilated and able to see bub’s head (4cm to fully dilated in an hour!). It was time to push!

They put a mirror down the end of the bed – something I originally wasn’t keen on but I found it really helped to push. They tried to slow things down so the ob would make it back in time, but with every contraction, bub was well and truly coming out. With one contraction the head was about out, and she tried to get me to hold back to wait for the ob, but bub had other ideas. Suddenly the head was out. The midwife wanted things to slow right down so the baby was just lying there with the head out for a while – very weird! But the next contraction she just basically slid out, and we looked down to see our beautiful little girl, Lucie Maria. Mick, who rarely shows any emotion was overcome and sobbing just like me.

The birth was the easy bit and whoever invented the epidural is an absolute saint – they are wonderful!

We are both so in love with our little girl, despite the problems of the past weeks, but that’s another story!

She's beautiful, soph!!

Sounds like it all happened so easy!! Jelousy on my part!! 8-[

Wow Soph! Sounds like everything ended up happening really quickly for you!
    Thanks for sharing your story, and WELL DONE! =D>

Soph, thanks so much for sharing your story. how quickly you went from 4cm to fully dilated!!!

well done!!

Aww that's lovely, Soph! Thanks for sharing it with us.

I agree with Fletch though... more pics LOL!

Thanks for sharing and congratulations again!

Wonderful story..thanks so much for sharing.

Jo

kirsty Guest

Thanx for sharing your story Soph.

Wow once things got going they really got going didn't they??

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Wheatie,

Wow what a wonderful story, thank-you for sharing

It is very hard to get through the pain once induced and / or on the drip, but rest assured, next time if you don't have blood pressure issues, you might find it much easier to deal with contractions and not need an epidural After an augmented labour with my first (water broken & drip @ 5cms), I had a natural second birth - and here was me thinking I was a devoted epidural mum!!! But only because of what I had experienced with the augmentation.

You did very well and a beautiful baby girl - enjoy this precious time
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Join us in Melbourne on Saturday April 7th!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Melody Guest

Congratulations Sophie.... well done!

Congratulations sophie!!! Sounds like a great experience for you all

Well done Spoh and hope things are ok now.

BNest wishes michelle

=D> \/ Yay Soph, nice work.... I hope things are settling down too...

All the best!

Kirsty77 Guest

Congratulations Sophie and Mick!!!!!!!Welcome to little Lucie!!!!!!!

Janie Guest

Thanks for sharing your story - she looks beautiful.

A great story! Well done =D>