Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MamaDuke's and Jacob's Maternal Assisted C/Section birth story...we did it!

You are an absolute champion!!!

Well done...

WHAT AN INSPIRATION!!!

I'm definitely asking for this next time round...do you have a copy of your birth plan that you would be prepared to share?

Just beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by monnie View Post
    You are an absolute champion!!!

Well done...

WHAT AN INSPIRATION!!!

I'm definitely asking for this next time round...do you have a copy of your birth plan that you would be prepared to share?

Just beautiful!
    I'm not a champion...I just don't like to hear no when there is no valid reason behind it!
    I didn't have a birth plan, I just spoke with my obstetrician who, unlike the obstetrician that I fired half way through my pregnancy, listened and took notice of what I wanted/needed. I also spoke with the head midwife at the hospital I was going to (a hospital which was suggested as my only hope by my ob) who was very supportive and eager to help me. She was great because I had someone in 'my corner' at the hospital when putting a MAC/S to the different hospital departments such as the infection control department - without her I don't think I could have convinced hospital bureaucracy to allow this in their hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by astnatlaur View Post
    just beautiful. thank you for sharing your amazing positive birth experience with us... I have tears running down my face. I have three c-sections, and my last was amazing - I didn't assist, but everything else was just perfect. The other thing I have to comment on is everyone else's faces in your photos! They all have this beaming smile on their dials!! The energy in that room must have been amazing. They all look as happy as you do to be part of it all. May this mark the change of how c-section can happen for those who truely need it to help deliver their babies safely into the world.
    I noticed everyone's faces too - not on the day, but afterwards while I was looking at the photos. You're right, the energy in the room was quite amazing and everyone was so supportive and excited for us. For me, it was the best and most respectful way I could bring Jacob into the world, and to share it with all of those people who truly shared our excitement was fantastic.

Oh wow, what a story, CONGRATULATIONS!!!

And the piccies are fab!

Hi,

What a truly inspirational birth story

I never knew you could do a maternal assisted cs.

Wonderful!!

I am so glad you had an awesome birth experience

The pictures are wonderful too.

Well done!!

Kristi

MamaDuke - that is just absolutely beautiful! What a wonderful delivery. Congratulations.

EthansMumma Guest

Default Any advice for others hoping for a MAC/S ? (LONG, sorry)

Hi MamaDuke

I apologise to everyone in advance for posting such a long and personal message in a public forum. I am a new member and I cant work out for the life of me how to do a PM.

MamaDuke, do you have any advice or info that you think might be helpful in convincing an Obs to agree to this type of C/S?

I am currently 23 weeks pregnant with my third child, and for medical reasons will be having an elective caesar. I am hoping to have a MAC/S as my last experience of an emergency caesar was quite distressing.

I would love to just 'sack' my current obs and switch to the guy who delivered Jacob, but I am living in Geelong and it is simply too far for me to drive to Malvern. I have a different obs this time, as my previous one has moved. To complicate matters further, it is most likely that the new obs will be on leave around the time of the baby?s birth, so yet another obs will probably end up delivering my baby.

I barely know either of these men (haven?t even met the 2nd one), and I have yet to develop any real rapport with them. So I am assuming that I will have a VERY difficult time convincing them to allow me to have a ?different? type of caesar.

Any relevant information you could provide would be GREATLY appreciated.

Sorry once again everyone for posting such a personal request, but maybe someone else out there might also find any answer useful.

Thanks, Nicole
    Mumma to DS (born sleeping Apr 2005) and DD (born June 2006)

P.S. Just so you know I am not just some trend-follower who wants to copy the latest 'fashion' in C/S, I will tell you a little of my story (TRYING to keep it brief).

With my first baby I had a healthy, uncomplicated full-term pregnancy. However right at the end something went very wrong and my son died a day or so before he was born. No-one knows why. DH wanted me to have a C/S but my obs advised a natural birth would be better physically. I followed his advice and it was the BEST decision of my life. My son?s birth was excruciatingly painful, but also overwhelmingly positive. I can only describe it as an earth-shattering, life-altering experience.

So with my next pregnancy I really wanted to have another natural birth. But my daughter kept turning breech. I did everything I could to get her to turn, but she kept turning back. Eventually after many tears and much heartache I decided to have an elective caesar at 38 weeks. But when I got to the operating theatre, the obs checked and found that she had turned the right way around again! I am sure he would have preferred to just do the C/S and get it over with, but he gave me the choice. Of course I was stubborn and chose to go natural. I was induced and laboured all day and night. I got to 9cms but she just wouldn?t descend into my pelvis, the labour stopped progressing and her heart-rate was erratic.

So 24 hours later I returned to the same surgical theatre and had an emergency caesar. I found this experience very distressing. The only emotion I felt was relief that my baby was safe. It was nothing like the overwhelming joy of my son?s birth (even though I knew he had already died). I felt as though I just lay there paralysed and they hacked my baby out of me like she was some kind of tumour. To this day, there is a tiny part deep inside of me that can?t be really sure that the baby they handed me is indeed MY baby, because I didn?t see her come out and I didn?t feel her come out. I didn?t participate in her birth in any way. They just put up a big green screen in front of my face, did their thing, then held up a baby. I think this really interfered in the bonding process in the early days, and may have contributed to our failure to successfully breastfeed.

So as you can see, any improvement to the process would be welcomed by me. I just need to feel like I am an active participant in my child?s birth, not some useless piece of meat that just lies there paralysed and helpless.

Oh Ethansmumma, A big hug to you. No-one would ever think you were just trying to be a trend follower.
    I did send you a reply earlier today in the Maternal-Assisted Caesareans forum and I just stumbled across this one.

I completely know how you feel with regards to playing no active part in your daughters birth. I feel exactly the same way. My caesar was under a general anaesthetic (they couldnt get the epidural to work) so I feel completely robbed of a birth experience and I had b/feeding problems too.
    So please don't ever feel alone in the way you are feeling.

I wish you all the best for a more positive fullfilling birth experience next time. And I hope that my suggestions int he other forum help.

Tamara

ALl I can say is WOW

What an inspirational birth story such a positive c-sect.
    I had my daughter by c-sect and whilst i personally dont think i could be comfortable with pulling her out i def want the curtain down next time so i can see a bit more of whats happening....and be that bit more involed.

Those pics are memories to cherish for a lifetime

Huge Congrats even though im a few months late!

Congratulations for having the birth of your dreams. This is the way that they should all be if they mother wants. It should be a question asked in along with date of last menstual period and medical history .

I was able to get a half MAC/S. Meaning that I was able to have skin-to-skin contact immediately and kept DD with me whilst in recovery. I would have loved to be able to help raise her out of my belly. I still feel a little gyped with having to have an emergency caesar but am comforted by the fact that I was able to bond straight away.

Thank you for making me cry with the sheer emotion of your story and pics. I hope you and your Dukes are doing well.

What an amazing story. It tells us that we still have the ultimate right to birth how we want.

Congrats on Jacob's safe arrival and what wonderful pics xxx

you are an insperation

wow! i've never heard of a c/section like that!
    how amazing!

Thank you for posting such a positive birth story! The pictures are lovely. A former work colleague had a maternal assisted c/s just recently.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123