Thread: Miles' birth... long story, loooong labour

Sal Guest

Default Miles' birth... long story, loooong labour

On Mon Jan 16th (39w4d) in the morning I noticed spotting. Went for CTG monitoring, turns out it was the start of my show.

Wed 18th at 2am (39w6d) started feeling mild contractions which continued throughout the day, becoming regular 10min apart and 30-45sec duration by afternoon. In the evening they slowed down to 15-20mins and continued throughout the night, waking me up with each one as they were ouchie ones.

On Thu 19th (40w) contractions finally picked up and became regular 5mins apart and 45-60secs duration so headed off to hospital at 9pm. Was measured at 4cm dilated at 10pm so was left to labour away in the birth suite. Contractions became 3min apart and despite having diligently trained with hypnobirthing for the previous 8w quickly found the pain of contractions more than I could breathe through so requested gas at 11.30pm. Gas started off working really well, didn’t make me sick and was having me giggly and merry, much to DH’s delight. After 45 more minutes I found the pain even through the gas to be a bit much, so hopped into bath with a portable gas canister – my trusty new friend. I figured out that I could take the gas continuously so as to avoid the 20s it took to kick in with each contraction. I became as high as a kite and DH got the midwife as my behaviour started to get strange and the pain was getting worse.

…from 12.45am (now Fri 20th) until 7am is a blur for me, with awful flashbacks of terrible pain (like I was being repeatedly stabbed in my lower left tummy) and psychadelic “Groundhog Day” de ja vu experiences whereby in a dreamlike state I look at the clock, then to DH who takes my gas tube away and tries to reassure me, then the inevitable awful pain and me grabbing the gas but getting no relief. Then the scene replays over and over, with the clock advancing ever so slowly and variations of the scene including having several midwives in the room, plus an anaesthetist, and having medical procedures performed on me, being told I was not dilating and me freaking out, of many episodes of blood-curdling screaming (full horror-movie style that if you hear it you think someone is being tortured and murdered) that emanated from me, only I seemed to be an observer watching through some drugged haze. DH found those hours extremely disturbing and traumatic. He’s told me what happened (yes my recollections were true but my behaviour was even more disturbing and there is much that happened that I simply don’t remember). He doesn’t want to share all details, but the overview is that I requested an epidural early on, as I was screaming through my contractions (the gas made me psychotic and non-responsive). Initially the midwife said it was too early but my pain and behaviour quickly changed his mind. The first epidural didn’t stop the pain, so I was given a second one, during which I was so combative that the anaesthetist had to be convinced by the midwives to continue. I contracted strongly but the pain (of bubs head and shoulder ramming me as he was in the wrong position) caused my body to work against itself so I didn’t dilate beyond 4cm all night. At one point DH had to leave the hospital and clear his head as he was so upset and disturbed by the pain I was in and my psychotic behaviour. Finally the second epidural worked and I fell asleep.

When I woke at 7am I felt trashed but sane again. The OBS was called in to break my waters and get me on the Syntocinon drip in a bid to get me dilating, otherwise I was heading for a c/s. At 8.30am my waters were broken and had meconium so a paed had to be present at the birth. My second epidural was heavy duty so I had a great morning, not really feeling any contractions. At 12.30pm I was found to be fully dilated so the epidural was mostly stopped so I would feel the urge to push. At 1.15pm I started pushing.

After 1hr20mins of good pushing Miles made his grand entry at 2.35pm, weighing 3.53kg and his head circumference 36cm, apgars of 9 and 9. He was declared healthy by the paed but when his temp was taken it was found to be raised and he had also aspirated some meconium so he was put in the special care nursery. I was unable to B/F that day as he was tired and dehydrated but he got the all-clear the next day and I got my gorgeous boy back. I required over 30 stitches for several 2nd degree tears (ouch!) but it really pales into insignificance when I gaze at my baby.

WOW Sal. Isn't it funny how you can plan the perfect birth but then nature has it's own hand to play - well that's certainly how it was for me anyway. Glad you now have your little man to gaze at!!!

Wow Sal, oouchies is right!!

Glad Mum and Miles are well! Enjoy these days, even the sleepless nights, relentless feeding, because they change so quick...

Thanks for sharing!!

congratulations Sal and thank you for sharing your story. Welcome to the world little Miles xoxoxo

Oh good God, Sal - my happiness for you is mixed with feelings of dismay for the terrible pain you endured. As you say, it is all worth it in the end but I understand even more clearly now what an unpredictable beast labour can be. Thank you for being so honest about your experiences and I'm so glad everything was fine in the end. Miles looks wonderful ... you must be chuffed!

Love,

Mel

Ouch at the 30 stitches! I thought 20 was bad enough. Glad all is well, you did an amazing job!

Ouch Sal!

Congratulations on the birth of Miles, enjoy him

Well Done Sal, You did so well... Miles is gorgeous!!!

Enjoy every second with him, as it goes sooooooooo fast!

Thanks Sal for your honest and frank birth story. Goes to show you can only prepare for the best but expect the rest. Miles is an absolute cutie.

Congratulations Sal! You had a battle but got the best prize in the end, WELL DONE =D>

Wow what a story. Congratulations of the safe arrival of Miles!

Akeesha Guest

Hey Sal,

What an experience for you!

Sorry to hear the gas had such a strange effect on you but it seems it all worked out very well in the end.

You did a great job and I am very proud of you and very happy for you.

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

Sal
    Thanks for sharing your story - you certainly had a difficult time but loved the last comment.Miles is gorgeous and his mum is one tough softie.

Sal - what a champ you are!!! =D> Congratulations again and thanks for sharing your amazing labour.

It reminds me of mine a bit. When I asked my DH how he thought I coped he said he was freaking out cause he was expecting my head to start spinning around like in the exorcist, it was like I was possessed. It's quite harrowing for them to see us in so much pain and unable to help us.

Wow Sal... thanks so much for sharing your story. Sounds like it was very harrowing at times for you and DH, but you perservered and got the best reward possible! Congratulations again on the arrival of little Miles.

Wow Sal. You poor thing having to have 30 stiches. Ouchie. You did so well considering how long your labour was. Well done and congrats on such a gorgeous little boy.

Sal, sorry to hear u had such a long hard labour, but glad u both got an exclnt present in the end, baby Miles... :-)