Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milo Jay's Birth

Default Milo Jay's Birth

Milo's Birth Story

Following an unenvisaged, and unplanned membrane sweep on Friday night, I decided that the OB filling in for my doc. was not for me. The fantastic midwifery staff at the Werribee Mercy were able to organise another OB to take me on in the event of intervention being required, and we agreed I would be induced on Sunday 20/11.

10am Sunday morning - I arrived at the hospital to have the prostin gel put on. Started feeling A/F style crampy within the hour. I decided to go home as I didn't really want to hang out at the hospital all day, and was asked to come back in by 4:30pm so they could check how things were going.

By about 3pm I was having irregular niggly contractions of varying strength and duration.

Arrived back at the hospital at 4:30pm, where it was decided things were progressing nicely based on the contractions I'd been having, so I hung about kneeling, bouncing on the birthing ball etc for a few hours, trying to time the contractions and hoping they'd kick in soon.

The nice contractions turned into really painful, first stage labour contractions at about 9:30pm, when I had a show, and by 10:30 I decided I would have a shower, so I asked the midwife, who said I could have a bath if I wanted to.

Bath?! Why did no one tell me there was a bath at the hospital - I jumped at the opportunity and stayed there until about 1am. I found the water really helped with the pain of the contractions, but by that stage they were starting to feel worse than before I'd taken the bath. and I got out.

I remember mid contraction saying I couldn't take this anymore and wanted something for the pain. My mum and my midwife kept telling me to ask them again when I wasn't having a contraction, and when it had passsed I decided I could manage OK.

This went on for pretty much the whole time I was in the bath, and once I got out I decided I really did want something for pain, and demanded an epidural at approximately 1am.

Since my birth plan stated I didn't want any drugs or to be offered pain releif, my midwife checked with me a few more times, and once I'd established that I did infact need something for the pain, we decided to try gas. I argued that I didn't see how gas would help, and demanded an internal to check how dilated I was - 6cm

2:20am had reached the max gas dosage and the pain was again as bad as it had been. My midwife said if I wanted further pain relief I would need to aske her quite specifically, and I remember saying something along the lines of [email protected] the epidural - I want to push now!

My water still hadn't broken, so I had an ARM.

I'm not sure exactly what happened then, and whether they checked how dilated I was or just decided I could push, but I did so and Its the most incredible, and painful sensation, really hard to describe.

Pushing went on for about an hour and a half. I decided a few times I had had enough, there would be no more pushing, and someone should just pull my baby out there and then. There were 2 more midwives in the room now, the head had cowned, which I didn't really feel specifically, just the general labour pain, and the told me I was stretching really well and his head would be out with the next push.

His head proved somewhat more stubborn than they imagined, and I reckon it was at least anouther half hour before it finally made it. They told me to stop pushing, so I did, but he had other ideas, and came out all at once!

I had requested to have a natural third stage for the delivery of the placenta, and it came out rather more quickly than I'd imagined, but the midwives though I was bleeding too much so I was given an injetion to prevent haemorraging.

They said they thought everything was intact, but I had felt myself tearing, so asked them to check again.

I had a 1st degree tear to my perineum which was stitched by the OB a couple of hours later.

I didn't really care though, I had my baby on my chest, he was wide awake, and trying to lift his head to turn it to the side! Cheeky boy.

Milo Jay Moog entered the world at 3:47am, Monday 21 November 2005

Birth weight 4640g or 10lb 0.4oz
    Length 59.0cm
    Head Cicumference 38.0 cm

Mum and DH were present and the birth, and I found both to be an incredible support.

Apgars 9 @ 1 min
    10 @ 10min

First stage began at 9:30pm, and third stage ended at 3:58am, so total labour of 6.5 hours.

Thanks to all who gave me support, particularly after the events on Friday night, which are detailed elsewhere in the forums, and I won't repeat

Sal Guest

Rachael, huge CONGRATS to you on Milo's birth. What a big boy, and to think you did it without an epi!

rayray
    Well done
    =D> =D> =D>

Alan (Midwife)

Wow Rachel,

Congratulations on the birth of Milo, and thank you for sharing your story. It sounds as though all went 'sort of' according to plan in the end.

Wow though, what a big baby!! Getting him out without an epi - blimey setting a hard bar for us mere mortals here! LOL!!!

Well Done, and I hope you are really enjoying this time!

Well Done!!! =D> Congratulations!

Congratulations Rachael and thanks for sharing!

Melinda Guest

Well done!!!!

Pietta Guest

Wow wonderful story- isnt it all worthwhile once you see their gorgoues shrivelled little faces!!

Great work

=D> Well done! Congrats and thanks for sharing, I'm glad it all went well for you

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Thanks for sharing your story Rachel So glad to hear that you didn't have to have that [email protected] of an OB.

Oh Rachael, congratulations and very well done.....Milo Jay is a great name and a big boy that you must be so in love with! From reading your birth story you did an amazing job of birthing: you should be very proud!

what a great birth story Rachael!!! Well done =D>

Well done Racheal,
    I'm glad everything worked out in the end!
    Bec

WOnderful work Rachel and amazing considerin hee size of your darling Milo, You were definitely feeding him well
    Best wishes michelle

Congratz to you Rachael and family - I'm so glad that things worked out for you and DH - enjoy this magic time with Milo - I am sure he is just devine.

dianna :flower:

Melody Guest

How beautiful! Congratulations Rachel. He is a big boy

Kirsty77 Guest

Wow Rachael well done!!!!!!!!!!

What a fantastic birth story, Rachael! Well done!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast