Thread: A Namibian Birth

Default A Namibian Birth

The Birth of a Namibian Baby

My husband and I are from Australia but have been living in Namibia for the past year and I fell pregnant just before Christmas with my due date being 10 September….

After an up and down pregnancy I went for my usual weekly doctors check-up on Friday, 1 September, after taking my blood pressure, which was fairly high and quite a lot of swelling of my ankles, etc, she asked how I felt about being induced, I said the only problem was my husband was away until the Sunday, as it wasn’t critical, the doctor said it could wait a couple of days and to go back and see her on Monday morning. Monday morning arrived and my blood pressure was still high so I would be induced. We arrived at the hospital at 5 pm and were shown to the room that Angelina Jolie stayed in when she gave birth here in Swakopmund, (which was little bit exciting for me), the doctor inserted some pessary gels (???) into my vagina and I had to take progestalin (???) tablets every two hours, we spent the night reading, relaxing and talking etc, the pain I was experiencing at this stage was only like a bad period pain….after what seemed like forever at 2.45 am I felt a huge gush - my waters had broken and from there on in the contractions were pretty strong…the midwife examined me and I was three centimeters dilated…from there the contractions got worse and I got the feeling I needed to push, they quickly called the doctor and moved me down to the delivery room and then at 3.30 am the doctor examined me and I was 8 cms dilated, from then on it was serious pushing, the doctor had to do an episiotomy and I needed help from a suction vacuum (??) and then DD was born at 4.16 am, Tuesday, 5 September. DD weighed in at 6 pounds 2 ozs, length 52 cms, head 34 cms and apgar of 9 and 10….after the birth the doctor stitched me up and DD latched onto my breast and has been a great little feeder ever since. She is a beautiful baby and everyday with her brings so much joy and happiness to us.

Congratulations Boo. And what a great story to tell Rylee when she's older (about Angelina!!)

Congratulations Boo on the safe arrival or Rylee. Love her name too.
    I agree with Christine - what a story to share with her

Congratulations on the birth of Rylee. What a good story to tell!!