Thread: Nixon's EARLY arrival

Default Nixon's EARLY arrival

Well i suppose i should start from the start, Wednesday 12th April 32weeks 6days approx 4pm i had a slight leak which came from no where and thought oh gee I have wet myself!
    This continued to happen through out the night, was not a large gush just trickles here and there. DH & I went to our ante natal class, again it happened when we were leaving and i was quiet upset with myself.
    Having always had a weak bladder i assumed i was the 1 in 3 woman who got incontenance whilst pregnant. DH even printed some info from the net on 3rd trimester symptoms and incontenance info.
    Went to work as normal on Thursday but the same thing kept happening through out the day. I was madly doing pevlic floor excersices at my seat thinking why didn't i do this more often earlier!

Thurs night become quiet upset i started looking on the internet the difference between incont and water breaking. everything was pointing toward my waters. Times it was happening, smell,colour, but i still was so unsure. Went to bed all upset with myself again.
    Friday 14th (Good Friday) it continued so now i start to panic. DH rings doc and leaves a page as couldnt get through. wait a few hrs havent heard so ring the hospital. They say come in and get checked out.
    Hooked up to CTG monitor when i arrived nurses wanted to contact my dr and get him in, this took a few hrs so i sat on the bed getting monitored.
    As soon as dr examined me internally i was told i had ruptured the membranes and would not be leaving the hospital, so i was admitted and told i could go into labour overnight, or i could last as long as 4weeks.
    Saturday and Sunday came i began to think i'd be there a while. (what a way to spend Easter!)
    1am Monday 17th April i awoke with mild contractions. monitored them myself for 2hrs before calling nurses in. Hooked up to machine and and yes i was having contractions. DH came in approx 4am
    6am I was being moved into the birthing suite.
    I had all these dreams of moving and trying different positions whilst in labour but had to spend the whole entire time on the bed hooked up to the CTG machine.
    10am first internal showed my cervix was all thinned out but yet to start dialating.
    Continued contractions all day, had pethadine which i felt made me too druggy, later into it had gas and found it worked well to breath through the contractions, they continued to come stronger and longer and thought i MUST be progressing.
    4pm and my next internal showed my cervix had still not began dialiting and the decision was made to have an emerging c-section.
    Extremley upset at the concept DH supported me the entire time.
    Had the epidural and met DH in theatre, Although this was the most exciting time i was so worn out i could have almost slept and i felt even worse for feeling this way.

5.08pm Nixon Milton Powell entered the world weight 2.296kg (5pound) and 48cm he was 6 1/2 weeks early so a GREAT size for his age.
    I had a quick cuddle before he had to be taken to NICU with daddy, then i had to be fixed up and went into recovery felt like an eternity.
    I was wheeled to see him on my bed but had no contact he was in the humidi crib and i was unable to move anything other then my head.

Once back up in my room all i wanted to do was see my son.I had 1 photo the nurse took to hold and i just stared at it all night. I had a drip in my hand which was helping contract my uterus but at the same time the drugs started to wear off and I felt the most excrushiating pain ever felt in my life. I had to stick with this pain for almost an hr before more drugs were given and kicked in. DH must have been scared for me as i was screaming when they were trying to move me. I would have done another 13hrs straight of labour again then to have felt that pain for a min longer....
    Anyway all is well now, i came home after 6 days in hospital but my little boy is still there, he has progessed remarkably each day and I can't wait to have him home! He needed help breathing for the first 4 days and had lots of tests/scans/drips/needles happening. He has gone from ICU into Special care now, started feeding (through a tube) and might get his first bath in the next day or two!
    I now beleive in "Love at first sight" and DH & I cannot beleive we have created such a strong and gorgeous son! He obviously could not wait any longer to meet us either!

Sal Guest

Wow Nickers that is some story. How fantastic that Nixon was such a good size, sounds like you were never going to make 40w! Congrats, hope you're healing up well.

It is great to hear your story Nickers,and even though things didnt go to plan, you still got the same result of a beautiful baby boy! Well done, and here's hoping that he is home with you very soon.

So happy for you Nickers!!! \/

Well done Nic and to your DH too; sounds like he was excellent in supporting you through such a frightening time. That's amazing that you laboured all day without dilation! Good grief! How demoralising and confusing! I also hear you on the post-birth contractions; even though I've never had a c-section I've always had the most excruciating post birth contractions that were like labour revisited... last time this happened on day 3! Anyhow at least you found the staff at the Mercy generally supportive... and what an amazing result! To have such a well developed little boy at 32 weeks! 5 pounds is amazing! You'll have to keep a journal of his progress somewhere... (?) maybe his website? Looking forward to seeing the new pictures too Take care darl *hugs*

thats an amazing story Nic, so glad you got such a healthy strong boy! hope hes home with you soon.

Wonderful story Nickers! And what a lovely Easter present!!

mizzsocial Guest

what a great easter present!!!!

Im so glad you are both doing well..

Congrats Nickers =D> I hope you can bring him home soon!

Cee_Cee99 Guest

Nickers - awww.. thanks so much for sharing your story, 48cm is amazing, he is going to be HUGE, geez, I think I was only 50cm at full term.. So proud of you - you are now a mummy! Does not sound like you had an easy time, but you have managed to have a beautiful healthy son, soon you will be posting pictures of him running around...

Congrats again -
    Luv
    CC

Congratulations on your little boy! (Well, not that little - what a great size for so early!)

I so hope he's home with you soon to have lots of cuddle with his mum and dad!

Congratulations I am so happy for you and thank you for sharing.

Thanks for sharing Nic. Sounds like he is doing great!!

Hi Nic, Thanks for sharing your story. And you're right Nixon is so gorgeous! So glad that he is home with you and doing great!

what a great size for such an early arrival. Little fella in a hurry !

tiggy Guest

Nic,
    thanks for sharing your scary yet exciting journey!
    I hope he brings you all the joy in the world

Wow Nickers... such an experience. I remember when they broke my waters, I was sitting there knowing it was my waters but thinking I had pee'd myself

Thank you for sharing your's and Nixon's story

Wow Nickers... such an experience. I remember when they broke my waters, I was sitting there knowing it was my waters but thinking I had pee'd myself

Thank you for sharing your's and Nixon's story