Thread: Samuals breech birth (sorry its a bit long)

frazaled1971 Guest

Default Samuals breech birth (sorry its a bit long)

Well this was to be our sixth baby and a bit of a surprise as we thought we had finished our family but the powers that be had other plans for us.
    We found out we were pregnant at 12 weeks and as my other kids were now 17,15,13,12 and 7 and i was now 36 i was a little worried but other wise very happy.
    At my first antinatal appointment i was told that as this was bub number 6 i would be lucky to carry to term ,i thought ok well so long as we make it to 37 weeks thats fine ,second appointment i was told as i was a large person(i am very over weight) that i was putting my baby at risk as they were sure i had to have GD,well i didnt and the pregnacey went fine not problems at all till we got to 32 weeks and had a sizing scan as they thought bub was big.
    Well he was big and breech they said not to worry to much yet and they would do another scan at 35 weeks,well sure enough bub was still breech.
    We were going through belmont hospital for my antinantal but would deliver at john hunter well the first thing they told us was that we would have to have a c/s i totally freaked out that is my worst fear on earth so i told them i would not be having one,so they sent me to see DR Bisits at JJH.
    Thank god they sent me to see him as he said so long as bubs feet were in the right spot he would let me have a vaginal delivery and so long as bub didnt get to big.
    All i can say is this man is a saint and i will owe him my gratitude for the rest of my life.
    WE tried turning bub with all the things on spinning babies ,it didnt work and then we had 4 failed ECV's(were they try to turn bub externally).
    I went to 41 weeks and there was no sighn of bub comming so it was decided to break my waters.
    we got to the hospital at 7.30am on 29.03.08 and my water was broken at 8.30am well nothing happened not even a niggle they really dont like to induce breech births with the drip but had to for me so drip went on at 2pm at the lowest dose it took turning it up a few times till the contractions became regular at about 4.30pm and were 2 mins apart.
    I had always had very good labours and fast my longest being 4 hours with number 1 and my shortest being 28 mins so i was expecting a fairly quick labour again although i thought it might be a few hours as it was breech.
    This labour was by far the worst most painfull by a long shot it was in my back as well my stomach but the back pain oh boy,i was not allowed pain releaf except gas which never did much for me in previous labours so i didnt even bother with it and as i had done the others drug free i thought i would be fine,how wrong was i ,i almost begged for a s/c lucky no one listned to me lol.
    At about 8pm i got the urge to push but i wasnt fully dialated so i was standing up over the bed to help with this next thing DR Bisits said come on give me a push well what a lovely feeling to be able to push unfortunatly the contractions were now not only in my back and front but also running down my legs and i just couldnt stand any more so after about 10 mins of pushing this way and they tell you that there will be muconium as bubs bum is being pushed but boy it was everywhere i wouldnt have thought a baby had so much in them lol,well they got me on the birthing stool.
    DR Bisits said ok vicki give me a good push well what a feeling i pushed his whole body out in 2 pushes and it felt so much differnt to my other bubs he then said come on one more well i had no urge and as this is the danger time for a breech baby i freaked a little and just pushed with everything in me and out he came.
    he was perfect and crying so i knew he was fine he did have a huge bruise on his right hip from the pressure .
    Samual Raymond was born at 8.45 pm weighing 4040 or 8lbs 15 oz ,length 56 cm h/c 37cm.
    i found out the next day that had DR Bisits followed hospital recommendations i would have had a c/s,to have a breech vaginal births baby must be under 4kg with feet in the right position not be over due and not be posterior well samual was over 4kg his feet were off to the side not straight up he was overdue by 1 week and he was posterior so had any other doctor turned up i woulnd have gotten the birth i wanted.
    well we were both fine i did get my first lot of stitches but only 3 and we were discharged 5 hours after he was born at 2.30 am sunday morning.

while this was the hardest birth i ever had i did get what i wanted a healthy baby boy born vaginally so all the pain was more then worth it and i can't thank DR Bisits enough his faith in me gave me the faith to know i could do this perticually at the end when i really didnt think i could handle any more,the mid wife was also fantastic and really helped me through the end when i want to give up.

well im really sorry about how long this turned but thanks for reading it.

Congratulations Vicki!!! You did so well

Sounds like you had fantastic support around you too- it's amazing what others having faith in you can do. A very inspiring story!

Awesome! Congratulations to you and your family.
    What a fantastic birth story, I'm so glad you got the birth you wanted and you did great!

Welldone!
    Congratulations on such an amazing birth!

Wooohoo, congratulations on getting the birth you wanted you did a great job. Thankyou for taking the time to share this precious memory. I hope you are enjoying your little fellow.

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

Congratulations on an awesome birth and for sticking to your guns and having the birth you wanted!!!!

Such a wonderful story to hear about a natural breech birth!!!!! Great doctor for looking after you also!!!

Well done again!!

Congrats on the birth of your son. Good on you for sticking to your guns and having the birth you wanted, and what a great OB to help you out like that!!

Congrats on the birth of your little boy, and getting the birth you wanted.... its great to hear that there are some wonderful OB's out there.... especially in Newcastle!!
    Thanks for sharing your story.

Good on you and congrats on a healthy baby. If i was you i would have demanded the vaginal birth too. I always said i wanted a c-section but after seeing how much harder they are i'd give birth naturally anyday and i will make sure i exhaust every measure before i let them cut me open.

Ellibam Guest

Vicki that is awesome! im so glad you got the birth you wanted!!
    i have been cheering for you from day dot! i knew you could do it!

Congratulations Vicki, sounds like you did a fantastic job hun.

WTG on getting your breach vaginal birth

Congratulations! Way to go! I hope your OB educates others in the lost art of breech deliveries - there is no one in my area who will do one. We need more doctors who will let women try it.

Hi Vicki. I was very interested to hear your story. I, too, have a breech baby, and am due late next week. I've seen Dr Bisits a couple of times (one for a failed ECV), and I'm extremely impressed by him. He's on holidays at the moment, so I've told bubs to come a few days late (to coincide with his return)!
    Can you tell me if Samuel's feet have stayed around his head? I have heard that because breech babies have spent so much time in that position, that's how they stay for a few weeks after the birth! Just wondering if that was the case with you...This is my first pregnancy, so I'm really not sure what I'm in for. Like you, I tried everything, including the breech tilt, and acupuncture as well as the ECV. I've accepted now that baby is just happy in the position he/she is in, and I'm committed to having a vaginal birth. Thanks again for sharing your story!

frazaled1971 Guest

hi telky,
    Dr Bisits is the best i dont know what to say this was bub 6 for me so he just let me do my own thing as his thery was i knew from previous bubs what i was feeling and how i was going but if he beleaves you can do it then i beleave you will i do think a lot of it is our own thinking process i was determined and i was not going to have a c/s so i did ,i wont lie to you sam was also postieria so it was a bit more painfull then my others but still well worth it.
    as for the legs sam had his feet around his head from 31 weeks but in the last 3 weeks he put them down and to the side so im not sure if he would have kept his legs up but i had also heard that this is sometimes the case,sam dose like to keep his legs very close to his body but then lots of bubs do that so who knows.
    sam has since had to go and have a hip check as they thought his right hip was dislocated but its not and while there is a click there they want to wait a little longer to see if it corrects itself,and this would have been an issue even if born buy c/s so its not the vaginal birth that cases hip issues its just something that breech babies can have.
    i wish you the best of luck and i know this sounds a silly but i felt so over the moon when he was born not only did i get the birth i wanted but he was perfect(ok a huge bruise on his right hip but other wise) and i felt like i had just done something that not many people get to do and it felt great.

as for him being on holidays im sure bub will listen he went away a few times at the end of my pregnancy and he always said to me not this weekend vicki or not this thursday as i wont be here and sure enough sam didnt come till dr bisits weekend on lol.

clubJWP Guest

great doctor you've consulted, great family around you..
    good luck and congratulations on the birth of your son

regards

JWP

Congratulations

Good job

Im happy you got the birth you asked for

Awesome.. I can not believe that you were allowed to have a breech baby in Newcastle.. WTG.. Great story BTW..