Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sebastian's Birth - very long!

Thumbs up Sebastian's Birth - very long!

"Sebastian's Birth Story", or "How my drug-free birth-centre birth made me feel like Wonderwoman"

I was due on the Friday of that week, and on Monday we had had a fantastic thunderstorm. I was kind of over being pregnant and hoped that perhaps the storm would get things moving. A little back pain and increased BH contractions made me think that perhaps things were on the way, but when I attended my Birth Centre appt the midwife told me that the reason I had been having back pain was that the baby was starting to turn posterior. I was not only disappointed, but also worried about a painful and extended labour, so went home kind of bummed!

Around 4pm on Wednesday afternoon, I begin to feel some period pain, but had felt in the week or two before, so wasnít that excited about it. However, as I start cooking tea at about 7:30, it begins to get more insistent. M and I sit down in front of the TV to have dinner at about 8pm, and I watch while on hands and knees on the floor, in an attempt to make sure the baby didnít turn any more. By this stage the period pains have started to become quite regular, and are tighter across my lower belly. I say to M, ďItís possible Iím having contractions.Ē He looks a little surprised and says, ďReally?!Ē

The TV programme finishes, and I tell M he should go to bed, since if it is labour, he needs to sleep for a while, and if it isnít, he still has to go to work the next day! I go over and post on Bellybelly (!) and then continue to watch TV for a while, trying to ignore the contractions. I also have some cramping and diarrhoea. I decide to go for a walk at around 11pm to see what would happen, so harness up the dog, and off we go around the block. I start to time the contractions again. Theyíre coming about 4 mins apart, and lasting for about 1 Ĺ minutes. As we start up our street towards home, I can no longer just walk through them; I have to stop and breathe. Things are getting serious!

Back home, I page the midwife and tell her what is happening. She asks if I am OK to stay home for now (yes) and if the contractions are regular (yes) and if the baby is moving in between contractions (yes). She suggests I get into the shower for pain relief, but to try and rest as much as possible. I try to sleep, but the contractions are too intense when I lie down. I also have to run to the toilet again. The pain is making me quite nauseous, and I hurt in my hips and pelvis. The shower helps with the pain but Iím soon too hot.

I ring the midwife again. Itís about 1:50 am and Iím not sure what I should do. She suggests to come in to the Birth Centre; there is another woman in labour so sheíll be there anyway. I wake M, who is fairly groggy, understandably! He starts to get dressed while I go and hang out on the toilet again, with more diarrhoea. There is some pressure in my bottom at the start of the contractions now.

Driving through the early morning streets is surreal. The midwife, Jenny, lets us in and we walk through to our room. Thereís a double bed, bathroom, and couches, mat and birth ball. Jenny checks my blood pressure, pulse and temperature, and asks if I would like her to do an internal exam. I decline, deciding that Iím already in quite a bit of pain and fairly tired, and Iím not sure I can take the disappointment of only being a couple of centimetres dilated. She then leaves us alone so she can attend to the other labouring woman, telling us to call if we need her. M lies on the bed and I suggest he sleep some more, while I go in the shower.

Again, the shower helps, but Iím starting to get kind of bored with the whole idea of contractions! They just keep coming, very regular and quite intense. I feel the need to vocalise through the pain, a soft moaning seems to help get the pain out of my body. I start to wonder why there isnít a better way to do this, and I also start to think I will need some pain relief. The midwife has a copy of my birthplan, and she knows that Iíve nominated gas and air as my pain relief, but not anything else. The Birth Centre offers pethidine and morphine, but no epidural. I toy with the idea of an epidural, thinking about it during the contraction itself, and then deciding I donít want it once the pain ends. Iím amazed at how full-on they are, and then how much better I feel when they go! I guess itís the endorphins kicking in.

I start to become more nauseous, and begin to throw up. After the second time I call for the midwife, who gives me an injection, and asks would I like to try the gas and air? I have woken M by this stage Ė heís only had another hour of sleep but I feel like I need the company. If I have to suffer, so should he, dammit! I get back into the shower and the midwife brings the nitrous. She shows me how to use it, and after two short sucks I decide I donít want to use it. It makes me feel light-headed and the taste bothers me.

Iím starting to despair a little. I have no idea how long Iíve been doing this, but it feels like a really long time (in fact itís about 6 am by now) and I donít want to do it anymore. Iím exhausted and I call the midwife again. She suggests an internal exam to see whatís going on, and I agree. Iím seven cm dilated! ďYouíre such a legend!Ē Jenny tells me.

Sheís offered the bath before, but the warmth of the water didnít seem to appeal to me, but now when she offers, I decide itís probably not a bad idea. (When I see her again two days later she said she was trying to think about how she was going to get me through this, as I seemed so exhausted, and the bath seemed like the best option). I still havenít lost my plug or had my waters break, and I just want someone to offer me something, anything which will make the pain go away. Really, I want an epidural. But I know that involves going to the hospital, and Iím also reluctant to ask for it myself. I need them to suggest it to me!

We walk across to the bathroom Ė M tosses a sarong around my shoulders. Iíve been naked for the last 4-5 hours and I really donít care. The bath is huge, and I get in while M goes off to call my parents to let them know Iím in labour Ė theyíll travel up to Perth today so that they can meet their new grandchild, and heís going to arrive on my mumís birthday!

Once in the bath, the contractions seem a little more bearable. I hold onto one of the railings with my left hand, and Iíll keep hold of it for the next three hours. For some reason, itís impossible to let it go. The contractions are closer now, and sometimes thereís hardly a break in between. Jenny tells me that I can have some pain relief if I would like, and that Iíve done so well, thereís no need to feel like Iím failing if I have any. The idea of not having pain is so welcome, but M tells her my reactions to codeine and she agrees the morphine will probably give me a similar effect. I decide I want to be present rather than feeling nauseous and removed from the situation, and decline the drugs.

Thereís a shift change and Naomi, my new midwife takes over. I register that she is there, but by now Iím very focussed inward, on myself. I know M and she are in the room, but itís if weíre on different sides of a window, or as if Iím in a bubble by myself, and they canít quite reach me. At this point I also feel a release of pressure inside, and as if I am losing liquid Ė ďI think my waters may have broken,Ē I tell them. Lots of lovely words of reassurance all round Ė what great support people J

Naomi begins to monitor the baby using the Doppler. Sometimes it feels annoying, but Iím also reassured that his heartbeat seems constant Ė I might be going through agony, but he doesnít seem to mind any of this at all. M asks Naomi how long Iíll stay in the bath for (he doesnít ask me, heís given up trying to have a conversation as Iím not in a talking mood!!), and she says, ďAs long as she wants.Ē This encourages me to consider getting out, since Iím feeling a bit stiff and the water is starting to go cold. I stand up to get out, and the midwife says, ďOh, and thereís your show.Ē Thatís the warm release of pressure I had felt before. Iím both disgusted and fascinated at the bloody mucousy plug Ė itís huge! M helps me out of the water, and the midwife has set up a beanbag and mirror and torch. Out of the water, the contractions seem stronger, with a lot more pressure in my bottom. Naomi suggests an examination, and tells me Iím fully dilated. I can start pushing now.

By now the contractions are so full-on. Iím tired and thirsty. M hands me a glass of water after every contraction, as Iím groaning loudly through the pain. Once the contraction is over, I slump forward on the beanbag and doze. I think how strange it is that I can sleep in between! Naomi tells me it wonít be long now, and I ask if it will be about 10 minutes? She kind of laughs, and says, ďA bit longer than that, but it will seem like 10 minutes to you.Ē What a diplomat!

In reality, it is almost 2 hours later, and Iím still pushing and failing to progress. I tell Naomi that I donít want to tear. She says, itís OK if I do, and I say, ďbut not a fourth degree tear!Ē and she tells me thatís never happened to her, and sheíll tell me when to stop pushing so Iím less likely to tear. I get a cramp in my leg, and after massaging it out, Naomi suggests that I get on the birthing stool, and Iím grateful for the change in position. However, this also makes me want to poo, and Iím very disappointed in having to do that! Sheís very good though, gets rid of it straight away, and M laughs (this was something heíd teased me about ALL pregnancy!).

I hear Naomi discussing something with another midwife at the door, and I want her to come back. I donít want her to leave me alone. She returns and tells me that we may need to take me up to the hospital to give me a bit of help. ďWhat kind of help?Ē I ask, worried that she means I need a caesarean. ďProbably an episiotomy and perhaps vacuum for the babyís head Ö is that OK?Ē I nod. Iím exhausted. ďPlease donít leave me, though,Ē I ask her. She tells me sheíll be right back, but she has to call them to let them know weíre coming up (and at this stage Iím trying to work out how I will actually move from where I am, because getting up seems inconceivable).

Naomi leaves the bathroom, and M and I are left alone. Another contraction hits me, and M begins to encourage me. ďCome on, Becca, push, you donít want to go upstairs, give it all youíve got!Ē Itís what I needed Ė the threat of having to leave the Birth Centre and M helping me along. I feel the head start to crown. Itís really painful.

Naomi hears this and comes in with the other midwife. ďOh, looks like youíre having a baby here after all!Ē she laughs, and comes in to help me. She unwraps some gloves and waits for the next contraction, which is not far away. As I push down, she begins to guide the head out Ė he needs some help coming through as heís got his hand on his face, up near his ear. (Thatíll be the pokes and prods Iíve been feeling on my cervix for the last couple of weeks). Her fingers around the head, helping it through, is seriously the most excruciating pain I have ever felt. I scream Ė a really, full-on, deep-throated scream. I can see M with his head in his hands. He tells me later itís the worst sound he has ever heard, and all he wanted to do was rush over and push the midwife away and stop the pain. ďAnother big push,Ē Naomi tells me, and I think, but Iím not having a contraction! And yet I do, I push three times, quick small pushes, and with a gush he slips out, and she catches him, and there is a baby, looking straight at me with his big dark eyes, and blinking slowly. I am so surprised. I canít believe he actually came out of me. I gasp, ďOh my God, a baby!Ē I am really that amazed. Naomi gives him to me and I hold him while he looks at me and around himself, and we wait for the cord to finish pulsing. Naomi asks M is he sure he wouldnít like to cut the cord? And to my surprise, and his, I think, he does.

As Iíve been sitting on the birth stool for over an hour now, Naomi suggests I lie back on the beanbag for delivery of the placenta. But I canít move. I need both M and Naomi to help lift me off the stool as my body has been stuck in the same position for so long it wonít do what I want any more. Iím in a bit of a daze. I feel so tired but the endorphins have obviously kicked in, because I donít feel like Iím in pain at all. The delivery of the placenta is vaguely uncomfortable, but itís soon over. Naomi checks it for holes and explains what the different parts are. Itís really quite gross. Meanwhile the baby and I are relaxing on the beanbag, and I feel very warm. Naomi takes off the towel sheís covered us with so that we wonít get too coldÖ and I have meconium ALL over me, ewww! Itís so disgusting, but also strikes us all as quite funny Ė sleep deprivation, I guess!

By now itís about an hour after he was born. We walk back to our room, well, I waddle, really. Iím very very swollen, but so incredibly happy, and I didnít tear! Naomi helps me into bed and gives me an frozen pad for my nether regions, cleans me up a little and then does measurements etc on baby, and checks temperature. I still feel slightly removed from the room, a little dazed, and I wonder if itís the two breaths of gas I took earlier. Later I come to recognise this feeling as just complete exhaustion (and a little anaemia)!! M dresses our newborn son, Naomi wraps him up, and he is put beside us in a little cot for us to wonder at. Weíve done it, with no drugs, and I feel amazing, empowered and elated. It has been such a beautiful environment to have a baby in, and as if to complete the experience, our fantastic midwife then asks us both, ďNow. Would you like a cup of tea?Ē

So we sit there, and drink tea, and beam at one another. Itís already 5 weeks later that Iím finishing this birth story, and thinking about it still makes me feel great.

Sasha, what a totally fantastic story hun. Well done to you. Sounds like it went great

Bec, what a fantastic birth. Congratulations again, and well done for doing it with no drugs.

Great story, congratulations and welcome Sebastian

Great story...excellent work!! Welcome to your beautiful son.

Sasha, what a great story!! It's amazing how another persons story can make you remember something to do with your own birth. Well done on drug free.

what an excellent story.Massive congrats to you and thankyou for sharing.
    xoox

Bec that sounds like it was fantastic - well done honey

That Was Such A Great Story!

What a beautiful story!!!! Isn't it funny how DH are about being naked in labour, my DH kept trying to cover me up too whcih I thought was so sweet. You did a great job

Shontelle75 Guest

Congratulations Sasha! It sounds like you earned that cuppa!

Shontelle xx

Hi Bec. That was a truly beautiful and inspiring birth story. I am giving birth in a birth centre some time in the next 2/3/4/5 weeks and it is so wonderful and motivating to hear about a drug free birth. Thanks for giving me confidence to trust myself!

What a great story Bec! Very inspiring.

Thanks everyone

Christyb wrote

Thanks for giving me confidence to trust myself
    you're welcome! It's amazing what your body can achieve! Have a great birth

Wow Bec!! You are wonderwoman! Well done, that sounds like an amazing experience.

Bec...what a gorgeous story!

Congratulations on such a wonderful birth...

Congratulations on a beautiful, empowering birth. Thank you for sharing it with us

What an awesome birth story! Thank you so much for sharing something with so much power in it. Hope you other births went just as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast