Thread: The story of Luke's birth

carmen Guest

Default The story of Luke's birth

Hello

I wanted to share this story with you.

On Sunday night at about 3:30am, I woke up and I was lying in a wet patch, I woke up James and said that I thought that my waters had broken. We rang the hospital and I explained what had happened and that the waters were clear, they said that since I had no contractions I should go to the hospital at about 7:30am that morning since they thought that I should go to sleep and try to rest.

That morning, we made a couple of calls to let the relatives in the UK know and then took the labour bag into hospital (only a three minute drive away). We arrived and I showed the midwife the pad that I had in - she said that she wasn't convinced that my waters had broken so they hooked me up to the fetal monitor.

Baby's heartbeat was fine and the monitor showed that I was having some contractions although I was in no pain at all. The doctor then came and did an internal and said that my membranes were in tact so I should go home.

James and I went home really deflated and just kept telling ourselves that hopefully it would happen soon and we would appreciate the rest now.

Later that day (about 5:45pm), I felt another large leak and the fluids in my pad were now pinkish - I rang the hospital again but I still wasn't getting any contractions. The midwife said that they were happy for me to come back in and get checked out again since we lived so close.

I went back in and was put on the monitor, again baby's heartbeat was fine and although they were picking up some contractions they weren't painful. After another internal where I was told that my cervix was softening I was told to go home again but that they were expecting me back that night or early the next morning.

At about 8pm, I started getting contractions which were painful, I had a shower and then put on my TENS machine which was a big help. I was lying on the floor increasing the power of the machine with each contraction (pelvic rocking etc wasn't helping). At about 10:45, the contractions were about 3 mins apart so I rang the hospital again and said that I was coming back in.

We arrived at the hospital and I was put on the fetal monitor again; baby's heart rate had dropped slightly so I was told that I had to keep the monitor on and stay lying on my left hand side since whenever I moved the heartrate dropped.

After a while I asked for more pain relief and was given gas - once I got the hang of it, it was really helpful. Since I was still on the monitor, James could tell me when a contraction was coming and easing so that I could inhale and then remove the mouthpiece. He was wonderful throughout the labour, although he does feel that he wasn't actually able to be much use.

At about 1am, I asked for more pain relief, I was given an internal and was told that I was three cm dilated so I was given a shot of pethidine.

At about 2:45am, I just wanted to push but I was told that it was far too early - I was then given an internal and the midwives were amazed that there was only a bit of cervix left but it could be pushed back.

The doctor arrived not longer after that and he said that I was fully dilated and to go ahead and push. Baby was helped out by the vacuum since his heart rate was still dropping but then he just popped out.

He was 8lb 4oz and I was told afterwards that the obs didn't think that I was going to be able to deliver him since I am built fairly small and he expected to be called in to do an emergency c-section.

Luke is fine and healthy, although I have developed a bell's palsy which means that the nerves on the left hand side of my face have decided to stop working (expected to be temporary and I am on drugs to clear it up).

Sorry for the long story but I wanted to write it all down so I had a record of it while I can still remember.

Carmen, thanks for sharing that wonderful story with us. I hope the Bells Palsy clears up for you soon!

Thanks for sharing your story Carmen, and congratulations again !!

Love :hbeat:

Congratulations to you and you Hubby on the safe arrival of Luke. Thanks for sharing your story.

Take care
    Trish

Hi Carmen, great story, thanks for sharing it!

Jo

Thanks for sharing your story Carmen

Melinda Guest

Thanks for sharing your story about Luke's arrival Carmen! I hope the Bells Palsy disappears as quickly as possible for you.....my OB suspected that I may have been headed for it during my PG, but thankfully it didn't eventuate (I had some strange symptoms that sometimes preceed BP).

WOW Carmen thanks so much for sharing your story!! I hope the Bells Palsy dissappears quickly for you!

WOW Carmen! What a great story!!! Thanks for sharing it

Congratulations to you and DH on the birth of little Luke!!

Wow Carmen, what a great story, Welcome to your darling Luke and congratulations to you and your DH. My 3rd was 8lb 4oz and I am only small too, but she fitted thankfully. How long was Luke?
    Best wishes Michelle

spiddles Guest

Congrats on the arrival of Luke!!! Your birthing story is kinda simular to mine!!! Hopefully wasn't too hard on you!!

Thanks for sharing that lovely story carmen. Luke is just gorgeous!

Pietta Guest

BIG Congrats to you and DH Carmen!! I hope your first few weeks are great and that you ease into a lovely rountine!!

Look forward to seeing u in the newborn forum!!
    Thanks for sharing your story.

carmen Guest

Thanks for the messages, Luke was 50.5cm with a head circumference of 35cm.

Take care

Carmen, I can't believe you remained so calm when you were sent home. I think I would have broken down!

I am glad it all worked out so well and no caesarean was needed (see, doctors can be wrong, too!)

Congratulations again and well done! And thanks for sharing!

Snowy

Ms Lee Guest

Hi Carmen

Woohoo your baby would be over a month old now, congratulations =D> ! Hope everything is going well. I loved reading your birth story, thanks!

carmen Guest

hello

I realised that I forgot to post and let you know that the Bells Palsy is completely gone - it started improving after about 4 weeks and was gone after 5 weeks.

I have been in lots of photos since I look normal again!!