Thread: A successful vbac.

mrmoo Guest

Default A successful vbac.

Labour started 5pm Tuesday afternoon, and after an hour I noticed they were staying at a regular 6 minutes apart. By 8pm they moved closer to 4 minutes apart and I phoned the hospital and they said wait until I " feel " I can't handle it anymore then come in. Dh phoned his folks to warn them and make preparations for young dd to stay with them. By 8.30pm dh was getting antsy so we decided to go in. Dropped off young dd and arrived at the hospital at 9.30pm.

For some reason I can't work out, time seems to move very fast in a hospital and the next 2 hours flew by. Contractions went from 4-6 minutes to being a little closer and lasting longer, I was sick once and paced and breathed hard during each contraction, this was my way of managing them. At about 11.30pm the midwife and doctor came in to talk about the constant monitering which absolutely horrified me because this meant that I'd be permanently strapped to the bed with the two belts - one for the baby's heartbeat and the other for the uterus in case it ruptured. This would definitely hamper my ability to have an active and manageable labour. I needed to pace and I was told if I didn't have the belts on I could be placing myself and the baby at risk of danger if they weren't able to look at the read outs. So I let the belts be placed for about 10 minute. Unfortunately I started to get irritated and agitated because I couldn’t walk, pace or manage the contractions and they were getting more painful. I got off the bed and would sit on the edge of it but each contraction would stop me from holding the monitors for their readings. I kept complaining to dh and he'd try to reassure me that I was doing fine, but I didn’t feel like I was. The room was heating up - more because I was getting more and more angry about being " tied " up. After 10 minutes I'd had enough - "[email protected] this" (sorry , this was the only time I swore) and took the belts off and left them on the bed and went to the loo during which I had another contraction. I came out of the bathroom and dh helped me to simmer back down. Soon the midwife came back in, saw the belts on the bed but didn't say anything when I plainly said "I had to go to the loo". Smart woman...

By this time it was about midnight and the doctor came in to check how far dialated I was... 6 cm. Wow!!! Already, and only 4 cm to go, woohoo!!! After this for the next 2 hours the contractions got really hard to handle and I would lean into dh with my arms around his neck and I'd moan through them. Nothing else worked, leaning on the fit ball or the bed, plus this gave dh something to do, not that he was bored by any means (lol). After 1am the contractions were getting harder still and instead of leaning into dh I used his arms as my leaning posts and would moan even louder. Soon I was getting hysterical to the point where I was beginning to think I couldn't handle the pain anymore. There was not much in back pain, it was more in the front - on the bone - and it fricking hurt. I was even asking for pethedine. I didn't want it but I wanted this pain on the pubic bone to stop and all this time I'm waiting for the waters to break, but they didn't.

At 1.55am, the doctor came in and both she and the midwife both said breaking the waters would be a better option has it would bring 2nd stage a lot closer but make the pain even more intense. Ok, but it depends on how far dialated I am. The doctor checked... 9cm, 1cm to go... Yes, do it, break the waters. OMG!!! For the next 20 minutes all I wanted to do was stop the pain, I was hysterical, I felt I wasn't managing it, it was all on the pubic bone and every contraction all I wanted to do was bear down but not really push. Two more older midwives came in to help, the first must have sensed or known that birth wasn't far away. Each contraction I was still standing, leaning on dh but I also wanted to bear down to the point it seemed I was trying to push the baby out.

I was asked to get onto the bed but I couldn't move, the pain was so intense. The three midwives and dh had to move me into position, I just couldn't do it. Every contraction had me yelling. I was asked to close my mouth but still make as much noise as I needed and to push down through my bottom. For the next 3 or 4 contractions this was what was asked of me, this I would do and I would be roaring through clenched teeth. Dh was asked if he wanted to see the crowning... "Ahh, no thanks, I'll stay here where I'm needed". I was holding his hand, I'm surprised I didn't break his thumb! Oh come out baby, pleeaase, this pain is unbearable. I'm waiting for them to announce the head is born but he stopped half way and I had to stop pushing. "Let him stretch you" the midwife is saying. Stopping was the hardest and that was when I thought I'd lost all energy. "Ok, push". "I can't". "You can". I knew I had to but I felt I had no more energy to use to push. "Just push through your bottom". I did it and baby's head came out. Wait for the next contraction and his body slipped out. Oh the wonderful feeling of his body slipping out. It was all over.

At 2.20am Wednesday 25th January, my perfect little boy was born. A successful VBAC story. He weighed in @ 10lb 4oz, 57cm long and 36.5cm head circumference. I ended up with x2 slight internal grazes and no stitches. I was home by 8.30pm that same day, with my perfect, healthy little boy.

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

Congratulations on such an awesome job of bringing your little man into the world!!!!

Wow!! Well done mrmoo! Thanks so much for sharing. It's great to hear that you got to still be upright for your VBAC. Good on you.

wow, great work, 10 pounds and no tears or pain relief. you go girl. Thank you for sharing your story.

Fantastic job hun. Not a bad sized bub there.

Thank you for sharing your story with us. Congratulations once again

Woo hoo, congratulations! Great story

Thanks for sharing your story. Good size bubba - well done!

Well done! I'm so glad you got the VBAC you wanted so much. Congratulations