Thread: Thomas Gabriel was in a hurry!

Default Thomas Gabriel was in a hurry!

Wed 20/09/06, 35w 6d. Had ob appt at lunchtime and didn't have to go back to work. Had lunch with DH and did some shopping in town. By the time I had to pick DS up from day care I was exhausted and feeling ill. I started vomitting when I got home.

Thurs 21/09/06 36w. Still vomitting. Barely kept any fluid down and no food.

Fri 22/09/06 36w 1 d. Rang ob at 7am to tell her I was still vomitting. She told me to go straight to the labour ward to be put on a drip for re-hydrating. This should have been my last day at work but instead I spent the whole day in hosp. My colleagues had cake and morning tea and lunch for my last day without me!!

Sun 24/09/06 36w 3d. Starting to feel better. Didn't eat much but kept it down and was able to drink some water.

Mon 25/09/06 - 36w 4d. Woke up with painful BHs. Not regular, but more painful than they'd been. I had a shower and they eased off. My cleaner came and she said she hoped next fortnight when she came I would have my baby. I told her I wouldn't mind if it happened today. She said to at least wait until she'd left! I had to have a blood test as I'd been low on a lot of things on Fri and ob wanted to make sure it was only dehydration and nothing else. Got back from blood test and signed on to BB and was amazed to find out 4 Oct babies had already arrived. Tried to sleep at about 3pm. Pains kept waking me up and something about the intensity make me ring my ob. The pains weren't regular so she thought they were probably BH but the fact that they woke up interested her. She told me to go straight to the labour ward to have my cervix checked.

DH was home as I was still ill, so DH and I put DS in the car (no other option at point) and headed to the hosp. I hadn't packed a labour bag yet so I had to throw a few essentials together on the way out. Got in the car and they were talking about births on the radio! We got to hosp and found I was 5 cm. DH rang a friend to urgently pick up DS and I settled into a position that helped with contractions and started on the gas. The midwife was very supportive and relaxed me a lot.

Not long later I felt the urge to push. I told the midwife and my ob walked in just then as well. They sent the reception staff to find DH who had been out the front waiting for the friend to pick up DS. Just then he walked in and said jokingly "well Mel, you have till 8pm. That's when I told Jan I'd be back for Jack". He looked stunned when the m/w said that I wouldn't be needing that long. I started pushing and at 6pm, after 3 hours of labour, Thomas Gabriel arrived. Despite being early he was 6pd 8 oz (2978g) and healthy. 52cms, HC 33cms, apgars of 9 and 9. He attached and bf within an hour and blood glucose was excellent so he was allowed to stay with me instead of going to SCN.

After things had settled down DH went to get DS and bring him to meet his little brother. Jack (19months at the time) knew straight away this was the baby from Mummy's tummy and his brother and he happily patted and kissed him gently.

I was relieved to have a healthy baby despite him being early and me being ill before. I was also thrilled to get the pain relief free (excepting gas) birth I really wanted (I had an epidural first time round). I recovered much more quickly from this birth and if I do have another child I would definitely do it without the epidural. Boy does it hurt at the time, but it is worth it and afterwards I felt so glad (and proud) that I'd done it.

oh Melanie I have tears going down my face!! What a fantasic if not quick story!! Thank goodness things worked out with Jack too. Well Done!!!

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

Melanie that is an awesome birth story!!!!

It is fantastic that you got the birth experience you were after!!!!!

Hi Melanie - what a wonderful story and outcome. You must be so proud of your drug-free labour/birth. Congrats on your little man!

Melanie, thanks for sharing yout story with us.

Sounds like all went great for you.

Congratulations on the safe arrival of little Thomas.

Melanie thanks for sharing your story,
    wow he was in a hurry 3hr labour thats great!
    well done on not having the epi too
    Congratulations!