Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Waterbirth of Elizabeth Raine

Default The Waterbirth of Elizabeth Raine

This might be a bit long - even though it was short!

Towards the end of my team meeting I started to feel a bit uncomfortable and had to keep standing up. I could feel baby pushing against the waistband of my pants and was hoping she was flipping over (apparently she was posterior). I realized the feeling was on and off, and as I chatted to Sascha out the front (about feral koalas of all things) it happened about 3 times in 15 mins.

Assuming these were Braxton hicks I went inside to lie down to make them go away. No go, I couldn’t lie down. Jumped into Mitchell’s left over bath and asked Nik to come in with the digital clock. As we chatted, Nik noted the time 11.05, 11.09, 11.14. I went through all the reasons I couldn’t go early – no new couch, 2 days left of work, team leader meetings, PC offline, messy bedroom – UNFINISHED BIRTH PLAN.

11.24, 11.29, ring birth centre for opinion as I was still unsure if it was BH’s or time to go, go, go when they started increasing in intensity. Ring Diane the trainee Doula, text mum, wake Isabelle, get dressed and finish packing bags. I waddle out to car, stuffing makeup and toothbrush in my pockets. Oh God – no music, sent Nik running back inside and he comes back with ONE cd. He couldn’t; find the rest, we hid them from Mitchell!

Race to hospital, yelling at Nik to slow down (he was doing 40) and threatening him with imminent death if he didn’t get me there faster.

Arrive at Birth Centre (phew), followed quickly by Diane. I dragged out my handwritten, unfinished birth plan written on the back of the meeting agenda complete with phone messages and reminders written down the margins. Discussed overall expectations – all of which were accepted without question, I almost feel like I didn’t need it.

Pains were getting more intense, so I spent half the time sitting on fitball and leaning over the bed, or standing bent forward in a half squat whilst Nikki and Diane applied the heat packs and put very gentle pressure on my back. I was extremely sensitive at this time and they didn’t always get the pressure right but I concentrated on how annoying that was, rather than the pain itself! I was amazed at how my mind continually turned any negative thoughts into positive ones, and I found myself saying out loud through a contraction – “this is gonna finish soon you know” and “I can do this because it will be over in a while”.

The midwife wants to check the position of baby and I’m not happy about having to lie back on the bed, it’s over quickly, but seemed to trigger a very intense 5 minute long contraction that just won’t stop. I threw up everywhere (my birth trademark!), including over Nikki (tee hee hee). I ended up going right into my head and concentrated on the music – I think I actually started singing Peaches and Cream (John Butler Trio) to myself – but it worked.

When it was finally over I sat up and said right, lets go because I wont be able to move again and fairly RAN into the ensuite and dived into the bath – everyone undressing me as I went. I fidgeted around for awhile trying to get comfy. Nik and Diane were on the steps of the bath keeping cold face washers on my neck and warm ones on my back. I had my eyes closed the whole time, and waited for my body to start pushing. I felt the waters bulge and pop, pulled up onto my knees and pushed out her head. I expected a flurry of activity with hands everywhere and everyone telling me what to do, but no, so I said what do you want me to do? – What should I do now? Denise just said – “do what you feel”, so another enormous, long push and the rest came sliding out. I picked her up and brought her to the surface and kissed that tiny little face all over. Does anything beat that feeling?

I felt a million miles away in my own little world and everyone says I was), but knew if I needed it, help and support was on hand. Every so often I could hear someone telling me I was doing a great job, keep it up etc, but not enough that I needed people to shut up so I could concentrate.

I really feel like I did it all by myself and I just can’t wipe the smile off my face, but in actual fact I had excellent support from my Doula, who in turn led the way for Nikki (who actually did a pretty good job in the end), and the birth centre midwife Denise. I also had all the advice and encouragement from the girls from BellyBelly. Kelly – thanks for keeping tabs on my situation it was great knowing you were there for help and Yvette for your advice and fantastic, detailed birth plan. I took SO MUCH from it, and you were right – every big event needs a soundtrack.

Elizabeth Raine came into the world at 2.20am on 22nd March to the sounds of John Butler trio’s Seeing Angels – “I thought I was seeing angels – and now I know I was ….”

Wow Lucy, thats beautiful, glad to hear the birth was a lovely sweet event ( the same as Elizabeth is sure to be!!)

=D> Congratulations on a job well done. You should be proud of yourself.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Wow what an awesome and beautiful birth story. You did an amazing job, thanks so much for sharing it with us

wow i could only hope for such a positive experience as you've had thanks for sharing

Debbie Lee Guest

Woah!! What a story!!
    Well done, Lucy!! What an incredible woman you are.... and what a magnificent birth!! Woo hoo!!

Welcome to the world little Elizabeth!!

WOW!!! That was amazing and quick! You are a surperstar. So glad it all went well and you were happy esp with Nikki, nice that he was there and useful too. I am amazed at the whole waterbirth thing.
    best wishes michelle

:smt023 Great Job Lucy...
    I might get you to birth my next few kids, hope you dont mind!!!
    I will take over at the final pushing stage!!! hee hee!

That's fantastic, am so pleased that you finally had the wonderful birthing experience you'd hoped for!!!!

A pat on the back for Nik too!!!

=D> WOW Congratulations!!! Was wondering what had happened to you! LOL

What an amazing outcome!!
    Welcome Elizabeth!!!!

Lucy - what a beautiful birth story! Well done!! =D> Thanks so much for sharing it.

Lucy that was a great story =D> Well done!

Race to hospital, yelling at Nik to slow down (he was doing 40) and threatening him with imminent death if he didn’t get me there faster.
    I remember the same conversation going on in the car on the way to hospital in labour with Angus

That really is a beautiful birth story & birth!
    I had goosebumps reading it!

wow what a birth story! Anbd that song will always have so much meaning and be so special for you forever!

mizzsocial Guest

Sounds like a wonderful birth story!!

CONGRATS!!

if you dont mind me asking, which birthing centre in MELBOURNE did you go to?

Wow Lucy, what a great story. Great job!! If only all births were like that...

Hey Mizz, she was born at the William Angliss Family Birth Centre in Ferntree Gully.

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

wow Lulu, how fantastic, you sure have inspired me to keep going with my hopes for a water birth (in a public hospital with midwives).

I think John Butler Trio would be wrapped to know they played a part in your babe's entry to the world!

This was 4 years ago today!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast