Thread: High Blood Pressure and Pregnancy

Debbie Lee Guest

Default High Blood Pressure and Pregnancy

I've just been to the doctor and my BP is slightly high (surprise, surprise). It's always fluctuated, even when I wasn't pregnant.
    I was induced early when preggo with Gab because my BP was high - so there's definitely a history (even though my BP was fine for most of my pregnancy with her... it just went up at the end).

I've been prescribed Aldomet. Has anyone heard of this? I'm going to google it and see what I can find out. I have to take 2 a day - which is easy enough. I'll just take it with my blackmores tablets.

Anyone else having/had BP issues during pregnancy that's not necessarily pregnancy induced?

Mine fluctuates, too, but only rose at the end of the pg. Not enough to be really concerned about, though.

Hope the meds work and it stays nice and low for you

Deb i hope the tablets work for you.
    My BP is always up and down but a lot of that is to do with having PE.

Debbie Lee Guest

Thanks Natalie and Michelle

I didn't actually have PE with Gab... tho the doctors were afraid that my high BP would eventually lead to it. So that's why I was induced with Gab even though she wasn't presenting as ready for birth. She wasn't engaged and was quite happy to stay put.

kirsty Guest

Deb I am on Aldomet, due to the fact that as soon as I am pg my BP starts to rise pretty early on. Then after I lost Thomas it was found to have stayed a bit high so I am continually on it as it is one of the safest ones to take whilst pg ~ so because our aim is to have another baby one day the train of thought was to keep me on it so that when we fall pg we don't have to change to a different medication & have my body adjust to it.

Debbie Lee Guest

That's good to hear, Kirsty. Thanks for the reassurance. Knowing it is one of the safest ones to take during pregnancy will make them easier to swallow.
    Sounds like a good plan for you to be on them continually. Here's hoping that the next BFP isn't too far away, hey?

Deb, I was on Aldomet at the end of my PG with Kynan and for a couple of days after he was born. Didn't cause any problems whatsoever.

All the best. Hope your BP stays down this time!
    Last edited by Angel; November 24th, 2006 at 11:54 AM. Reason: PG brain!

kirsty Guest

Glad to be of some reassurance Deb & hopefully early next year will see us announcing another BFP.

Debbie,
    Well as you know I am on aldomet but thought I'd give you my little history - lol. When pg with Jacksen, I started getting headaches, my gp thought my bp was a little high but ob was never concerned, then towards the end of pgcy my bp had risen and I got protein in my urine, so went into hospital that night to be induced due to pre-eclampsia (It was his due date). With Harry, I never got pre-eclampsia and again whilst gp thought maybe a little high, never enough to medicate. This year, a different story. After a few checkup where my bp was continually the highest its ever been, they decided to medicate me. I had informed them I was about to begin ttc again so needed something pregnancy friendly, they prescribed Aldomet saying it was an oldie but one of the known safest, so I was very happy with that. I started on 1/2 tab, twice a day (pita chopping the tablet), but at a follow up visit, bp was still high so I am now on 1 tablet, twice a day (same as you Ithink) After about a month, it was still high, but a couple of months on, it has obviously kicked in and my pg confirmation bp was 120/70. I cant remember ever being that (not for ages anyway) so it is obviously working and therefore they dont want to alter it. My bil often asks why I cant just stop it now my bp is lowered, I am trying to explain, the medication is not a cure only a control. Anyway, I have spoken to my gp about his thoughts on buying my own bp machine, and he thought it was a good idea now I am pg to monitor as I know it can rise quickly whilst pg, so when we have a bit more cash I will invest in one. Anyway that is my aldomet story....

I too was on Aldomet in the final week before Amber was induced - no harmful/side affects here either.

Debbie Lee Guest

Kris - glad the Aldomet is doing the trick. I'm on the same dose... 2 per day. I'm getting better at remembering. I have one after my morning shower and one at dinner time (with my blackmores preggo tablets). Time will tell if it's working but I haven't had a headache since so maybe they are working? I usually get blood-pressure headaches every now and then.
    Your own BP machine sounds like a plan. I wonder if you can hire them? They'd be handy toward the end of the pregnancy. Gawd, the amount of times I had my BP taken... and they always had to track down the large cuff. I couldn't believe how the whole ward only had 1 large cuff!