Thread: High BP - Did the meds work for you?

Default High BP - Did the meds work for you?

Hi there!
    I have been put on medication for High BP ( I have had 2 readings the last 2 visits to AN clinic of 150/80 which will settle after a short time back to around 130/60or70).
    I was wondering, how effective is this medication?
    I am a bit worried at being put on it at only 31ish weeks. The mind is ticking over now and the slight headache I had yesterday freaked me out a little... LOL

If you were given medication, how long did it take to work? Did it work? If it didn't work, what did they do for you?
    I have a 19month old son who would raise anyones BP, but am chilling out when I can. I'm not sleeping very well at all.

Is there really a HUGE cause for concern with my BP at this level??

Thanks in advance

hi niadla

i was put on medication at around 6 or 7 weeks PG. my BP had always been high on first readings but GPs always thought it was white coat because it would settle. they made me wear a 24 hour monitor & because the readings were high more than 25% of the time, they put me on aldomet 250. i have been taking one tablet, twice a day but the ob has put me up to 3 tablets a day as of tuesday because i had a high reading last week.

until last week, my BP had been the best it's been for ages - was actually right on normal. obviously it's gone up a bit now but there is room to move with the meds to see what is going to work (and obviously take notice in case i start suffering from low BP if the dose is actually too much). it's a while ago since i was first put on it, but i think at an appointment about 3 weeks after i went on, my BP was fine. the ob who upped my dose this week on tuesday suggested i get it checked tomorrow (fri) to see if it has worked.

i might be wrong (i was at the hospital for 3 hours before i saw the ob & ready for a nap by the time i went in ) but the ob said that anything up to 135 is okay, but they'd prefer between 120-130 and that up to 80-90 is okay.

sorry for such a long post! if you don't mind me asking, what med are you on & what dose? it doesn't sound like your BP is too high when it settles on the second reading but i'm definitely no expert! have they checked for protein in your pee as well (it's all glamour being PG, isn't it?!)?

Thanks sloane.
    I have no protein in my urine, no swelling at all (in fact, I've lost a bit of chub from my fingers so my rings come off easier now lol).
    The medication I am in is Methyldopa (hydopa) 250mg and I take one tab twice a day.

sounds like you're in good shape (so to speak!) so hopefully the medication will control it & you won't have any pre-eclampsia

*bump*

I was put on labetalol for my bp at around 33 weeks last pregnancy. My blood pressure went back to a normal level from the first day on them and remained that way until 38 weeks. There probably isn't alot to worry about with your bp at the level it is but it can very quickly become a problem if untreated so it is best if it is kept under control.
    When my bp went up again they also found protein in my urine so I was officially a PE patient and was sent to hospital to get bubs out. I didn't like being on the meds for so long but neither my son or I had any problems related to them, and they bought him a whole lot of extra time inside. Try not to worry too much, your carers will keep a close eye on you.

Hi,

I just saw this post and wanted to say that I was put on BP meds at 37 weeks as my BP although slightly high throughout my preg. skyrocketed at my 37 weeks appointment (180/100). Instead of putting me on meds straight away I was kept in hospital for 3 days on strict bed rest to bring it down (didn't happen) after 3 days I was given meds twice a day and it took roughly 24hours for it to stabilise. Luckily for me it stabilised enough for them to let me go home (mind you I went into labour on my own that night and had to go back!)

This time around I will be monitored more closely and rather than spend that time in the hospital, hopefully they will put me on the meds first.

I also had to keep taking the BP meds until my 6 week checkup just to be on the safe side.

Hope that helps.