Thread: High BP & induction

Default High BP & induction

How high above your normal reading does your BP have to get before it becomes an issue? And what are the options if it's not PE and your BP keeps going up (or doesn't come down) regardless of meds etc? Is induction the only option? How high can you safely let your BP get whilst PG?

Thanks.

My dr told me when i was PG with DD anything 140/90 was bad and considered high, but im sure it must not have been to bad cos he didnt put me on meds or anything. I had high BP numerous times and was told i could possibly be induced.. but never was.

Hi Angel,

My experience with this is that it depends on your normal BP and if you have any other symptoms. Also what your Ob is comfortable with. How high you can let it go before intervention is really up to your Ob - mine reassured me that she was happy so long as I didn't develop any extra symptoms.
    I have had high BP for most of my PG AND edema the whole time but no other symptoms, and Bubbles has been happy (so happy s/he has decided there is no rush to get here) so my Ob has just "watched" it. I haven't had any meds or anything. The only thing my Ob has said that she wouldn't let me go the normal 10 days over my EDD. I have been booked for induction next Thursday. Although I was warned early in the peace that if it didn't stabilise she would make me stop working (this was when I was still working full time and studying). I dropped my hours and it was fine. I was also warned that bed rest was on the cards if I couldn't get it to settle. So no, I don't think induction is the only option, they should give you a chance to stabilise first with things like bed rest (hospitalisation to achieve this if necessary).

HTH

MG

This isn't really answering the question but still on the topic, I had high BP prior to being preg and were on meds for it. My OB has said I can obviously expect it will go up further throughout the pregnancy. He has said he will be aiming to get me to 38 wks, and then induce me. He said there is no advantage in me going any longer, the baby is developed enough at that point.

Obviously that plan could change dependant upon how my blood pressure is going.

Thanks everyone

Shannon, no I'm not on meds yet. My BP was only slightly up the other day, not even enough for my m/w to be overly concerned about it, but it's all looking starting to look very similar to how my PG with Kwent and that's enough for me to start stressing (which isn't very helpful I know LOL). With K the meds didn't seem to help and then he stopped moving etc. I just want to be prepared and know what my options are should the same thing happen again. I have an appt with my OB next week so we'll see what my BP is doing then.
    Last edited by Angel; August 7th, 2007 at 02:02 PM.

Yeah with KI was 37w when my BP got to 142/102 and then induced @ 37w5d. I *think* K's heartrate was okay throughout but I had a scan for over an hour and he wasn't practicing his breathing and wouldn't move even when the sonographer prodded at him. Then the midwife had me on the monitor for ages, with me in various positons, and there may have been a couple of small movements but not enough to ease their concern. The docs said they thought it was because of my BP and that they thought it'd be best to get him out before he went into distress.

Will talk to the OB about meds if my BP is up again next week. The thought of J being born in 3 or so weeks is freaking me out a bit though LOL. It's all going by too quickly!
    Last edited by Angel; August 7th, 2007 at 02:00 PM.

Angel, my BP kept creeping up during the last fourish weeks before Caty was born, it only ever got to about 140/90 and they talked of inductions if it got any higher but I made myself lie down for a week (maybe less) and it settled to a bit lower. During labour it was fine, a little high but I stayed calm and there was no intervention. Caty's heartbeat was fine during labour too, never really dipped or went crazy.

Good luck! Not long now