Thread: High BP in second Tri????

Question High BP in second Tri????

Hello, had my first adverse BP reading today at 140/80 (?). I'm 18 wks tomorrow, and have only ever considered high BP in the pre-eclampsia scenario, it didn't occur to me it might come on a lot earlier.

The dr wasn't overly concerned, only mentioned that it might be higher at the end of the day and has organised for me to go back on Thurs morning to get it checked again.

So I guess I'm interested in ppl's stories about high BP earlier on in PG esp if it didn't necessarily evolve into PE. I want to hear some positive stories of managing BP especially without scary things like quitting work and bedrest!!

Thanks

I had early-onset PE with my second and third pregnancies (and also my first, but it wasn't picked up until 29 weeks with an initial BP of 220/205).

There is some evidence that low dose aspirin, combined with a low protein/fat/salt diet can do wonders for PIH and early onset PE. However I would be consulting with your health professional about this, especially the aspirin.

I was recommended light exercise (20 mins walking twice a week), the diet, aspirin, and did stop work at 16 weeks with #3, however this was due to extreme stress from my workplace (I was a solicitor at the time).

Nothing was done about my BP until it got over 140/90. Also consider whether you have "white line fever" ie visiting the doctor may make your BP higher.

I'm pretty sure Fletch and Debbie both had PIH, I think Debbie's developed into PE but I'm not sure. Perhaps they can help more.

Best wishes. Thinking of you.

Thanks Shannon about the resting info. It's also comforting to hear that it can come down by itself. I wouldn't have said I was very stressed yesterday, but the day before that I had an absolute cracker and went to bed cranky with my DH so I guess that might have affected it?

But I'd have to say I think I'm a bit of a nervous nelly at the Drs!

Marydean

When my ob took my BP last week it was 150/70 after resting and calming down a bit it got to 130/70.

It may be a case of white coat for me, or just the additional stress of this pregnancy, however the Ob didn't seem too concerned and was happy to see me again in a fortnight.

Hopefully you get a good result on Thursday.

Take care
    Spring

Hi there!
    I dont think you really need to worry until ur systolic(sp) reading is over 90... thats the one on the bottom. The one on the top is not really too much of a concern.

My BP has pretty consistantly been 140/70 and my doc thinks thats pretty good.

My last BP was 130/60 and he said that was excellent.

I think I have this 'white lne fever' thing... atmy last mw appt, my BP was 160/90 and then 165/85
    lol
    But they werent worried.. It kept going down.

Ok, well I went back in the morning and got a reading of 130/70 which is well within the normal range - whew! I think that was pretty good too as I knew I was just about to get my fluvax!!

Hopefully that high reading was just a once off!

That's good to hear!
    I had highish BP a few times in second trimester with my DD - after a few weeks it disappeared and wasn't a problem for the rest of the pregnancy.
    Next pregnancy it was 110/70 every single visit, all the way through. Was starting think his machine was broken LOL.

I had high BP prior to becoming PG and was (and still am) on medication. My OB said he is happy as long as the second number is below 90. For me if it gets higher it is at this stage just a matter of adjusting my medication.

Ok, I asked the Dr about this again today. Apparently anything over 20 more than your usual (either number) is bad news. So I started off 115/60 so anything over 135/80 is not good for me. However, she also said that over 140/x is also generally not good, mostly because I'm >35, overweight, and under a bit of lifestyle stress right now. So she wants me to come in once a fortnight to get it checked by the nurse in between antenatal appts.

OMG I saw the OB today, and measured 150/70 (!) but I was in a state of high anxiety so won't read anything into it just yet. I'll get the nurse to check it again later in the week when I've recovered from my hospital-visit-stress! LOL

Shannon, I loooooove your suggestion of lying on my side lots, I wonder if I could convince my boss I need a little snooze in the carers room at work every day! LOL