Thread: Just a quickie

Default Just a quickie

Can pre eclampsia be inherited by your mother? Or is just something that happens at random? (my mother had it when she had me, just wondering what my chances are)

Also what are some of the signs that you have gestational diabetes?

Thanks in advance

not sure sorry, but i do know I have had cousins with pre-eclampsia and their mums didn't have it. so there have been 2 daughters of the same mum with pre-eclampsia on half of their births, so one sister has 4 boys and with 2 had pre-eclampsia and the other sister has 2 children and with one had it... so thats our family experience. (by the way we have 20 first cousins as my mum has 8 sisters... so half are girls and all but 2 have had children...)

As far as I know there is an increased risk of pre-eclampsia if your mother/sister have suffered from this in the past.

As for Gestational Diabetes, the symptoms are pretty much the same as Diabetes eg. frequent urination, unquenchable thirst, weightloss and fatigue.

The Members Area of the BellyBelly website has some great articles both on GD & PE so you might want to Login then head to the Pregnancy section to check them out

HTH's

*hugs*
    Cailin

hi Tegan

Do you think you have any of these problems ??
    I had pre-eclampsia but not sure if my mum did.

Things that i had wrong with me when i had it.
    Swollon hands and legs
    High BP
    High protien in my wee
    At the end i was being sick and had a bad headache
    If you do have it they will keep an eye on you.
    I was in hospital twice with bedrest but as soon as i went home again i was ill. I was only bad for two weeks before i feel so ill and they gave me c-section.

HTH

Hi Tegan

I don't know if Pre-E can be inherited. I got it with Harry, but my mum and sister never had it. My grandmother had it though (my dad's mum) but I don't know if that had anything to do with me getting it. My pg book does say that there is an increased chance if family members had it, but that does not mean that you will definitely get it. It is worth asking your doctor or midwife and seeing what they say.

You should have the glucose test at 26-28 weeks, where they give you a sweet drink and you have a blood test an hour later - this will show if there is a chance you have gestational diabetes. I don't know what the signs are to look for though...

Bon

Thanks for the info girls.

I only ask this coz as i said my mum had pre eclampsia and coz i have PCOS so i know theres an increased risk of gestational diabetes and coz i've been really thursty and craving sweet things lately.