Thread: 12mth old - formula or cows milk.

Default 12mth old - formula or cows milk.

My DS2 is turning 1yrs old in about 1 week. Hes has been on formula since stopping breastfeeding a month or so ago. We have just run out of formula, so I just gave him cows milk today, intending on running out to buy formula tonight.

BUT now I am wondering if there is any reason for him to still be getting formula, or should I move him onto plain old cows milk?

Any reasons why one would be more benefical over the other, or does it even really matter at this age?

You may get lots of different replies but here is mine.

There is no reason for formula after 12mths and cows milk is fine

however....

I have chosen to do a mix. DD has her morning bottle as formula milk. The other 2 bottles ar cows milk.

This works for us as DD has been going through some fussy eating over the last 5 months. Mainly to do with teeth, changes, etc and some days she will simply live on an arrowroot biscuit or a banana. For me giving her a formula feed gives me a little piece of mind that she is getting other vitamins and minerals that arent found in ordinary cows milk.

That is just our situation though.

HTH in some way.

From what I've been told, formula after 12 months is just a gimmick really. The 'toddler formula' isn't necessary at all and according to our MCHN, it's just another way to get parents to buy formula. She said the same thing about Step 2 formulas as well! Cows milk is perfectly fine from 12 months onwards and babies definitely don't need formula as they should be getting enough vitamins and minerals from their solids.

In saying that though, I love the flexibility of formula. I like knowing I have bottles of cool boiled water ready to go which I can simply add some formula and give to DD. I don't want to have to lug around a cooler bag with a bottle of cows milk in it all the time once she hits 12 months. However, a friend of mine suggested buying the little poppers/primas of milk to take out once DD switches to cows milk so I might try that.

I hope that helps!

I went through the same thought process as you too Misty. I didn't go and buy the formula. I just stuck to cow's milk and give her plenty of vegies and fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBambina View Post
    This works for us as DD has been going through some fussy eating over the last 5 months. Mainly to do with teeth, changes, etc and some days she will simply live on an arrowroot biscuit or a banana. For me giving her a formula feed gives me a little piece of mind that she is getting other vitamins and minerals that arent found in ordinary cows milk.
    Good advice!

It's probably only a factor if you notice she has some intolerance to cows' milk. I would think that as long as she's eating well otherwise and is not getting an upset tummy from cows' milk, there is no need to continue on formula as a toddler. I doubt there's a magical switch next week when she turns one!

I am in the cows milk camp (as long as she can tolerate it) - this was also the advice of our paed a couple of weeks before DS turned 1 (though he is bf 2 feeds a day, so it is 1 bottle a day)

Thanks for the advice everyone
    We have decided to half / half for now. Mainly because formula is so much easier to take out and about.

me personally I would go cows milk or soy milk, and avoid the formula.
    if your bubs has tried and tollerates a large variety of berries etc and you are worried about nutrient levels, make them a 'special' drink in the middle of the day, like a bluberry milkshake or something. there are heaps of smoothy recipies in toddler and fussy kids books that you can hide a multitude of good foods in.

Quote Originally Posted by misty View Post
    Thanks for the advice everyone
    We have decided to half / half for now. Mainly because formula is so much easier to take out and about.
    Good on you Glad we could help. I'll be doing the same when DD turns one.