Thread: 3 week old on cows milk!

Default 3 week old on cows milk!

Yep you read it right!

I was talking to a family member of mine who asked was Laila on cows milk? I said only for her breakfast and in mash etc.

She then said ''really? ***** was on cows milk from 3 weeks and soild food from 8 weeks

I didnt know what to say!!! I know things change etc but im pretty sure even 5 yrs ago that you couldnt give your 3 week old cows milk!

WOW, I would have been speechless. What did you say?

I know myself and my brothers were on "sunshine milk" (powdered milk) from about 3 weeks, unsurprisingly we all have sinus problems. One brother and I find that these are better if we stay away from dairy. Interesting. Of course this was about 30years ago where things were a bit different

lindsay- i have been told the same thing - Cows milk is to much for little bubs tummy which is why they have formula specially designed for bubs. i didnt introduce cows milk with my son untill 15 months. He was boob fed til 3 months then i couldnt feed anymore so i switched to formula- he then develpoed reflux and would vomit after every feed (projectile... across the room) i wish i could have boob fed for longer which didnt seem to upset his tummy.
    Same goes for soilds, bubs tummys arent ready to cope with them, and when there introduced i sarted with farex.
    Hope the little one is ok.

I thought it was common knowledge that their digestive systems are not able to cope with solids and cows milk at such an early stage. The doctors have told Mothers this for years and years. My Nan was told this!!

She MUST of got her ages wrong, maybe she meant months not weeks.

I just cant see how a baby would even KNOW what to do with a spoon

Does the child have any digestive/tummy problems?

Weird, Linz. It'll be interesting to see if that baby develops any allergies in the coming years...

I didnt know what to say!!! I know things change etc but im pretty sure even 5 yrs ago that you couldnt give your 3 week old cows milk!
    Sorry he is now almost 5 yrs old (Feb next yr)! His sister is now 15 and has servere allergies so im wondering if she did the same with her.

I didnt know what to say so I didnt say anything..im still in shock. She is 34 & I thought she would have known better. Im so glad ive never let her watch DD

My DH dosnt know why im even suprised as she isnt a good mum at all.

Its amazing what you hear.....such a little tummy, how can they cope with such a thing?. Although in saying that, the midwife asked me when i had Sam if i had given her 'cows milk, tea, orange juice?' - she was 10 days old !! my face must have shown my suprise at her asking me these questions. She said some people have been know to give their newborn camomile tea to help 'calm' their baby....!!!!!!!!!!

I was 6 weeks old when I was given cereal with powdered cow juice in it, so it's not unheard of. This is why my mother got very snotty about DS being fully breasted for about 5 months - I wanted to go to at least 6, if not 7.

DS has cow juice with porridge at night to help boost his calorie intake (he's a bit on the slim side), but that's it. It's not something I would routinely give if the HV hadn't advised I do that.

I am amazed that no one - doctor, midwife, child health nurse - told her that it was not a good idea to feed a 3 week old cows milk!

I can't believe that was only 5 years ago- it is amazing how things change, although I wonder where she got her info from! My MIL was recently telling me how DH was on orange juice at 8 weeks!! Back then (30 years ago) they thought it was best!

I can definitely say that 5 years ago, when I had my DS, that cows milk was not recommended as a drink before 12 months! The only difference 5 years ago was that the recommendation for solids was 4 months, not 6 months.

It is a very interesting point you have bought up as I have often wondered about it. Both my sister and I were bought up on pure cows milk and goats milk right from birth as Mum couldnt breastfeed and we lived in a tiny tiny tiny town on the west coast of NZ and formula wasnt readily available. Unlike most of our friends/cousins, neither my sister nor I have any allergies/intolerances or any health problems whatsoever and have often wondered if this had anything to do with it???

Tonydayl, I have no allergies either. But DH was brought up with the same regieme and he has so many allergies it is untrue. You're just very, very lucky.

Far too many mothers ignore the professionals because their mothers bully them into doing what was done with them because "you turned out all right." This is really upsetting, my own mother keeps trying this but I wonder why she thinks I'm all right. She ignored everyone but her own mother and thinks I should do the same.

I totally agree Rosehip Fairy! I wouldn't dream of putting my kids on cows milk or goats milk until recommended. 30 years ago was a long time and a lot of new findings have have come forth since then but I just find it interesting. I think the problem with cows milk isnt so much the allergy side of things but the fact that babies digestive systems just arent mature enough to handle the proteins in it (???).

I too take interest in all the findings scientists? publish and I think we should feel lucky to live in the day of age where we have so much knowledge to take upon as new parents. Why ignore it??? I thank them for the research they do and know that what I give my daughter is the best for her growing little body. I don't want to take risks because 'thats what my mum did' or so forth.....this information is here for us to take aboard, they do their jobs for a reason and that is for the BEST of humanity.

I wish some parents would do more research for the sake of their little babies

Well said Chon!! Awww and she is planning on having another baby..she would have only put her son on cows milk cause it was ''cheaper'' then formula.

wow I'm shocked, and i was equally as shocked when my mil told me that she gave my DH yogurt and jelly when he was 6 weeks old. I was shocked enough at that and it was 27 years ago.
    Explains why he has tummy upsets so easily

When you look at it, with the amount that babies drink in the first few months, formula can actually work out cheaper....