thread: 4 month old still feeding every 1 1/2 hours overnight

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Life Subscriber

    Jul 2006
    Brisbane
    6,683

    Tina, that must be exhausting for you. Some babies do seem to need such frequent feeds for a while longer. Have you tried squeezing an extra feed or two in during the day to see if that helps? Sometimes by feeding them more often during the day you can get a bit longer out of them at night. Also encouraging the circadian rhythm might help - exposing her to light as much as possible during the day, and keeping it dark at night. Hopefully it will settle down soon for you

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Add aussienic on Facebook

    Feb 2005
    Boyne Island
    6,327

    It is exhausting when you have a baby that prefers the night feeds.. I went through this with DD. She would easily sleep and go without feeds for long periods during the day but come night time it was like I was up all night feeding. I finally took control of the situation at 9 months (yeh I left it to long) I actually dropped the night feed but obviously your little one is a little young for that

    Can you offer a cuddle or even a sip of water instead of a feed? With DD I would get DH get up to her (on his days off) he would try and settle her without the smell of my BB's
    it can be a little tiring at first because you are awake longer but after a few nights she might stop waking up or learn to resettle herself..

    I hope she starts sleeping longer for you soon..

  3. #3
    BellyBelly Life Subscriber

    Jan 2006
    11,633

    Hard work!
    I'd be trying to feed 2-hourly during the day and see if that helps a bit. Hope you get some rest soon

  4. #4
    BellyBelly Member

    Feb 2007
    3,734

    I have to admit BOTH my boys fed at least every 2 hrs until they were about 9 months... and 3 hrly til 12 months... it sux but it does end eventually.
    i never used dummies - so maybe that would work?

  5. #5
    Registered User

    Sep 2011
    1

    Temp

    Not sure if this is still an issue but have you checked the temp in the babies room? I had a similar issue and it was because the baby was cold. At 17 deg he would wake regularly, at 20 deg and with a few extra blankets he sleeps through. Might be worth trying a few more blankets if nothing else

  6. #6
    Registered User

    Apr 2010
    1,118

    Now try a 13 month old who wants feeding every 1/2 hour to 1 hour.

    Turns out the problem was just that he was in the room with us, now he has his own room he wakes up 1 or 2 times a night, which is bliss. I couldn't get out of bed before 9am before, I just wasn't getting enough sleep.

  7. #7
    Registered User

    Jan 2005
    Down by the ocean
    6,110

    Hard work!
    I'd be trying to feed 2-hourly during the day and see if that helps a bit. Hope you get some rest soon
    This is exactly what I'd do! Perhaps he's playing catch up because he is hungry but if you feed him more frequently during the day hopefully he'd have had his fill so will sleep better.