Thread: Antihistamines and BFing?

Question Antihistamines and BFing?

Hi ladies,

I get really bad hayfever/allergies and lately it's been just shocking... Does anyone know if you can take antihistamines while BFing? Or what can I take instead to calm down my sinuses?

TIA

Hi Keira

I didn't think you should take them while bf, but I don't know what the exact answer is but I'm sure someone else will..I was told by someone who was bf and took antihistamines that their milk supply reduced significantly.

I am pretty sure you can take polaramine but I would double check first with a chem. Am pretty sure you cant take anything else as I take Clarytine and cant take that. I wont take Polarimine because of the drowsy factor.

Quote Originally Posted by krysalyss View Post
    I am pretty sure you can take polaramine but I would double check first with a chem. Am pretty sure you cant take anything else as I take Clarytine and cant take that. I wont take Polarimine because of the drowsy factor.
    I have been taking these when needed. My ob said they were fine while pregnant so i assumed still ok.

i have been taking polaramine with no problems to my milk supply

As far as I am aware you cam take the short acting older style antihistimines like polaramine and phenergan. Just not the new one a day type!! HTH!! Good luck, I get terrible hayfever and I am BF so am finding it sooo hard!!! If I need to i take phenergan at night when DS has gone to bed for the night, then I know it will not be in my milk when he has a feed in the morning!!

My first port of call is the Fess saline spray to help & a hot shower then if that doesn't work I often will use half a polarimine if I can be sure that Jovie is well & truely asleep. Goodluck!

Hey there
    I have been in the same boat
    I have had success with Polaramine, Clarantyne Rapid (on a day when my eyes puffed up very badly everything calmed within the hour) and also Rhinocourt nose spray. My dr suggested all of the above as options as all are class A drugs meaning they may be taken during bf. It is always worth triple checking at the chemist or through drug info lines first!
    Have you tried natural alternatives such as Garlic and Horseradish tablets?
    Good luck
    Belinda