Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: baby refuses ebm, formula, water & solids - going back to work

Default Re: baby refuses ebm, formula, water & solids - going back to wor

Yep, and my LO still wouldn't drink the ebm. She would take water and some solids. By 9 months, i fed her before i left, and she waited until i was home again to feed. I had her brought to me at lunch for awhile, but it was more disruptive for her and not very productive and so we stopped doing it.

I was part time (2-3 days a week) and away from 8am - 4.30 or 5pm. When i got home, she had 2 or 3 feeds (cluster feeds like a newborn) before bed, and still fed regularly over night. on non work days, she still breastfed regularly.

He wont take water either. Ill be gone from about 7am till 5/5.30pm, he cant just not have any fluids at all that entire time, particularly in the summer, he'll get dehydrated.

There's a big difference between what he's like now, and what he will be like in April. I know it seems close, but they change so fast at this age.

So glad you're starting to notice some successes.

One of the mums in my ABA group has gone to work and her bub didn't drink all day, he just drinks LOTS when she's none. He's only 5 months. Her hubby attempted to use a bottle, but he just wouldn't take it. They had a couple of wet nurses on stand by just in case.

My DD1 always went boob crazy when I returned from work.

People keep telling me that their baby didnt drink anything all day then just clusterfed when they got home but honestly im not happy with that. He needs fluids during the day. Im just goimg to have to find a way to make him take something

My dis was the same drank pretty much no fluids at the start. My thought for when summer came was goin to be breastmilk ice blocks - cuz he could suck those instead of drink them? I ended up not needing to do anythig cuz as it got warmer he got better at drinking things from bottles.

He would sometimes take stuff from a spoon? Could u spoon feed him some milk?

Unfortunately tho, as much as u want to get them to have fluids, if they won't take it I don't think there is much you can do .

Im not sure re spoon feeding milk, im still struggling with solids as he refuses to open his mouth for a spoon then so im assuming it will be the same as spoon feeding milk.

i dont know what to do, he wont take ice blocks either. Im just not comfortable with him having no fluids at all so i guess unless something changes very soon ill have to quit my job & stay home with him. No idea how we will continue to survive on one wage but ill guess we'll have to figure something out

Can baby be brought to you?

Can you give him foods / drinks he can feed himself?

This is a bit old school but could you soak a clean washer in cool boiled water, wring it just a tiny bit and let him suck on it? DD2 is nuts about sucking on washers and my mum told me I was too.
    Last edited by Ladylove; March 8th, 2015 at 11:46 PM.

My first child was the clingy sort that wouldn't take any sort of other food. He wouldn't eat solids until around 8 months and never drank out of a bottle. I tried several expensive drink bottles/cups for him and then found that the $3 systemia sippy cup with a straw was the thing he liked (with water, formula was a no go).

Try not to let the situation stress you out too much. As others have said, there is a massive difference between now and 6 weeks away. You will most likely find he will start to get a bit more enthusiastic with the food over the next month or so. Give him a little sippy cup at meal times and do cheers with him and have a little sip or yours to make it a fun game. Remember that he will be getting fluid from his food too, so even if he goes all day with no liquid he won't dehydrate as long as he is eating stuff. And babies are quite the little survivalists - if he is thirsty and the boobies are gone he will drink something. He may not be happy about it, but he will. It shouldn't be as hot by May too, so it isn't as bad as if he were starting in December. There are many, many babies out there that refuse bottles and they all manage to survive at daycare with no major issues.

Good luck with it. I know it is very hard when they are like that xx

Thanks everyone!

We are still not getting anywhere with bottles or cups, hes still refusing everything we try. Even bought a mimijumi bottle & he wont take that either

I feel so sad for him, he will be so distressed at daycare without me there to feed him, i wish he understood why he needs to take a bottle/cup. I dont want him to be screaming all day cause he's thirsty

there is no-one who could bring him to me & i cant go there, the centre is on the other side of the suburb from my work & i dont drive so id need to catch a bus & it will take far too long.

Have you tried the face washer thing? I'm using that trick for her teething right now. I soak a face washer in cold water and let her suck on it. Sometimes she doesn't like her hands getting cold and wet, so I put the face washer into her mesh feeder and she sucks on that. Once she sucked all the water out, I'll dunk it in water again to re-wet. I also give her watermelon and other watery fruits to give her extra fluids (or to soothe her gums). It might not be much, but better than nothing?

are you going to be doing a graduated return to work? maybe do a couple of hours at daycare to start with to wean your LO into the daycare routine and also to see if he gets "thirsty" enough at daycare without you around and with someone he doesn't associated with normal feeds? and maybe seeing the other kids drinking bottles?

have you tried all the different temps of milk etc as well? Cold, hot, room temp? some babies only take it a certain temp?

in saying that - it didn't work for my little boy at the start but after a few weeks he did take 30mls or so? which is better than nothing! but he did get there eventualy and was def taking heaps more fluid once the warmer months hit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12