Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best way to get bub used to feeding from Breast AND Bottle

Quote Originally Posted by CoNNiE_Melb View Post
    Quick question... in order to avoid painful nipple issues... is there any great debate against just feeding EBM from a bottle all the time? That way the baby is getting the BM it needs, and the mum avoids all the nipple issues that come with BF.
    No. However as OP have said before expressing is a total PITA XD And nipple issues can me worked thru, they last up to 8 weeks MAX and then generally there are no problems after your nipples have toughened up and become used to the little vaccuums ^^;
    Also, with the right care you are able to avoid things like cracked nipples.

MantaRay & Kaz! Thanks... I always assumed BF was faster because when DS pulls away I'm shooting streams XD Obviously it's just initial let down tho.

Thanks Ladies... these are the things you only learn through experience... at the end of the day, it'll all depend on what suits the little man.

Hi Connie, I am seriously no expert being new to all of this myself but I have a few thoughts to share. I am BF and also expressing and not having any dramas at the moment, my daughter is 8 weeks old. If you do decide to go ahead with this - I have found out a few helpful things. I have a feeling it is to do with the type of bottles we are using. I did a heap of research and heard that the Tomee Tippee bottles were good for combining BF and bottle feeding because the teet is a similar shape to a breast. Now that DD is here, I realise that these type of bottles ARE heaps more similar to the breast than other bottles I have seen. Firstly, her lips still curl out in the same way as when she is BF. I also worried about her being fussy at the breast after introducing the bottle because the bottle would give her the milk easier. I haven't had any dramas but I have really fast let down so maybe she isn't noticing it as much.

One thing that is heaps better about BF, DD finds it MUCH more comforting than the bottle. I really doubt that she would settle as well at night just with the bottle. She accepts the bottle as a food source but drains it very quickly and then that's that. At the breast she takes heaps more time and at night really likes to gaze up at me while feeding and settles herself before we put her to bed.

All babies are different though - Good luck with whatever you decide.

Also . . some women, even women with abundant supplies, just can't express or can't express anywhere near enough, some boobs seem to really know that that's not a baby and don't cooperate.

Quote Originally Posted by starangelk View Post
    Hi Connie, I am seriously no expert being new to all of this myself but I have a few thoughts to share. I am BF and also expressing and not having any dramas at the moment, my daughter is 8 weeks old. If you do decide to go ahead with this - I have found out a few helpful things. I have a feeling it is to do with the type of bottles we are using. I did a heap of research and heard that the Tomee Tippee bottles were good for combining BF and bottle feeding because the teet is a similar shape to a breast. Now that DD is here, I realise that these type of bottles ARE heaps more similar to the breast than other bottles I have seen. Firstly, her lips still curl out in the same way as when she is BF. I also worried about her being fussy at the breast after introducing the bottle because the bottle would give her the milk easier. I haven't had any dramas but I have really fast let down so maybe she isn't noticing it as much.

One thing that is heaps better about BF, DD finds it MUCH more comforting than the bottle. I really doubt that she would settle as well at night just with the bottle. She accepts the bottle as a food source but drains it very quickly and then that's that. At the breast she takes heaps more time and at night really likes to gaze up at me while feeding and settles herself before we put her to bed.

All babies are different though - Good luck with whatever you decide.
    it's funny you say that because i find those don't resemble a breast at all. When a baby breastfeeds they suck in most of the nipple and have a fair mouthful on boob in there, whereas those tommee tippee ones are more straw like to me...
    DS is exclusively BF and he refuses the tommee tippee ones... but goes for advent and magmag teats
    Teats will also be trial and error!

Oh geez.... so the final word is... who knows what will happen! Lol As has been said in regards to everything so far... we'll just have to wait and see and let bubba decide. Sometimes I wish I wasnt such an organised control freak!

my bubs is now 11 weeks and and I'm combining formula/breastfeeds and he hated the tommee tipee and the avent teats. I'm currently using the pigeon peristaltic teat and haven't had problems since.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12