Hopefully with your bfing knowledge (especially about attachment and other potential issues) then 2nd time around will be easier!
But as with every bfing experience, a lot depends on the baby and mother team, and since this will be the first time your baby has bf, there may be different things to manage that may or may not have occured first time around.
I would think though that all you know about correct attachment now and how you dealt with the issues you had with your DD it will make for a smoother journey and probably help you sort out any issues you do face more quickly.
The first few weeks are certainly the hardest with bfing for most mums, and it is usual to have some discomfort while your nipples adjust. However, it really shouldn't be painful enough that you are dreading each feed or having toe curling pain.
One of the best ways to get the attachment working well right from the start is to use Baby Led Attachment. You might have heard of the breast crawl - well those instincts that lead the baby to attach by himself stay with the baby for the first months after birth. So many mums find that placing their baby skin to skin on their chest (and it does also work when clothing is worn) and allowing him to find the nipple and attach himself, works well. This way the attachment is usually really good, and it also hones the baby's sucking instincts so avoids a lot of the common bfing problems.
Best of luck with it. Remember also that if you are having problems that the ABA's 1800 mum 2 mum helpline is there 24 hours and is answered by trained counsellors who are mums themselves.
Sorry to hijack your thread, but I've also wondered about this. I had inverted nipples when I started feeding DS, will they be inverted next time around, or will the work DS and I have done to draw them out mean that I don't have the same problem?
Mine were I BF DD1 for 2.5 years so was really hopeful (or maybe that should be naive LOL) that 2nd time around would be better, but nope. I had attachment problems too, but knew to get onto them faster than first time, so things did improve quicker.
Bookmarks