Thread: birth control and breast feeding

Default birth control and breast feeding

DH and I aren't planning on a number 3 so I'm wondering what forms of birth control are compatible with breastfeeding. I know that condoms are OK but DH and I both hate them.

I'm on the minipill Chloe & I think if you take it at the same time every day it is very effective. I have also been told not to BD within one hour of taking it as you are at slight risk then.

I am on the mini pill too. Its supposed to be very effective until baby cuts down to 3 or less feeds a day.

My sis used the mini pill, you have to be careful to take it at the same time each day, and use extra protection if you vomit within 12 hrs of taking it, but it is like 99% effective or something if taken properly. Sis ended up pg with #3 while taking it but I think was due to operator error!
    Also maybe the Mirena IUD? I don't know if it's ok to use while breastfeeding or not but it's supposed to be good...

Bon

According to a GP I saw, the implanon implant is fine for breastfeeding if you don't want to have to remember a pill every day (it has the same type of hormones as the mini pill, apparently).

Hi Dachlostar, I had Implanon inserted into my arm at my 6 week checkup. Not painful, and 99.99% safe. Completely compatible with breast feeding (I'm still feeding Ned) and also don't have to remember to take pills! It lasts for 3 years.

Ditto with the mini-pill.

A GF of mine has just had the "Marina" coil fitted, as the mini-pill affected her supply, and is really happy with it. (I don't know much about it, but I know she looked into it all because they now have 2 and don't want a third.)

Hi Dach,
    Have you had a look at the Billings Ovulation Method? There is a good site I can give you if you wanted a look... just email me and I can pass it on...

I'm not actually using it but it may be of interest to you if you don't want to use the pill.

Tanya

Hi - is there a topic somewhere about not being able to conceive while you are breastfeeding exclusively (I think thats the word for it) ? Alex is eight weeks old and I don't know where my cycle is at or even if you have a proper one so soon ? I have a script for the mini pill, I just haven't gone to get it yet ...

Barb.

Barb, I'm not sure that you can rely on breastfeeding as a form of birth control. Some people don't get thier period back for years and for others it can return in a few months. Although I was exclusivley breastfeeding my period returned at around 4 months. Before your period arrives you will probably ovulate so you may be fertile but not realise it.