thread: Boob politics.... Mia Freedman article. A must-read.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Registered User

    Oct 2009
    Bonbeach, Melbourne
    7,177

    Well, it is the Breastfeeding Association - not the formula feeding association - what do people expect from them??? My Aunt-inlaw was livid that her DIL could not get formula feeding advice from the ABA, once again what did she expect.

    Poor form really to bag the Breastfeeding Association (sorry can't tell if she was referring to the actual ABA). If the hosptial does not want to become a breastfeeding friendly hospital, then don't. If the midwives don't support it, then say so. Acting all sheepish about it helps no-one and just undermines the whole process. Really, it is just two signatures, why make an issue if it?
    Um yeah I agree. I dislike the notion that there is no support for FF mothers. An no, this is not an us vs them post. But really. You have medical professionals pushing and recommending formula left right and centre, isles of it in supermarkets, chemists and servos, mass media depicting formula as the total norm. I've always said this and I'll say it again. There should be some sort of group akin to the ABA for formula feeding, a group that provides correct, accurate and up to date information about formula feeding practices and guidelines where parents can get their questions answered reliably and without judgement. Absolutely, that should exist. But not from the ABA, the Australian *Breastfeeding* Association. That's just my two bob. I don't really like the article myself, it's really just an old (and pretty safe) sentiment being rehashed a little.

  2. #2
    Registered User

    Jan 2012
    WA
    420

    I have several friends who really wanted to BF (so they said) but were never sat down and explained about the mechanics of BF (and sadly didn't research themselves) and didn't understand that replacing a BF with a FF was not going to help build their supply and capacity to feed they often lamented that they "couldn't bf" when in reality, they weren't supported to establish and maintain BF and were probably completely capable of BF if armed with knowledge and support! To me, the hospital that doesn't just hand out formula is doing the right thing... if you WANT to FF! I have absolutely NO problem with that (and those mums should have full access to formula), but if you really WANT to BF, then not offering formula (at all) is (IMO) part of the support new mums need.
    Ditto this absolutely! My SIL had this happen with her first baby. Nipple confusion and a drop in supply followed and by 6w they were done BF, the positive that came was the lecture i got when preg for the first time and her conviction to source info and continue BF her second time round.

    I don't always see eye to eye with the ABA, but information is the absolute key, the pros and cons of all advice and options (I think that links in with MadB's thread from last week about how mothers need all information not to have it witheld in case it hurts someone feelings)