thread: Boob politics.... Mia Freedman article. A must-read.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Registered User

    Jun 2009
    913


    I think this is the key - there is not enough support to establish & maintain for women. I don't know the ins & outs of staffing or budgets in hospitals but why can't there be dedicated lactation consultants? - That their sole job is to help women establish bf (if that is what the women want to do). IMO I felt unsupported and confused about all the differing opinions and information from different midwives on how to establish bf and continue.
    The hospitals I went to had dedicated LCs. Is this not standard practice everywhere?

    I was actually relieved to know when my DS was in special care that they needed my signature to give him formula. Because I wasn't rooming in with him, I had been concerned that this may happen without my knowledge.

    The reality is, I believe, this is always going to be an issue. So really, it's up to individuals to learn to stand by their decisions (as they are entitled to) even in the face of opposition. How you feed your child is just one of the first of many decisions you make as a parent that you need to own.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Add Little Chicken on Facebook

    Mar 2010
    Melbourne
    1,855

    Just so you know, the only other things you need two nurses to sign out is drugs of addiction. Some drugs need to signatures to prove they have been checked. I think it is ridiculous that you even need to sign out formula

  3. #3
    Registered User

    Jan 2010
    1,975

    I think there is a big difference between 'pushing' formula and supporting mothers who have to, or choose to, FF their babies. In creating a health system which recognises the benefits of BF, women who FF are being made to feel like they are doing something which should only be carried out in a dark room whilst no one is watching - perhaps like women who BF used to feel! It's not ok for BF mothers to feel this way, and it's not ok for FF mothers to feel this way either.

    I absolutely support a system which educates women in the benefits of BF and supports them to establish a long and healthy BF relationship. But I don't think it should come at the cost of the support and education of women who have to - or choose to - FF. So a hospital needs to be prepared to support the FF mum as much as the BF one. Lactation consultants should be available to all new mums and I have no issue with MW's educating women on the benefits of BF for both mum and bub. But if a woman has to, or chooses to, FF her baby she should not be made to feel like a criminal mainlining her kid on a restricted drug. And yes, this is how I was made to feel in hospital when I had to ask for formula for my babies.

    On the flip side, when I had my DD1 I had no idea of what BF entailed. Honestly, I thought you held your baby to the boob and it all just happened! Women do need to be more educated and they need to know that for many women BF is not easy in those first few months, but that the benefits are worth the struggle.

    You know what's really interesting? Having been both a BF and a FF mother, I can assure you that both camps feel unsupported and discriminated against. This is where I feel we are failing ourselves and each other the most.