... 41213141516 ...

thread: Breastfeeding Chatter #16

Sep 2008
    Adelaide

A question!

How do you know if bubs is still feeding or just sucking for comfort? Or is their even a thing as 'sucking for comfort' as realistically if they are sucking then they are still drawing milk from the breast, Yeah?

The reason I ask is that DD feeds for about an hour or more (this is over both breasts), and towards the end of each breast it's not obvious to me that she is swallowing milk like it is when she first latches on. I am assuming she still is though? DS was such a quick feeder and totally different to DD so I am not used to feeds taking so long. (Not that I actually mind, but I am curious)

Jan 2011
    Perth

DD nibbles without getting milk... Or she might be getting milk but only a tiny amount and I'm pretty sure it's accidental. I can tell because I can't hear her swallow, even after a few sucks. Plus it feels shallower - more a nibble than a deep suck.

Dec 2007
    Hork-Bajir Valley

i can tell with dd...feeding is like long big sucks and i hear her swollow. comfort is like shorter shallower sucks. also like she isnt as attached...like less in her mouth. plu i get enjoyment from the comfort sucking. i dont from the feeding.

sent via my vortex manipulator!

Jul 2010
    Canberra

Same as above. I can feel DD's tongue flickering against the nipple and tiny sucks - little bunny sucks/nibbles.

Life Subscriber

Jul 2006
    Brisbane

The active swallowing - "suck swallow suck swallow" - has stopped. "Comfort sucking" is a really bad term though. That sucking at the end of a feed helps them digest the milk and pass wind through their systems, as well as helping them settle. So it's really quite productive and not at all a bad thing.

Jan 2011

The active swallowing - "suck swallow suck swallow" - has stopped. "Comfort sucking" is a really bad term though. That sucking at the end of a feed helps them digest the milk and pass wind through their systems, as well as helping them settle. So it's really quite productive and not at all a bad thing.
    That's a really interesting fact! Smart little things

Dec 2007
    Hork-Bajir Valley

ive never assossiated comfort sucking with being a bad thing..how can comforting your baby be bad?
    strange about the fact it helps them pass wind as i often let DD suck for as long as possible (encourage it) because when she does those short shallow sucks i dont get the dysphoric feeling that i get with the deep gulps, and everyone comments how must be full of wind etc because she is sucking for an hour! its nice to hear another perspective.

sent via my vortex manipulator!

Jul 2010
    Canberra

That's so interesting MR, can't believe I didn't know that! My DD only does this during the night feeds - during the day it's strictly a business transaction only, 10 minutes flat. Can't miss that valuable play and screeching time

Sep 2007
    Brisbane

Well, I hate comfort sucking I have an aversion to the saliva all over my boobs and the licking... ick. Proper feeding is OK, playing with my nipples is not.

BellyBelly Member

Sep 2010
    North West Victoria, Australia

Can someone enlighten me, please?

DS has cranky moments (like most babies) so I stick him on the boob. He seems very keen to get on, but he'll suck about 5 times, pull off and cry and then repeat about 15 times.

It's very frustrating. If I don't stick him on, he gets very distressed. But doesn't stay on the boob once I get him there.

Oct 2007
    Middle Victoria

Well, I hate comfort sucking I have an aversion to the saliva all over my boobs and the licking... ick. Proper feeding is OK, playing with my nipples is not.
    That is not what i understand comfort sucking to be. (i wouldn't like that either)

Sep 2007
    Brisbane

That is not what i understand comfort sucking to be. (i wouldn't like that either)
    That's all she does! She rarely sucks properly (maybe three sucks at the beginning of a feed) then it's all that weird stuff.

Nov 2010
    Perth, WA

Did you have quite a quick let-down with a lot of milk Maruschke? DS used to do that when he was little on one side because the let-down was quite forceful - he'd get it going then pull off and lap it up like a little puppy the cheeky beggar. Not sure how you'd encourage her to stay on and actually suck more if it is what's going on, he kind of just grew out of it as his mouth got bigger and my boobs settled.

BellyBelly Member

May 2008

Maruschke, she's still learning - have you seen a lactation consultant recently to see if some sort of "suckercises" could be beneficial?

Also to deal with the fire hydrant, attach her after expressing - don't express to completely empty, just half-way-ish and let her have a try. She will probably attach better to a softer breast, and may not be as overwhelmed by the flow too.

And if you feed with you lying on your side and DD lying on her side on a towel then she can just let excess milk dribble out the side, rather than choking.
    Last edited by Kmn; August 6th, 2012 at 10:22 AM.

Sep 2007
    Brisbane

Did you have quite a quick let-down with a lot of milk Maruschke? DS used to do that when he was little on one side because the let-down was quite forceful - he'd get it going then pull off and lap it up like a little puppy the cheeky beggar. Not sure how you'd encourage her to stay on and actually suck more if it is what's going on, he kind of just grew out of it as his mouth got bigger and my boobs settled.
    Yeah, I'm a fire hydrant... fast strong let down.

Kmn - good idea! I will ask next time I am there .

Oct 2007
    Middle Victoria

Do you still have an LC you can talk to?

Maybe she will grow out of it as she develops more? I wonder if a supplemental nursing system would help her learn that food comes when she sucks properly?

Jul 2010
    Canberra

Charlotte, maybe he's upset because he just wants to suck but is getting food instead...? Have you tried putting him on the less full or 'empty' side?

My DD was like this when she was really little, wanted to suck but the milk just worked her up/made her agitated - especially when she was really tired. We introduced a dummy (and other settling techniques) when BF was established, but I know it isn't for everyone.

Hopefully the more experienced ladies will have some suggestions for you too.

Add leckert on Facebook Follow leckert On Twitter

Mar 2008
    still on the teaching contract roundabout

DS2 does the crying & pull off sometimes (usually at night) and I find I need to do a couple of things
    1) take him off and hold him upright and shhh in his ear to settle him then re-attach
    2) pat his back/bum to help him stay settled enough for feeding.

... 41213141516 ...