thread: breastfeeding and insomnia

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Platinum Subscriber

    Apr 2010
    coastside, Vic
    2,172

    yep thats the exact dialogue I had with myself last night! Thanks will give it a go!

  2. #2
    Registered User

    Jul 2008
    summer street
    2,708

    Does it help if the baby is in the same room as you? I found getting up and going to another room terrible, and ended up cosleeping full time because it maximised sleep for me.

    I have had very frequent night feeders though, so that is the only way I could survive.

  3. #3
    Registered User

    Oct 2007
    Middle Victoria
    8,924

    have you thought about side car ing the cot? baby would still be on her own sleep surface, but not as much disruption for you, so it might be easier to get back to sleep.
    it sucks when they are (finally) asleep and then you lie awake.

  4. #4
    You were RAK'ed in 2015

    Mar 2011
    Perth
    1,350

    I definitely recommend a thermos of hot chamomile to sip while feeding (as long as you like chamomile!) As far as I know it's fine while bfing. I often have a hot milk if I've been awake for a while and need to bring on the sleepiness. Also, perhaps some yoga breathing exercises (I mentally give myself the instructions in my yoga teacher's voice), or a cotton ball soaked with lavender oil, which you lift to your nose and have a little inhale of every few minutes. When DS was up for long frequent feeds in the night I found that it was harder to get back to sleep if I used my phone to entertain myself, be it reading an ebook, fb or games, and I know you said you don't use those, but conversely, I find even now that rather than lying there awake and frustrated, I'm better off turning on the bedside light and reading for a bit. I'll often start to get drowsy, and that's the moment to turn off the light and close my eyes. I think it's something to do with the story in the book occupying my brain and stopping all those thoughts which otherwise might keep me awake.