Thread: Breastfeeding routines...

Default Breastfeeding routines...

I have just finished reading the breastfeeding section of Gina Fords 'Contented Little Baby Book'...and whilst I understand the purpose behind expressing from day 1....I was just wondering how many of you actually did this?

The routine of breasfeeding and expressing seems a little confusing to me now, so for those of you who are/did breastfeed did you start expressing from day 1 to build up your milk supply ready for those growth spurts?

I only expressed due to my supply being mucked up in the first place, other than that I would not have. I was willing to let Maggie feed more when a growth spurt hit. To me breastfeeding is something that is natural and best left to the baby to decide when and how much they feed (unless of course there is an actual issue)

Frankly looking after a new baby is hard enough as it is, without throwing in expressing on top of it.

I agree with Jillian, that you make as much as is required!
    I only started expressing into Indah's second month I think because I knew eventually she had to be fed EBM< due to my return to work, so I had a supply in the freezer, once I started back at work & I still have plenty!!!

I was hopeless at expressing. Even if I had wanted to I don't think I could have expressed enough to alter my supply (unless I got an electric pump and stayed attached all day).
    We never had a routine as such - I just let Yasin feed when he wanted and we sort of fell into a routine and then he would have a growth spurt and feed like crazy for a few days and then we would settle into a new routine. I can't imagine trying to stick to a routine designed by someone else - every family has its own lifestyle which demands differant routines. I just let Yasin design our routine and it worked ok for us.

Thanks ladies, it really confused me, because whilst I would LOVE a baby thats going to settle into an early routine and sleep through the night etc...the routines set out in Gina Fords book made me feel exhausted just reading it.

I think PinKy McKay's books are next on my list.

If there's one thing I've learnt on this journey so far is that no matter what I do bubba will do whatever he likes!!! hehehe.

There is a good article on the ABA website called Babes in Arms - a rod for your back? It talks about routines and the sleep expectations pushed onto us from "parenting books"

It is a good read, as are many of the article on the site.

Astrid - What a great article!!!!

Chrissy also a good saying is... "When in doubt, get boob out" It always works & you will get everyone saying/asking "are you feeding that baby again?" Just ignore, coz if baby wants it, then it's best & easiest to give it!
    Trust yourself!!!!

Yeah....bloody parenting books...LOL

Thanks for the comments ladies!!

Will check that article out.

donnasfam Guest

I read the book and the routine was way too strict for me, and my bub never had the time to read it either....
    Although I did express and used the milk for the dream feed which my husband would give him, that way I could go to bed early and was guaranteed a solid block of sleep, my bub got used to a bottle and it gave my husband a little one on one time..

I find each day is a whole new experience - Louis will feed 4 times one day, 7 the next so theres no way I can prepare for anything...

I never expressed as a matter of habit; just concentrated on getting thru the day alive! Truly, there's do much to do, and its so tiring, without having to worry about expressing.
    Just concentrate on establishing the breastfeeding - your body knows how much to make...

Don't feel you need any sort of routine ever Chrissy - especially when they are newborn. IMO they just add more stress and worry to your day. Just keep you and bubs happy, they'll let you know what they need when!

cazoraz Guest

I've read that book too, and while I agree with some of the routine things I never agreed with the feeding and expressing stuff. Everyone's boobs & babies are different and require different amounts!

My DD followed the sleep routines to a tee, she did it naturally without me having to do anything, but the feeding ones were way off. She was a super quick feeder and would be finished in 10mins, where as in teh book it said stuff like "feed left breast 1/2hr then 15mins on right breast" - how could she possibly know how much my baby was getting in that time, or how much I was supplying?

My DS was different, a huge feeder and a lot bigger baby, and his feeds were much longer. So if I followed the feeding routines in that book, Lucy would have hated it and Coleman would have loved it.

It is nice when they go into a routine, but I think you have to wait and see what your babies ques are and work around that.

xxxCaz