thread: Breastfeeding semi-aversion and general rant

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Registered User

    Nov 2009
    Scottish expat living in Geelong
    5,572

    I went through several phases of breastfeeding aversion with my twins, culminating at 22 months when it was all too much and I couldn't go on another minute. I can't say you will get over this because only you know yourself, but you have done an amazing job and I'm sure you will continue to do so whether you breastfeed any longer or not. But in the meantime maybe have a chat with your DH and explain the pressure you feel you are under and explain that you need him to step up with the housework because you are only one woman and you can't do it all. Good luck

  2. #2
    Registered User

    May 2007
    Warrnambool Vic
    1,476

    You have really done an amazing job. Really! Breastfeeding is blamed for a lot of things - but I have to say up front, it’s not the fault of breastfeeding that you have to get up and do the dishes! You need to have a word with your bloke Yes, like anything else, it’s normal to feel “over it”. Even the things you love can be a chore, and there’s not a pink glow every time you breastfeed. I am convinced, also, that gentle discipline starts at the breast. It’s OK to say “no, don’t pinch” or “if you hit your sister you’ll have to hop off”. And you wouldn’t be human if you weren’t a bit ****ed about having to mop spew off yourself and your children. (Once again, not the fault of breastfeeding). You are doing an amazing job under difficult circumstances. You would be well within your rights to give it up - but something tells me you are going to keep going

  3. #3
    Registered User

    May 2007
    Otago, NZ
    877

    Thanks for the replies. Yes, it was supposed to be entirely about breastfeeding but finished up being a little tirade about everything else bugging me as well!
    Barb - I suspect you are right in that it is definitely not the end of our bf journey - DH and I had a little chat last night which I feel better about and we have even shifted the goalposts to carrying on feeding until 2 if it is still right for all of us. I do agree about the gentle disciplining at the breast and I do try and say no and removing little hands when they start to pinch and scratch - how does one enforce this when the owners of the little hands think its a big joke when mummy says no?