thread: Breastfeeding - what do I need to know?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Registered User

    Oct 2007
    Middle Victoria
    8,924

    I had a VB and my milk came in day 4. The day before bub was on the breast almost non-stop and was very unsettled. When my milk came in she had a a big sleep.

    When your milk comes in, it can leak LOTS! I have a stack of facewashers next to the bed, and in the lounge. I also have a towel under the sheet where i lay. I use the facewashers when feeding to contain the excess milk.

    I don't have any formula in the house, and haven't needed any yet.

    My nipples don't feel like they have been rubbed with a grater! If you get good attachment it doesn't really hurt at all, it can be a little uncomfortable at the start of the feed. Get some lansinoh in case you do get cracked nipples.

    Sometimes bub will feed for an hour or more, and this is ok.

    You can feed in different positions, work out what works for you and your bub.

    Find out about what to look out for with mastitis.

    *If bub attachment hurts, don't just pull bub away from the nipple (cos this will hurt!) Slide your pinky finger into her mouth and break the seal and then you can get your nipple out.

    If you join the ABA, they send you a book that i found really good in explaining how breastfeeding works. You also get a magazine every few months.

    If you have any concerns with breastfeeding when bub is here, call the ABA helpline on 1800 mum 2 mum (1800 686 2 686).

  2. #2
    Registered User

    Dec 2009
    605

    Everything Barb said!!

    I found that even though DD had a perfect latch from the start, my nipples did still feel like they'd been attacked with a grater.. This subsided after about 4 days, but every now and then the feeling comes back when DD goes through a frequent feeding phase.
    You should get some Lansinoh (it's just lanolin cream, I think) in preparation, so you won't have to dread feeding times for those first few days.

    I dont think you should get any formula 'in preparation' because IMO these may tempt you, and also, if you use it, it will make it more difficult and slower to establish your own supply. DD has never had anything but a nipple touch her lips, and it was definitely not an easy journey (just check my threads!!) but I can honestly say that at the 6 week mark it all suddenly fell into place!

    You should also ignore any advice from anyone, unless they are a Lactation Consultant. Don't listen to midwives. And even your own mum may have terrible advice, so always double check on the ABA website etc before doing anything too different.

    Also, try really hard to keep your baby awake during feeds, this will help you get more sleep at night. I find tickling the inside of their ears helps.

    Oh yeah, and also, people tell you to express if you are too engorged (your boobs will feel like rocks and nipples might feel stingy) but I never did, IMO this again just interferes with your body's way of maintaining supply, also, what if your baby suddenly gets hungry after you've just expressed? Then you have to console poor crying baby while you wait a little while for them to fill again! Not ideal!
    Last edited by turtleschell; April 22nd, 2010 at 10:33 PM. : add more

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Add ~clover~ on Facebook

    Sep 2007
    travelling
    9,557

    1. It is normal for baby to feed every 2 hours.
    2. It is normal for baby to cluster feed. Which could mean 3 hours of non stop feeding.
    3. I would leave the formula in the shop TBH. If its there & you have trouble, its way too easy to give in.
    4. It takes alot of time & patience
    5. You do need support.
    6. Everything Barb has said.
    7. If you have any issues at all call the ABA or even your health nurse. Some do have no clue about BFing though, so don't take their advice as gospel.
    8. Find the number of any or all lactation consultants in your area, JIC.
    9. RELAX & take it each day as it comes

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Add Shades on Facebook

    May 2008
    Capalaba, QLD
    1,243

    Great advice from the other ladies, just wanted to add my bit -
    Totally agree with the 'no emergency formula' bit, too easy to give in at 2am etc etc...
    Even with a great latch it's not ALWAYS a great latch, and even one feed with a not so good latch (that you don't notice at the time) can have painful consequences, you just need to push past it if you can.
    Regardless of how many people ask if you are SURE you have enough milk because bub is feeding constantly/you can't seem to express much/the moon is in Virgo/whatever reason - as long as there are lots of wet nappies and bub is gaining weight, you are doing a great job. People try to be helpful and often just make you doubt yourself.
    Being used as a dummy is great for establishing supply... and it can be hard at first to figure out what is productive sucking and what is comfort sucking, so I figure stay away from dummies for at least 6 weeks or so.
    The amount you can express has little to do with how much your baby can get out, they are FAR more efficient.
    I found Lansinoh stained my clothes.
    Make every effort to have bub with you in recovery, ideally skin-to-skin and on the breast, even if not actually feeding (though that's ideal).
    I've read that the more sucking and skin-to-skin contact, the faster your milk will come in... My DS was on the breast almost constantly (he wouldn't sleep for longer than 20mins anywhere else) since birth (by CS) and my milk came in on day 3 I think...
    Consider safe co-sleeping if possible (once off the heavy pain meds) - great for milk establishment.

    Oh and the most important thing - take your time, relax and enjoy this new person you've created!

  5. #5
    Registered User

    Sep 2008
    Melbourne
    3,300

    The one thing I felt stupid not knowing was in hospital MW's would ask how long since last feed (wanted feeding at least every three hours) and the time was from beginning of feed not from end of it.

  6. #6
    Registered User

    Nov 2006
    brisbane
    3,975

    I agree wiht Barb and Shades
    Another couple of hints that helped me are
    Breastmilk is great to rub on cracked nipples plus its all natural
    BELIEVE in your boobs
    Have confidence!
    dont buy formula...you wont need it...again confidence!
    Bubs wont starve till day 4 they get just the right amount that they need
    Try not to stress if bubs gets unsettled...you would to after being fed all the time in a nice squishy place for 9 months and then being taken out lol
    Defintiely ABA!
    It hurts.....I know they say it shouldnt but its a sensation you have never felt before so it will.
    I wouldnt wear a bra....I did when I had DS! and found I was in more pain wiht m,y boobs when milk came in...wiht DS2 I just wore singlets and breast pads so it gave my boobs more room to expand etc.

    and most importantly ENJOY all the new wonderful things your baby will bring BF is an amazing journey and you will find that it has many ups and downs but the ups always outweigh the downs
    Good luck sweety you will be fine xxxx

  7. #7
    Registered User

    Jul 2005
    Sydney
    7,896

    Good on you for asking. I had a c/s and my milk came in bang on 72 hrs after DD's birth. The advice on keeping bub with you and skin-to-skin as much as possible is good. I was intent on making sure she had a bf within the first couple of hours, when most newborns are alert.

    Whatever happens, remember you CAN do it. Babies are born to breastfeed. If there are things that don't go immediately to plan (for eg, I couldn't do skin-to-skin in theatre as we were delayed and the theatre was too cold, completely unforseen), take a deep breath and try again.

    Joining the ABA is a good idea. If you can, see if you can get along to a meet-up with your local group before you give birth. They'll be able to give you advice IRL and you can probably get the contact number of a local counsellor if you need it.

    GL hun! I'm sure with all of your preparedness you'll be able to establish a great bfing relationship.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Add helle on Facebook

    Sep 2008
    Bunbury, Western Australia
    3,963

    1. It is normal for baby to feed every 2 hours.
    2. It is normal for baby to cluster feed. Which could mean 3 hours of non stop feeding.
    3. I would leave the formula in the shop TBH. If its there & you have trouble, its way too easy to give in.
    4. It takes alot of time & patience
    5. You do need support.
    6. Everything Barb has said.
    7. If you have any issues at all call the ABA or even your health nurse. Some do have no clue about BFing though, so don't take their advice as gospel.
    8. Find the number of any or all lactation consultants in your area, JIC.
    9. RELAX & take it each day as it comes
    agree, leave the formula at the shops. for your milk to come in bubba needs to suck suck suck on you! Remember too that you are also your bubs "water" supply. This one got me, DS was born smack in the middle of summer and I got so frustrated when he'd want more after I'd fed him only half an hour ago, until mum pointed this out to me.

    GL, I hope you have a fantastic birth and recovery! <3

  9. #9
    Registered User

    Nov 2007
    Perth, WA
    143

    Hi Kritkit

    I have been feeding my dd for 6 months. I think one of the best things I have learnt as its gets easier! in EVERY way! they seem to feed so often and for so long as newborns, this paired with tiredness and sleepless nights can be hard. But it definately gets easier. dd used to take over an hour at first, now it takes her about 5 minutes. they get more efficient at taking the milk out of the breast, so they take more but in a shorter time. Breast feeding is not only the perfect food for baby, but so handy. I couldnt be bothered with washing all those bottles, or preparing a bottle when dd wants a feed straight away.
    I remember breastfeeding was difficult at first, to attach my baby, get in the right position, needing pillows etc. its definately gets easier!, I can feed standing up, on the move or wherever now.
    Also I was told by a few people that I would have to feed through the night and if I gave a bottle dd would 'sleep through'. but I know many formula fed babies that wake through the night also. DD has slept between 9-12hours a night since 7 weeks old (and shes exclusively breastfed).
    My first aim was to feed dd for at least 3 weeks.. then 6 weeks, then 3 months. Of course I knew it was better to feed long-term but I set myself small goals. I found it help in the beginning. My next aim is 1 year.

    I also had an open-mind in the being, knowing that breast is best (if you are able to do it), but formula was an alternative. It helped me to relax a bit more.

    Good luck with breast feeding and good luck with the birth of your baby
    Last edited by Jen27; April 30th, 2010 at 01:01 PM.

  10. #10
    Registered User

    Nov 2008
    Perth
    582

    ABA?

    Hi again, thanks to everyone for the great advice and support!

    Just a question re ABA - I haven't got any letter or confirmation (but they have charged me) I was really hoping to have the book before I went to hossy cross fingers it arrives tomorrow or very early Wednesday morning! - does it usually take this long?

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Add ~clover~ on Facebook

    Sep 2007
    travelling
    9,557

    I can't answer your question, but wanted to add something.

    You mentioned badly cracked nipples & bleeding last time? I'll just make a suggestion. Silicon nipple shields can help. They aren't good for long term use, but I used them while my cracks & thrush healed & they were a God send. I only used them for 2 days, but they gave my nipples the break they needed to heal, while I still fed DS as much as he wanted.
    Nipples do heal quite fast, so I wouldn't recommend using them any longer than about 2 days, but they truly did help me. Maybe they'll be worth a try in the middle of the night. The step before formula. Baby still needs to put in effort to drink too, so him/her becoming confused shouldn't be an issue
    Only if you feel comfortable using them though

  12. #12
    Registered User

    Nov 2008
    Perth
    582

    Thank you!

    Thank you all for your replies - some great advice here.

    I have decided to get a subscription to the ABA!

    I already have the lansinoh - I used it during the 1st trimester cause my nipples were dry, and I started using it again this week for the same reason.

    For now all I can do is wait till she arrives and give it a go!

  13. #13
    Registered User

    Mar 2010
    Happy Land
    319

    The other ladies have given you great advice which I won't repeat but one thing that I wish someone had told me...and I would have know if I had joined BB earlier...feed your baby lots, whenever they want it, it is so important in establishing a good supply.

    My DS was in SC for 5 days and I was told to go to the nursery every 3hrs to feed him and, not knowing any better, I followed this when I got home. We introduced a dummy and he settled quite well but I knew nothing about cluster feeding and have not had many friends who breastfed successfully so didn't get any good advice, I gave DS the dummy when really I should have been feeding him.

    We did okay until 11 weeks when my supply dropped. I contacted ABA...they are fantastic and have been able to continue BF my DS who is now 5 and a half months and a healthy 8.8kgs. But I went through weeks of stress (and people hounding me to start him on formula!) that I could have avoided if I had researched more and asked great questions like you are doing now!

    I used lansinoh in the weeks leading up to the birth and am not sure if it was because of that but I had no problems whatsoever with sore or cracked nipples. I was also prepared for my boobs to be really sore but it was nowhere near as bad as I expected.

    On the c-section, kmn has given you some great advice..especially about the pain relief! Don't be afraid to ask for it, it is better for you to be mobile as soon as possible and the pain relief will help you with that. The other thing is that the pain relief can cause constipation, if that happens you need to ask for something straight away...I waited and ended up in agony

    One last thing, BF is the most beautiful thing, I am in awe that my body is able to sustain my beautiful DS. It really is a great bonding experience and worth the sometimes frustrating times at the beginning. If you can, stick with it, those times pass so quickly. Goodluck