Thread: Breastfeeding while pregnant - tender nipple

Question Breastfeeding while pregnant - tender nipple

I'm 5 weeks pregnant and feeding my 19mo DD. She only feeds on the Right side (ever since 14 mo she refused the left side, its a flat nipple ) and as it is, only feeding on one side has it's disadvantages as in your poor nipple gets sooo much use!!

Since becoming pregnant, in the last few days this nipple has become more and more tender when she attaches and feeds. More so at the start of a feed than during. She has great attachment.....

Just want to know will this always be tender for the next 8months or will it get easier? I want to continue feeding my DD as long as she wants (or until I've well and truly had enough )

Hoping to mainly hear from those who fed (or are feeding) a toddler with only one side and are pregnant....

Thanks, any advice would be great.

Hey hun! I got this too when I was pg I think your body gets senstive when your pg so I found feeding became a bit ouchy! It settled down pretty quickly from what i remember
    Ds1 weaned while I was pg too. Good luck hun hope its not too sore x

I didn't have sore nipples in the first tri and thought I had escaped it. But my bbs all of a sudden grew in the second tri and then it started to hurt. It's usually just at the beginning of the feed, and then settles down. I have found after a few weeks it's not as bad. Don't know if I have just got used to it or not.

I am reading 'adventures in tandem nursing' at the moment and it says that everyone is different, it is more painful for some people and some people have it the whole way through, or it comes and goes. So I guess no telling what we're in for!

Thanks lovely ladies

Heaven, I have that book as part of our ABA library (I'm the group librarian so get to read all the books yay! ) so once I've finished a book I'm reading, that is next to read on my list!! Looking forward to reading it.

Well hopefully it eases off and isn't going to be so uncomfortable at feed times..... it is a good thing DD doesn't feed at all during the night anymore until 5am (she recently just started doing this yay!!!!!!) and her day feeds are only probably 3 feeds anyway so only 4 feeds out of 24hrs we've cut down too now. So that's good!!

It is hard when you're only feeding from one side. Makes it extra challenging!

Yeah, that's where I got it! Borrowed it from trusty ABA! lol. Hope it eases up for you soon.

I need to read that book! I am feeding from both sides and have found that a bit of a challenge so am very sympathetic! I think the second trimester was the worst. Now (at 35 weeks) theres some tenderness but its not unbearable and its really only the middle of the night feeds that have really been unpleasant. I am constantly telling DS to be gentle these days and I find holding onto my boob myself helps and I'm using Lansinoh which I never used before becoming pregnant. Good luck!

Hi Shanti (did I mention I am super excited about your bubba)...

My nipples were very tender from conception to around 7 weeks, and have eased off since. The biggest change for me was a sudden drop in supply at around 8 weeks. My bbs are so deflated and DD only really sounds like she's drinking in the morning (she doesn't feed between 8pm and 6:30am). This drop in supply surprisingly has lead to more feeding from dd, who basically would feed ALL day if I let her (although it could be because I am lolling on the couch all day and 'available' rather than up and about like I used to be).

How are you feeling otherwise? I am finally starting to get some energy again, thank goodness...those early weeks are tough.

Thanks Arcadia I can't believe you're 13wks now!! That has gone fast.... probably not fast enough for you though if you're feeling crap!

I feel great, although more tired than usual..... chasing after a toddler is exhausting enough let alone being pg too hey!? But I don't have any MS yet (touch wood!) and eating fine. I got MS last time at 6wks with DD so it's still early days yet.... I did another hpt today just to see those 2 lines again haha and the line was darker than the control line so yep still pregnant LOL!!

I hope my nipple isn't so tender afterr 7wks like your's was then..... there is hope then!

Hi Shanti,

Just thought I'd share this thread with you - if you ever have anything you want to ask/chat about in the future .

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...er-thread.html

Quote Originally Posted by sterla View Post
    Hi Shanti,

Just thought I'd share this thread with you - if you ever have anything you want to ask/chat about in the future .

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...er-thread.html
    Thanks Sterla for that link!! I was wondering yesterday if a thread like that existed and forgot to go and look! off to have a peek.....