Thread: Breastfeeding and Yasmin?

Default Breastfeeding and Yasmin?

I'm pretty sure I know the answer here (unfortunately), but is there anyone who has breastfed and taken a combined pill like Yasmin, and not had an adverse effects on their supply?

GP has prescribed me Yasmin for help with PCOS symptoms, and obviously for birth control, but that's secondary. I'm still breastfeeding DD2, who is 2 now. I don't want to lose my supply or cut our bf short, so I didn't fill the script, because all I've heard about combined contraceptives and breastfeeding is, don't do it.

Thoughts and experiences?

Default Re: Breastfeeding and Yasmin?

I will have a look about because am sure I read something somewhere about combined and extended breastfeeding, something along the lines of it being less hormonally driven so therefore less likely to be affected (although no guarantee as is just like pregnancy some people have dramatic reduction in supply and some is minimally effected). I looked into it between DD and DS because the mini didn't agree with me, we didn't end up going down that path because decided to have DS but I think had decided I would just let whatever would be be at that stage of BF DD. I will try find article.

My supply was not affected at all but I did go of it after a few months as I had too much breakthrough bleeding. It didn't settle after 3months so I ended up going on something else.

I can't find where I read it - I think the problem would be there has probably been very little if any study done into the effects of the combined pills on lactation at 2 years post-partum. Most of the research is done in the 0-6 month bracket - which it makes it very difficult to make a decision.

I think if I was you and Yasmin will benefit you from the PCOS perspective - I would take a what will be will be approach and take it - and accept that there is a possibility it will end your BF relationship, but is also possible that it won't. (given the age of your DD - if she was younger than 18 months then depending on the problems PCOS is causing I might well wait till later before starting combined)