Thread: Breastmilk & Poop

Default Breastmilk & Poop

Why is it that some bubs can go for an extended period without pooping and others are more regular?

My little one poops at least once a day. Is she taking in more than her body can use or does my milk contain stuff she doesn't want/need? Does she have a fast metabolism?

i;m not worried about it, more of an intellectual curiosity (- the things that fill my mind atm)

DD1 always went once a day but DD2 would go for about 5 days. The explanation I was given was that DD2 was getting just what she needed so didn't need to go as often, dd1 was a guzzler could never get enough milk so she went more often as her body didn't need it.

In the first 2-3 months babies should generally poo several times a day. It's only after that, as their digestive system matures a bit more, that they start to go longer. So your baby may just be a little behind the curve, as it were.
    My DS only started to slow down at around 4 months, he had a few weeks were he went once per week just before we started him on solids, then he was back to every day or two.

I often wonder this.
    Z was a regular after every meal pooper, then it dwindle to 1 a day and now even though she's fully BF she is lucky to go twice a week?
    I am not sure if it's due to her having solids now, i give her water and pears and sometimes that makes more of a difference.. hmmm i wonder.

Mine is still firmly in after-a-meal pooping mode - he's 3.5 weeks and a guts

I've been thinking about this too...

My boy is 14 months and still poos up to 5 times a day, it's ridiculous! I'm thinking he just has a fast metabolism like DH, food goes right though them both!

Ha, funny. The things we think about!
    DS2 was pooing after every feed up until we added a little bit of solids and now it's about 3 a day, thankfully
    I think both my boys are just pooey - DS1 still poos 3 times a day

I just asked the health nurse about the other day - I hear so much that BF bubs can go days without pooping - not my little super crapper! She goes at least once a day, sometimes twice, and has only ever gone one day without pooping. And from the nappy that followed the next day (a number 7 I reckon!) I am praying she continues to go every day It was most traumatic for me on clean up

Personally I prefer everyday, rather than the massive weekly explosion that no nappy can contain and takes out everything in its path.: and sends everyone running leap:

I thinks its just an individual thing, just like it is for us.

I had one of each - a once every 1 -2 weeker, and an every day or so pooer. I have no idea why they were different, it must just be an individual thing. FWIW the regular poo-er still had some pretty spectacular poo-sposions, possibly worse than his brother, so I prefer option 1!

Oh good, my regular poo-er does some crazy poo-spolosions too! I have no idea what a weekly poo from her would look like!