thread: Can my 6mo have normal porridge oats?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Registered User

    Dec 2007
    1,794

    Hi Leasha,

    We started our DD on meat about 7 months. Our reason was that we wanted her to have veges and fruit first, and were introducing things one by one. I just cooked casserol style in water (without all the normal casserole flavours to start with), then minced in the food processor. I never pureed meat..

    Oh - and we gave oats (porridge from 5&1/2) months mixed with formula, then when yoghurt introduced, replaced formula with yoghurt.
    Last edited by Doing my best; February 5th, 2009 at 07:02 AM.

  2. #2
    Registered User

    Sep 2005
    In the middle of nowhere
    9,362

    Darcy wouldn't eat the baby porridges/cereals...she loved oats - so that's what she had. That's what she still has. Some of the 'rules' say to steer clear of oats and wheat based cereals for the first 12 months, but I agree with Barb.

  3. #3
    Registered User

    Jun 2008
    in the eye of a toddler tornado
    2,450

    sorry for crashing leasha but what about dairy? my DD is always trying to steal my yoghurt

  4. #4
    2013 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

    May 2007
    Brisbane
    5,310

    Hi pixie, apparently yoghurt is safe from 6 months. I've also heard that the baby yoghurt is only less lumpy than our yoghurt so no need to go buy special yoghurt just make sure there aren't overly huge lumps in whatever you give them.

  5. #5
    Registered User

    Jun 2008
    in the eye of a toddler tornado
    2,450

    cool! that'll make her happy!

  6. #6
    Registered User

    Dec 2005
    In Bankworld with Barbara
    14,222

    Leasha, my eldest two only ever ate oats/porridge for brekkie as toddlers - still love it in winter. It is really really filling and low GI too, so it's a perfect food choice for her.

    The Pixie, just buy the normal yoghurt, there's no need to worry about the 'baby' ones as they are usually loads more expensive too. The baby ones often have more sugar as well, and make sure you don't buy low fat.

  7. #7
    Registered User

    Jun 2008
    in the eye of a toddler tornado
    2,450

    No Trill, I wouldn't buy those baby yoghurts and I don't believe in low fat dairy so I definitely wouldn't give it to her! I just gave her some of ours which is plain gippsland dairy yoghurt (very yum btw) with some banana and she absolutely LOVED IT! Never seen her enjoy something so much!

  8. #8
    Registered User

    Dec 2007
    Victoria
    7,260

    Charlotte wont eat anything for breakfast except Daddy's oats, or mummy's weetbix! lol
    Apparently I cant make oats properly and DH CANNOT make weetbix properly!

    I think she first had some of daryl oats when she was about 5.5 months...when we started her on cereals she would eat some farex some days if i was there, but she still would rather wait for Daryl to make her breakfast