thread: Choosing the right formula milk: Are some formula milk brands better than others?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    BellyBelly Life Subscriber
    Add Beautiful Disaster on Facebook Follow Beautiful Disaster On Twitter

    Jun 2010
    Brisbane - where it is never like it should be.
    3,411

    My gp always told me not to worry about the 'gold' As it wasn't necessary

  2. #2
    Moderator

    Oct 2004
    In my Zombie proof fortress.
    6,449

    I remember my MCHN with DD1 telling me about that they were all pretty much the same. The main thing I noticed was the scoop size, the cheaper brands had bigger scoops, so you are forced to make a larger qty. Not so much an issue with an older bub who drinks more, but wasteful for a little one where it was mainly for top ups.

  3. #3
    BellyBelly Life Subscriber

    Jan 2006
    11,633

    I think gold often denotes a higher iron content (is that right?), which is a concern if your child doesn't actually need extra iron.

  4. #4
    BellyBelly Life Subscriber
    Add Beautiful Disaster on Facebook Follow Beautiful Disaster On Twitter

    Jun 2010
    Brisbane - where it is never like it should be.
    3,411

    I think gold often denotes a higher iron content (is that right?), which is a concern if your child doesn't actually need extra iron.
    That's what my gp said

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Add Little Chicken on Facebook

    Mar 2010
    Melbourne
    1,855

    I thought the gold implied things like extra omega fats etc.

  6. #6

    Mar 2004
    Sparta
    12,662

    What about organic?
    I thought it might be healthier and it's not Nestle or Karicare so you can buy it without worrying about 3rd world babies...
    But now I think about it...... they probably use organic milk as the base but after that it would be just as processed as the other formulas.

  7. #7
    Registered User

    Nov 2010
    1,994

    I was told that some bubs actually get more tummy pains from the gold and not to bother with it as the difference was very minimal.

  8. #8
    Registered User

    Sep 2008
    Gold Coast
    1,153

    I think that the only expensive ones that make a difference are the ones made of completely different ingredients, ie goat and soy. (I also think the HA maybe a little better too)
    My DS did completely different poo's on goat formula compared to cows.
    But yeah, between the regular cows, I never thought there was much difference.