Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: clothing for BF

Default clothing for BF

what do you wear when you BF? im hopping to get to Mothercare this wekend to see what range of tops they have for when i am BF (i hope)

Just wondering what you ladies wear and how you manange when out and about

Singlets are very handy.
    There are bf singlets. But you can buy some cheap regular ones to wear under your regular clothes. Then you pull up the outer layer and pull down the singlet, drop your bra cup and voila! The best thing about singlets is that they cover the post-baby belly.
    The really nice bf tops tend to be very exxy, so I actually never bought any, just a couple of cheap ones on sale.

We were too poor to dedicate money to BF clothes so I've always just worn my regular clothes. Plus they were always too matronly for me. I don't wear anything skin tight so I just hoik up my top ...don't even use a wrap. You do get pretty good at being discreet though.
    Took me a while to get the hang of dresses, but as long as they either have thin straps and cross over bodice or a deep V (and I wear a singlet underneath like Marcellus suggested) it's all good.

Anything that can easily be pulled down or lifted up.
    I find wearing tops that I can pull down much easier to BF in, than tops that need to be lifted up.

mothercare rocks!!
    love it - and they have pretty tops and bras!
    I didnt buy any special tops but like the others always wear a breastfeeding singlet- day and night underneath my regular tops
    it also has a build in bra for extra support
    same with the others - i was a puller down rather than a lifter up - so just stretched my top down and flop it out!! LOL
    cross over tops are good and round necked top are the best - easier access
    hope this helps and dont go too crazy at mothercare!!
    you going to the donny one or the chaddy one??

Quote Originally Posted by ~Kim~ View Post
    We were too poor to dedicate money to BF clothes so I've always just worn my regular clothes. Plus they were always too matronly for me. I don't wear anything skin tight so I just hoik up my top ...don't even use a wrap. You do get pretty good at being discreet though.
    Took me a while to get the hang of dresses, but as long as they either have thin straps and cross over bodice or a deep V (and I wear a singlet underneath like Marcellus suggested) it's all good.

I never bought BF clothes either - I never saw the need. I felt fine lifting my top - and I lived in Perth in Summer - so not into layers lol

If people don't want to see the very small amount of belly you could see, don't look! lol Mind you, I am walking BFer - I will walk through a shopping centre anytime, anyday, breastfeeding on the go

Quote Originally Posted by LimeSlice View Post

Mind you, I am walking BFer - I will walk through a shopping centre anytime, anyday, breastfeeding on the go
    Me too LimeSlice!

Loula, I wear the bonds singlets and regular tops over the top. Lift up the top or pull it down if it's a v-neck.

I got sometops from expressiva online..american site but great tops and cheap postage...nice non preggy looking styles

Also check out preggi central...they are down here in seaford but are Victorias biggest maternity store...they have some really cool BF outfits....

Hot milk and Cake Lingeries bras are just the best!! Preggi central stocks a huge range of them as well.....

Hi,
    As some-one else said, all you need is something you can easily pull up - pretty much the baby hides the rest. I only realised late in the piece that the point of breastfeeding clothes was not to hide your breast, but to hide your tummy, if anything. While you are in the area, check out Mothers Direct in Malvern

I didn't have any BF tops with DD because I couldnt find any that were small enough that didn't cost heaps. I just wear clothes that are stretchy enough to pull to one side or loose enough to pull up.

I've gotten a collection of normal clothes that the neck line is elastic or can be pulled down, otherwise it can be lifted and wear a singlet underneath. I have little me shopping trips to hunt for stuff.

Also glad to know I am not the only one who walks while bf

I currently have no clothes that fit and am changing shape so fast it isn't funny, but here goes ...

I've just been wearing Kmart long skivvies a size too big, with a (very crappy looking) cardigan over the top. Open the cardi, pull up the top, everything stays warm and covered. I desperately need a new bra but am waiting for my size to settle before I try getting one online since I'm on the cusp between a 10 and 12 at the moment and the weight is just falling off. As to pants, I'm still in maternity pants that sit under the post-baby bump and look dreadful so I have bought the highest waisted normal pants I could find off ebay and those should help hiding the bump a bit. High waisted tight jeans are brilliant for bump-flattening.

I have some crossover wrap-ish style dresses here that are good for BF but only with an A-opening bra, and my current bra is the other style where your entire boob gets uncovered, and at night I have some button-down-the-front pajamas that never seem to stay buttoned up for long ...

wow thanks everyone! this thread has had some great tips! My mum is coming over from the UK and has a friend that works at Mothercare UK so she is on to it, im not planning on spending too much so was hopping for some great ideas that you have provided.

I am larger in the breast so i just want to make sure that i'm not walking around with then dragging behind me and still able to look OK. lol i have several good support bra's already (just hope they still fit!lol)

I will keep you posted. I also have a few of the bonds feeding tops which i plan on wearing in the hospital and in bed at night, i just spill out them a bit for day time use. The two singlet idea is something i will be inforcing lol

And Barb i guess it is more to hide the tummy!

Quote Originally Posted by marcellus View Post
    Singlets are very handy.
    There are bf singlets. But you can buy some cheap regular ones to wear under your regular clothes. Then you pull up the outer layer and pull down the singlet, drop your bra cup and voila! The best thing about singlets is that they cover the post-baby belly.
    The really nice bf tops tend to be very exxy, so I actually never bought any, just a couple of cheap ones on sale.
    :yeahthat:

I lived in Bonds and Kmart breastfeeding singlets and layerd in the cooler months. They were brilliant, loved them. The Kmart one are really good value and often on special but the Bonds ones come in quite a few different colours and styles now and look really good on their own. I've hardly worn bras while breastfeeding as I found the support in the singlets more than sufficient. They have a bit of padding too which gives you a nice shape and is a bit of extra protection if you spring a leak unexpectedly.

The breastfeeding singlets from K-Mart's BB / maternity line are great!!! $12-15 dollars in black or white. Cover the tummy and lift up to expose the feeding breast only (and I have a large bust too). NICU were impressed with them too because they can be used for kangaroo cuddles without over exposing the mother. Not to mention the extra warmth at this time of year!! I wear them to bed at night too.

I tried the jockey? bfeeding singlets but didn't like them because they drop completely off the breast so all is exposed (until bub is there and covering up).

I love the K mart breastfeeding tops. They are great because they cover the tummy AND the top of the breast. If bub is being distracted, i slide the top panel down again which covers the nipple until bub is ready again. I breastfeed at home in other tops and just pull them up, but find it too awkward when i am out unless i have one of the k mart ones.

I keep my eye out for tops with buttons down the front, and I wear deep Vs and scoop necks a lot more than I used to. With a scarf for winter, or my neck/collarbone & cleavage gets cold! Also loving the BF singlets - I can wear them by themselves in summer, or layer under a turtleneck in winter.

I second the Kmart b/f tops, the black or white ones that are $15.
    I bought 3 - and wear one every single time I go out - they pull up and then down over your breasts, are very discreet and are basically AWESOME!

Sue x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast