thread: Do I need to "fatten her up""?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Registered User

    Dec 2007
    Sunny Qld
    14,682

    Well if you have to, then I have to as well!! LOL.. DD1 is nearly 2.5 and weighs 14kg but is 96.5cm tall.. she's very lean, and you can see her ribs.

    But I put the food in front of her, she just chooses not to eat, so there isn't much more I can do until she stops this stupid non-eating phase!

  2. #2
    BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

    Jun 2004
    The Festival State
    3,008

    DD is 19 months, 87cm tall and weighs 13.5kg.

    my DD is FOUR, 100cm tall and weighs 14kg. i wonder what your charts say about that. No-one ever says to me "she's too thin" because she looks in proportion and healthy. Does your dd look in proportion and healthy? Early on, a nurse told me, what you go on is skin tone and if the eyes look alert. not the kilos or charts so much. that reassured me a bit.

    i have a child who is not interested in food or drink and doesn't go to the loo much but isn't constipated (i have no idea why not). It's hard to let go of the anxiety about food, all the kids her age are so much bigger.

  3. #3
    Platinum Member. Love a friend xxx

    Mar 2008
    Perth, WA
    1,225

    Yeah I can see P's ribs too, just, but apart from that she doesn't look like an underweight child, kwim?

    Thanks for the words of wisdom, ladies!

    I guess at her height, anything that isn't too fat will look a little lean on her becuase she's so tall, if that makes sense.

  4. #4
    Platinum Member. Love a friend xxx

    Mar 2008
    Perth, WA
    1,225

    Thanks for the advice about the supplements...it's mainly the B12 that worries me becuase it was never ever something that crossed my mind as a lactose intollerant vegan...and I recently discovered that I am very low in it. Apparently the only good sources of it (apart from supplements) are meat and dairy.

  5. #5
    Registered User

    May 2008
    Gtown
    666

    My DS is 2.5yrs and weighs about 12kg and has always fallen off the charts. We did try this powder called Polydule. In a can like the formula cans and got it from the chemist. My MCHN and a dietician put us onto it. You just put it in their milk or sprinkle on their food. I don't think it did much for him but he did gain a bit of weight for awhile but very slowly.
    I just put butter and cheese in everything and lotsa yoghurt. It's hard but I think some kids are just different and develop at their own rates!

  6. #6
    Registered User

    Oct 2007
    ★ nor here nor there ★
    4,134

    Well if you have to, then I have to as well!! LOL.. DD1 is nearly 2.5 and weighs 14kg but is 96.5cm tall.. she's very lean, and you can see her ribs.

    But I put the food in front of her, she just chooses not to eat, so there isn't much more I can do until she stops this stupid non-eating phase!
    ROFL DD1 is more than 10cm shorter, and a 1/2kg lighter, but doesn't look skinny

  7. #7
    Platinum Member. Love a friend xxx

    Mar 2008
    Perth, WA
    1,225

    DH had a 26 inch waist until he turned 30, so maybe DD takes after him!

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Add *TripleJ* on Facebook

    Jan 2009
    Diggers Rest VIC
    2,945

    jamie is only 12.15kgs last time we checked and hes the same age as P so i dont think u need to fatten her up at all at his 18 month checkup the nurse didnt say anythingabout his weight so it must be ok i say dont stress

  9. #9
    Registered User

    Apr 2009
    in the garden
    3,767

    Should have added, Pie doesn't look underweight, in fact she has a very nice little pot belly

    So I tend to go less on weight and more as other have said, on how she IS. Looks healthy, happy, active etc.

  10. #10
    Platinum Member. Love a friend xxx

    Mar 2008
    Perth, WA
    1,225

    Should have added, Pie doesn't look underweight, in fact she has a very nice little pot belly

    So I tend to go less on weight and more as other have said, on how she IS. Looks healthy, happy, active etc.
    Yep, she is def thriving in that regard, thanks!

  11. #11
    Registered User

    Oct 2008
    1,572

    My sister has problems with her DD, she is very skinny and doesn't eat much at all. Mum said it is just like my sister when she was little. The Paed is concerned so my sister gives her DD suppliments and offers full cream milk at mealtimes with milo to initiate her appetite. She also does egg flips I think, which is eggs in warmed up milk, so it is just thickend milk, like custard maybe...

    Not too sure, DD2 is 18mo and 11kg, and eats like a horse but is still skinny!

  12. #12
    Registered User

    Oct 2008
    SA
    1,078

    Well if you need to fatten her up, then I need to fatten DS up. He's 19 months old and barely weighs 10kg. Can't tell you his height. Same as Mel & a few others, anyone can see he's lean - you can see his ribs etc....but that's just him. DP & I are lean too. He's extremely active, talks non-stop and happy & healthy in every other way, so I'm not going to push poo uphill to try and force feed more into him. He's going through a fussy stage at the moment....he'd live on dairy (in particular yoghurt) right now if we let him. What else can you do?

  13. #13
    Registered User

    Feb 2008
    Melbourne
    1,022

    Definitely doesn't sound a problem to me either. My DD is 26 months and weighs about 10-11kgs. So she's older than your DD and weighs less. She's alert, happy and healthy and eats a lot. And even has a little pot belly. So I'm not worried at all. Saying that I was worried at one stage and took my DD to a paediatrician who put my mind at ease. So if it's really bothering you I do recommend you see someone for piece of mind. HTH

  14. #14
    BellyBelly Life Subscriber

    Jan 2006
    11,633

    I'd say not - DS weighs at least a kilo less than your DD and he's quite healthy (below average height also)