Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Early findings about link to obesity & formula

I am not surprised that a link has been found! FFing girls dont get me wrong - I am one - but confirming that babies are not designed to have the milk of another creature is not rocket science!! We will always see the consequensces of not eating what we should be eating, both young and old, human and animal.

I do think that there needs to be more resources put into making learning to BF easier. More readily available IBCLCs for a start!! I also think that formula should be prescription only. But when formula companies can pay off certain people and advertise in the areas that women need to go to for help to succeed in BF it is basically telling the women that they should feed their babies this junk. I know that the only reason Em is FF is her health, and hers is prescription forumla.

I have learned from what happened when I weaned Sarah. I know I was young and not thinking clearly, and I am using that experience to make sure that I do all I can to give my 3rd baby all that I can. The only bottles in my house are used for Em's formula, and I will not buy any other type of formula when DD3 arrives. I have taken the steps I believe will help me to persist.

Gigi - Sweetie, I know that the city you live in is not as up-to-date on baby care. There are not that many MCN users, and most people FF. Far too many people are set in their ways. My Dad tried to tell me that it is disgusting to BF in public so I asked him to eat his lunch in the loo, because that is where he wanted his granddaughter to have hers. He soon learned that I am much more open to encouraging NORMAL baby care, than using the absolute rubbish that is on the market. Like I keep sayinghun, you would love it up here

Quote Originally Posted by alioops View Post
    I am not surprised that a link has been found! FFing girls dont get me wrong - I am one - but confirming that babies are not designed to have the milk of another creature is not rocket science!! We will always see the consequensces of not eating what we should be eating, both young and old, human and animal.

I do think that there needs to be more resources put into making learning to BF easier. More readily available IBCLCs for a start!! I also think that formula should be prescription only. But when formula companies can pay off certain people and advertise in the areas that women need to go to for help to succeed in BF it is basically telling the women that they should feed their babies this junk. I know that the only reason Em is FF is her health, and hers is prescription forumla.

I have learned from what happened when I weaned Sarah. I know I was young and not thinking clearly, and I am using that experience to make sure that I do all I can to give my 3rd baby all that I can. The only bottles in my house are used for Em's formula, and I will not buy any other type of formula when DD3 arrives. I have taken the steps I believe will help me to persist.

Gigi - Sweetie, I know that the city you live in is not as up-to-date on baby care. There are not that many MCN users, and most people FF. Far too many people are set in their ways. My Dad tried to tell me that it is disgusting to BF in public so I asked him to eat his lunch in the loo, because that is where he wanted his granddaughter to have hers. He soon learned that I am much more open to encouraging NORMAL baby care, than using the absolute rubbish that is on the market. Like I keep sayinghun, you would love it up here

I agree with what you've said

I dont believe Formula should be able to be bought, just because. I believe it should only be given to bubs because the mother 'cant' bf. Weather be for her own sanity or the fact her milk never came in. But I truly HATED it when I heard a girl tell me she wont bf because she was to much of a 'prude'. You've had a baby huny, gorw up, its time

kirsty_lee Guest

I dont believe Formula should be able to be bought, just because
    Personally, I don't think that is fair. Women should be allowed their own choice whether they want to breast feed or not. And they aren't any less of a mother because they just simply don't want to. Feeding your child is such a SMALL part of what being a mother is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by kirsty_lee View Post
    Personally, I don't think that is fair. Women should be allowed their own choice whether they want to breast feed or not. And they aren't any less of a mother because they just simply don't want to. Feeding your child is such a SMALL part of what being a mother is all about.
    I did mention for the womans sanity also......health etc. Sometimes even bubs cant have BM.
    This is IMO and I dont see the problem with what I said. For many if FF was only there for extream reasons, they would soon learn the beauty of BF, as they would have no other option. I to believe education on BF needs to be there.
    Its only to often I see somebody I know who is fully capable of BF and 'chooses' to FF. I bet if she was educated on BF she wouldn't choose FF.
    THIS COMMENT WAS FOR THE LADIES I KNOW THAT 'CHOOSE' TO FF. Not those of you i know nothing about!
    I repeat I know sometimes BF isn't an option!
    Also I never said mothers who FF are any less of a mother. IMO what you feed your child throughout hes/her life IS a massive part of parenting.

wow getting real off topic now..

Um i was thinking today.. how good would it be to have a drive through kids healthy store. Like Macca's but with all healthier stuff.. like chips that arnt deep fried etc. Hrmmm

dont think too much is gooing to come of this study coz its going to be so hard to get exact proof. Statistics.. its a funny thing.

queenbee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kirsty_lee View Post
    I so agree....

I did explain myself..... I think if others are allowed to have their opinions on their right to FF I think Im allowed to my right to talk about Bf.
    Im not going to bother though, as it is off topic and people are taking what Im saying out of context.

Hollye- There is an option its just some dont take that option. There's fruit instead of chips etc

People should have the right to choose, I don't think anyone denies that. But I think that part of the problem is that too many mothers who wish to bf give up due to lack of support/information and ease of access to formula. It does make sense to throw more resources into providing good support and information for breastfeeding mums (and education to pregnant women and the community in general so that the first time you know anything about bfing isn't after your baby is born). And to consider reducing the availability of artificial baby milk. The low rate of bfing in Australia atm IS costing our community - we know that ff babies have more doctor visits and more hospital stays, that they are more likely to be obese during childhood, to have juvenile diabetes and a range of other, some very serious, illnesses. We know that working parents of ff babies have more sick days. It does cost the community. So no, we shouldn't stop people buying artificial baby milk altogether, but we should consider putting more resources into things that will help those who wish to bf, to overcome problems and do so.

Quote Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
    People should have the right to choose, I don't think anyone denies that. But I think that part of the problem is that too many mothers who wish to bf give up due to lack of support/information and ease of access to formula. It does make sense to throw more resources into providing good support and information for breastfeeding mums (and education to pregnant women and the community in general so that the first time you know anything about bfing isn't after your baby is born). And to consider reducing the availability of artificial baby milk. The low rate of bfing in Australia atm IS costing our community - we know that ff babies have more doctor visits and more hospital stays, that they are more likely to be obese during childhood, to have juvenile diabetes and a range of other, some very serious, illnesses. We know that working parents of ff babies have more sick days. It does cost the community. So no, we shouldn't stop people buying artificial baby milk altogether, but we should consider putting more resources into things that will help those who wish to bf, to overcome problems and do so.

You worded it much better then me
    And its exactly what I was trying to say.
    Sorry if anyone took affense. But IMO and I truly believe with all my heart, if education was there and support. BF bubs would be more common and artificial baby milk would only be there for those who truly need it.

I've always wondered why articles such as this inspire guilt in those who have no choice but to formula feed. Now that I find that I'm in that position, I think I know.

We all know breast is best... it's pushed everywhere...

I was going to breastfeed, I was determined... but then I found myself with an early arrival who couldn't suck, a really stressful time in hospital, supply never really establishing and then finally a severe arthritis flare which meant I needed to begin medication where I had no choice but to formula feed.

And I felt guilty because the best I could do was to give Samuel dribbles of breast milk for two weeks. I felt like I was giving him the worst possible start - he was premature, he needed breast milk... I didn't have any worth mentioning.

One day, someone said something that finally broke through the fog of guilt. How dare I give my baby formula and not let him starve. Shocking, but it finally got through to me.

Yes, breast is best, but there are some where it's just not an option. And then it comes down to the question of is it better to give your baby formula or let your baby starve?

Sure, there may be health problems down the track from being formula fed... but at least by having formula there is actually going to be a down the track.

I still have moments, but while I am not necessarily giving my baby the best start in life, I am at least ensuring that he has a life and isn't starving to death - as that's where we'd be without formula.

Please, those of you who are upset by such articles when you had no choice but to formula feed, try to see it that way... I think of this as an indication of what we may need to look out for in Samuel in the future. Something that we can take steps to avoid later in life by encouraging a good diet and being physically active from very early on.

BW

Well said BW.

BW - That is exactly why I dont feel guilty giving Em a bottle. Even at 18 months I know that I have to get it into her however she will take it, and she wont drink her formula from a cup. I feel more guilty for giving up before asking for help with Sarah, because she COULD BF.

Thank you, everyone.

It's so easy to read something like this and get stuck on thinking that it's another way that I've failed my son... but the truth is that I'm not failing him, we're just making the best of a bad situation and it would have been more of a failing to persevere with breastfeeding where he would starve.

BW

Some great comments by Manta and BW I totally agree. Articles like this one are valuble NOT because they inspire guilt but because they raise awareness so that possible future problems can be avoided. Would Mums who need to use artifical milk (like myself during several points of my BFing journey) prefer not to be told and then have their children suffer these preventable problems (like obesity) later on in life? Would ignorance be more blissful, really?

paradise lost Guest

You're going on a journey of parenthood. You can go by bus or by taxi. I'm going to tell you how great the bus is. I'm going to impress on you how much BETTER the bus is for you and for your baby. I'm going to tell you how second-rate taxi's are for transporting kids and how careful you must be if you choose to go that way. I'm going to give you a list of bad things that can happen in the taxi and tell you how careful and vigilant you need to be if you go in one. I'm going to say whatever i can to make sure you feel, at the outset of your journey, that it's bus-or-Bust for you!

Then it's time to go. I won't tell you where the bus stop is. Um, yeah, over that way, not got time to draw you a map though... Just keep going, its THAT way, no, silly over THERE! You've got a lot to carry. I can't help you though. I'm busy. I can't give you the number of the bus company, no. Timetable? Oh you don't need one. Just DO it! Come on now, you're not trying. You're making too much of this - other women just GET ON THE BUS! I'm impatient and act bored and unsympathetic. I look at my watch and tap my foot.

Taxi's with apparently happily journeying families pass you. There are taxi's everywhere. Every now and then you see a bus, but you still have very little idea of how to hail one or get on it. Well-meaning friends and family start sending taxi's to you. You search frantically for the bus stop, for a timetable, for ANY information on how to get on the damn bus. I might stop by occasionally to tell you once again how important it is that you're on that bus. No sorry, i still don't really have time to help you get on. People passing by give you advice. Just jump on! Throw the baby on first! Use a step! Shout and the driver will come to you! It comes every 4 hours, no it comes every 2 hours, no it comes twice a day, no it doesn't stop on this road, yes it does it stops right here, did you miss it already!?

I'm getting impatient again. I don't have time for this. No i can't help you stop the bus and get on with your little family. Oh ok, fine, but be quick. Hurry up. No. You're doing it wrong. Oh for goodness sake! I do NOT have time for this! Just get a taxi!

BW you did your son proud. Those "dribbles" of milk filled his tiny tummy and kickstarted his immune system when he needed it most. When you were sore, shocked and exhausted there was no oxytocin to get your milk out. You got it out with desperate determination and love to give your little boy what he needed those precious early days. NEVER allow yourself to forget how those days ACTUALLY felt. It's so easy when the baby is fed and sleeping in your arms, when the pain is somewhat tempered with meds, when life is beginning to feel less desperate, to forget the pressures of the times when you struggled and convince yourself you failed in some way. But you did NOT fail. You squirted breastmilk in the eye of terrible adversity! You have always made sure his needs are met, and when fate threw a roadblock down you re-routed without missing a step. And i am going to keep reminding you, so you don't forget it!

Bx

Good analogy, altho I don't think it's that bad, or else no-one would be breastfeeding! And it makes the lovely ABA counsellors and LC's sound terribly impatient & cranky.

But you forgot about the taxi companies and their marketing that keeps hounding the mother to use their taxis because they're just as good as the bus. Handing out free rides just up to the next corner for you to test it out. And then there's people in the taxis.. especially the taxi drivers, yelling out to those on the bus "are you STILL on that bus???"

hmm well both my boys were FF early and neither are overweight. For every person who says their child was FF and is overweight there is just as many saying the opposite.
    Jaidan was the earliest FF of my 2 and he is skinny as a rake.
    Last edited by Visitor8; February 17th, 2009 at 08:31 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast