Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Early findings about link to obesity & formula

For those who are uncomfortable with these studies being published or discussed, I'd like to respectfully ask, what would you prefer be done?

That research into the benefits of breastmilk not be done? Or that it not be discussed when it is done? Or that scientific research be published with caveats about how despite the findings of the research, parents who feel bad shouldn't feel that the findings might apply to them? Scientific research is not judgement, it is neutral. What we choose to do with it is another matter.

For many women, the struggles of breastfeeding are outweighed by the knowledge that breastmilk is giving particular health benefits to their child. And so they persevere, and the general benefit to the population is increased (whether or not we choose to put our anecdotal experience above empirical evidence).

It's good for our babies, it's good for mothers, and it's good for our health system, for the health-giving mechanisms of breastfeeding to be understood. I don't see that the benefit to people who feel guilty about formula feeding is more important than the benefit of giving parents the absolutely best information they can to make the most informed choices they can.

If people who have either chosen to formula feed or have been forced to do so want scientific studies to show that there are no health implications in this course of action, they're going to be upset. There's just too much evidence. So rather than shooting the messenger, let's all look towards better education and getting as much information a we possibly can, so that we can all make the best decisions we possibly can, and be at peace with them, knowing we've done the very best we could in the circumstances we found ourselves.

I thought that article was interesting. I do agree that some studies tend to find what they want. Some of the graphs they put up at uni, which show definately that something caused something, I sit there and think, but look, it was allready reducing, or couldn't something else have been the cause.
    But I do think that bacteria can do alot of good, and not only in bm, in the past I think most people consumed alot more of them than they do now - sourdough bread, real yoghurt, cultured butter, raw milk, sourkrout (?), grapes are treated to kill natural yeasts, I think I read somewhere grain is steralised too. And potatoes are treated, thats why you have seed potatoes and normal potatoes- so I guess that would kill the yeasts/bacterias on them too.
    I think they are putting probiotics into formula now aren't they? I guess that is the benefit of these studies.
    I've seen some other interesting studies too, showing the effect pre-natal nutrition has on obesity.
    Plus there are those emails about msg fat rats

lol this forum needs a spell checker

I think you've made some good points about the friendly bacteria levels being higher in the past that it is today... and also with the much higher levels of sugar in our diets the little good bacteria we ARE getting in our diets is often killed off by the sugar-loving bad bacteria.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345