Thread: EBM and Microwaves

Default EBM and Microwaves

HI all,

I know that your not supposed to heat EBM in the microwave, but can someone tell me the exact reason.

I don't use the microwave at home however DS will be going into childcare after xmas and due to occ health and safety for the staff and child safety for the other kids, a risk assessment denotes that ebm would have to be heated in the microwave.

I guess what i'm trying to work out is if I know that heating in the microwave a particular way will be better then I can specify how I want it done, and cross my fingers they won't get lazy. EG: if heated on a low temp for a longer time is it better than being heated on a high temp for a shorter time.

I'm guessing it's the high heat that ruins the good stuff.

Becca,
    I have heard that it kills some of the good vitamins or enzymes or something in it, but I don't know for sure.
    As for the centre using the microwave, in the centres I have worked in, we have never been able to use the microwave to heat any bottles, cows milk, formula, or ebm, or even baby food, due to uneven heating and unpredictable heating of the milk. We have always had to heat them in a container of hot water, in the kitchen (out of reach from kiddies, of course!) then given to bubs. I don't understand how a risk assessment could find that microwaves are better.
    HTH...

I agree with Kellie, Rebecca. The microwave kills all the antibodies etc in the milk. It also heats unevenly so it is not the best way of heating any drink for babies (due to the risk of burns). If the day care centre says that can only heat in a microwave they are being lazy. At our centre they heat it in warm water (which is the recommended way to do it), but they have to wear gloves to do it and then a different set of gloves to serve it (WH&S regulations apparently). The kitchen has to be off-limits to kids with a child proof door or gate by law also so it is certainly not a risk to a child. I would say the staff just can't be bothered at your centre. I would be really concerned about a centre that is not prepared to heat milk properly.

Hi,

I think that childcare centre needs to have a good hard look at it's occ health and safety regulations.
    Actually, babies are more at risk of having their formula heated in a microwave. Microwaving changes the molecular structure of foods - and we don't even know all the ways that it is changed. It causes hot spots in foods - v. dangerous for bottlefeeding. In breastmilk it kilss some of the immune factors. But, for a breastfed baby it is likely that they will only get the occasional bottle of microwaved EBM. Not good, but consider that formula fed babies often have their ENTIRE diet for the first 6mnths of microwaved formula. That's a real risk. Warming in a bottle warmer takes no time really.
    Warm Regards
    Barb

Rebecca, I would seriously be checking this out further. If you don't want your EBM heated in the microwave they shouldn't do it. Both the day care centres we have used have had no problem at all with heating the milk correctly. Also, I think you will find that the WH&S regulations do NOT state that the drinks should only be heated in the microwave. I would be finding out from the relevant govt department and then standing your ground. I am sure you are worried about annoying them, but I would be more worried by their apparent lack of interest in doing the right thing by the kids in their care. Personally I think I would be trying to find another centre.

Would Xavier take a bottle of EBM that hasn't been heated?

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses. I have to laugh though 'cause I have no problem talking this out as it's a govt run child care center and my mum is head of childrens services tee hee, so I really only have to fight it out with her.

Does anyone know of the best place I can find some information about this sort of stuff so I can pass it on. Or should I just contact the ABA?

Snacks, Xavier won't take ebm unless it's a little warm. I tried teaching him to take it at body temp which is cooler than warmed and he hardly ever accepts that so it does need to be warm.
    Thanks again.

LOL Rebecca! You didn't mention that earlier!! I would try the ABA first, they should help you out with some info. Also the child health centre might have some info. WRT WH&S guidelines for day care centres, you could contact the govt dept responsible - I guess that would be your mum!

yep mantaray that's right I could have mentioned my mum first up but I wouldn't have wanted anyone to sensor their opinion if they were concerned about my feelings iykwim.

I've been to the ABA website, naughty me I ended up ordering some stuff, I spent a few $$$$ that I probably shouldn't have.

My fave purchase was the T-shirt for Xavier with a big cows head on it that says I Love to drink my mums milk not milk from just any old cow, or something like that anyway, it was very cute.

National Health and Medical Research Council Guidelines p228

"With infant formula, there is a greater risk of infection resulting from substandard

sterilisation techniques. The risk of contamination can be reduced if

bottles, teats and spoons are boiled or otherwise sterilised. Further, baby bottles

containing formula or milk should not be left sitting at room temperature.12

Ready-made milk should be stored in the fridge and warmed up immediately

before use by placing the bottle of milk in hot water. Microwave ovens should

not be used to heat the milk: this can cause variations in temperature throughout

the milk. The temperature of the milk should be tested before feeding the baby.

Any partially consumed milk or formula should be discarded.

If travelling, take formula powder in a bottle and add warm water just prior to

feeding."

I had this conversation with my girlfriend of a 1 week old last night, as she used to work in Childcare and said that they always heated up bottles in the microwave with no worries (EBM and formula) and that she wanted to check if it was ok for her to do this for her new bubby. I gave her the info out of the aba book and she is going to buy a bottle warmer! It's interesting though - I wonder if it is just common practise at most centres. I guess the risk with a container of hot boiling water is that it could be spilled onto a child? Is it an issue with formula or is formula ok to be used in the microwave?

I guess the risk with a container of hot boiling water is that it could be spilled onto a child?
    Tan I would like to think that it wouldn't be an issue. They should not be able to get into the kitchen and I'd like to think the staff wouldn't take a jug of hot water into the kids room!

Mmmm good point!!! Heehee can you tell I've never really been to a day care centre before!!

Tan, it IS an issue with formula too, due to the uneven heating. And as Sam said, the kitchen's are separate to where the kids are and there have to be child proof doors or gates so the kids can't get in. Also, they are not allowed to take a child in there - ie go in there with a baby in their arms. So there is no risk to the child of using warm water to warm the milk. There is a greater risk of burning a child by heating their drink in the microwave.

I don't think using a microwave is common practice, although obviously some centres do. Jack has been to two centres and neither used a microwave to heat drinks - food yes, but not drinks.

Hi, Again,

Found this (through my fab networks) as well

http://www.ncac.gov.au/pcf/pcf_jun_07.pdf

http://www.ncac.gov.au/pcf/pcf_march_07.pdf

Barb

I was going to suggest the ncac as a reference point, but you beat me to it Barb!! No centre I have ever worked in has heated bottles in the microwave. Bottles are required by liscencing (in NSW) to be heated in a kitchen in hot water and then given to the child when warm enough. It is health and safety guidelines in regards to keeping hot water out of reach of children- in the kitchen, as well as the things Barb stated above. The only reason I could see that a centre would be heating bottles in a microwave would be laziness and bad habbits.

Hi,

Thanks all,

Barb I will check out those links and have a read.
    As I understand it there is a copy of the "policy" for the centres available to me should I want it so I might get a copy and read it too.

Thanks

DS' centre (in Victoria) use bottle warmers for EBM and microwave, then shake thoroughly, formula.