Thread: Electric breast pumps

Default Electric breast pumps

What is a good electric breast pump i can buy?

I love my mini medela electic has been good thus far and not to badly priced

I have the Medela Swing which I love!
    I think it's about as powerful as you can get without forking out the $$ for a hospital grade one. I forget how much it cost...about $250 I think. I'd highly recommend it if you're just after a single, lightweight and very portable pump (takes batteries or you can plug into the wall).

Think about what you want it for. If you are going to be expressing at work for a youngish bub then speed is of the essence, so that you actually get to do something other than express in your breaks. In this situation a double pump is very useful - medela and ameda both make good ones. Similarly if you are mostly expressing then get a double pump and claim back a couple of hours in your day.

If you want to express a few times a week for the freezer or to have a night out or when it doesn't matter how long expressing takes you then a single pump is fine. The medela mini-electric is a light-duty beastie, and is a bit heavier to hold than other pumps because the motor unit is on the bit that you hold onto your breast.
    Other more expensive pumps have a hose to the motor unit, so you put the motor unit on a table or the floor and just hold the bottle and snozzle parts to your breast.

I recommend the Medela Swing also. I was exclusively expressing for Anelise and it was brilliant. I ended up with a fantastic supply and had loads of frozen EBM. I paid around $250 for mine from Babies Galore.

Medela Swing user here to

I bought it second hand off ebay, only paid about 140, box and all, in perfect condition, barely used, as 90% of pumps are.

I had purchased it for expressing when I am at uni, that only lasted a couple of months and now I am external. But I still use it for when a need a store of ebm for when I am going to be without DD2, she is dairy intolerance so formula is out. The pump works amazing compared to my old crappy avent manual, its hard to express when you don't do it regularly but having this pump I think makes a huge difference.

I bought the Medela Swing last week based on many recommendations. Toys R Us (their baby section) had it on sale for $229 (RRP $309). Not sure if their sale is still on??

Kmn is right, depends what you are planning to use it for. I am another Medela fan, I have the Swing which I bought online for about $230. I'm exclusively expressing for my DD at the moment. Very happy with it. Can get spare parts easily too which is a help.

I bought the tommee tippee closer to nature one & I love it. But Im not expressing every day

I'm definitely getting the medela swing heard soo many good things about it and its what the hospital we are going to uses so will come in handy as we need the attachment for their machine

I have an Ameda Purely Yours, I love it, I have been a long term expresser over 12 months for DD, the double pump is great it really cuts down your expressing time a lot. Like the Medela, I have been able to find spare parts easy to find Mine I got second hand from a friend after renting one for a while, it was almost brand new and we just agreed onw hat the "going price" was on EBAY at the time

I have a Medela Swing and when I was using it, it was fantastic!