thread: Electric pumps - best place, best price?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Moderator

    Oct 2004
    In my Zombie proof fortress.
    6,449

    That is why I would hire first, as it is such an unknown. Honestly the hire pumps with the double collection kit are just awesome, even with one collection kit they are great. The best things for the those early days when (depending on how things go) you might be pumping 3 hourly. Then again, it may all go smoothly and you may have very little need for a pump

  2. #2
    2014 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

    Feb 2010
    Gold Coast
    2,117

    Thanks girls. I appreciate the advice! I'm shopping right now lol...

    Dreambabies - I had the avent manual pump. Not a fan....

  3. #3
    2014 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

    Feb 2010
    Gold Coast
    2,117

    Woah.... they are expensive to hire. Would I be insane to just buy one I thought was good??? I mean, really???

    I can afford $200 now to buy a brand spankers pump. But $40 a week when I'm not working? No. Not likely. Now I"m really confused!! Start naming some brands and features you liked please.. lol

    I really just need something that'll keep my hands free, and do what it's meant to. Get milk out. Nothing extremely fancy, no double pumping necessary. If I don't need it, so be it. Last time I was all 'Oh I don't need this or that, it's all a ripoff....' I have learned lol. I know I'll use a pump. Even if my BFing is a fabulous success from the start - it'll be used when I return to work.

  4. #4
    BellyBelly Life Subscriber

    Jan 2006
    11,633

    I think if you're pretty sure you're going to be using one later on at least, then it may make sense to buy one, yeah.
    Member rental rates are $15 or $25 per week, depending on the pump. Which is fine if you only use it for a couple of weeks!

    ETA - if you look on the Motehr's Direct site, they give some info on who each pump might be suitable for, which is a good starting point for comparing pumps.
    Maybe wait for a sale to buy? you have plenty of time at this point anyway

  5. #5

    May 2008
    Melbourne, Vic
    8,631

    FS, sounds like you guys had a really rough start to BF last time! Good on you for being determined to succeed this time. I've got a great electric pump but it isn't hands free - I still have to hold it on to the breast. I've got a Medela Swing. Cost me about $250 - got mine on sale at Baby Bunting and it came with a free esky bag thing that can hold four Medela bottles and a special ice brick that was shaped around the bottles. Fantastic for taking to work and storing my bottles for the trip home.

    It's only a single pump. Doubles get expensive. But it's a great little pump.

    It sounds, though, like you might have different pumping needs. The pumping to help get milk established is quite different to pumping every now and then if you need to leave baby or something. It really might be worth hiring a double, hospital-grade pump from the ABA for the first few weeks and then buying your own later down the track once you've worked things out.

    Another thing - most mums find that while it is a wonderful idea for dad to give a bottle overnight to let mum rest, it doesn't quite work that way as mum has to express at the time the baby is feeding to ensure she maintains her milk supply. And really at 2am (or similar horrible time) most mums find it easier to just stick the baby on the boob

    Have you thought about a Breastfeeding Education Class, to really ensure you are as prepared as you can be?

  6. #6
    BellyBelly Member

    May 2008
    1,110

    You say you have a slow letdown - I would consider a pump that has the funny little sucks to stimulate a letdown, or at least has a variable suck strength so that you can start gentle and then turn it up once things are flowing.
    Do you want to be able to pump both sides at once?

    The advantage of the hire pumps is that they are powerful, and can get more out than a little pump - so for supply stimulating you will do better with a symphony or a lactina or similar than you will with a little pump. And then hopefully after a month or two you don't need it any more.

  7. #7
    BellyBelly Life Subscriber

    Jan 2006
    11,633

    I guess after last time you're looking to get a head start this time round? It's great to be thinking ahead. Best case scenario - you waste your money on a pump you never need Things were rough for you both after your last birth, so it's no wonder things got off to a shaky start. This time will be different It's good to hear you're talking through this with your midwife, too.

    have you joined the ABA? Your local group can be a wonderful source of support, if you haven't looked into it yet. And you'd get 50% off the hire price of a pump if you did need one.

    ETA - oh, and if you're looking to buy, you can talk to the girls at Mothers' Direct for advice on the right pump for you. Either from birth or when you go back to work.