Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Expressing before birth?

paradise lost Guest

My milk supply definitely vanished when my thyroid got worse. That's anecdotal of course but my health visitor said it was probably at the root of my problems. If everything's running on go-slow the milk just doesn't metabolise fast enough for you to have any.

Did your DS get colostrum? I only seemed to have tiny amounts of that but it was plenty for DD. Mil milk came in on the 3rd day. That's not considered late at all. Ina May Gaskin once wrote a paper on the fact that colostrum is not really "just until the milk gets here" but a very important nutritional phase between womb and world and shortening it doesn't necessarily benefit the baby.

Sarah, thyroid issues can definitely have a big effect on breastfeeding ie. milk production. Hopefully Barb will see this and elaborate for you. If you're on meds now that's great, but be aware of it, and mention it to the hospital LC if you use them. Of course, you won't need to this time

Hi, Sarah,

Now that your are recieving treatment for your thyroid condition it shouldn't be an issue in breastfeeding. From what I know of your story, it is hard to tease out general mismanagement of your situation from any health problems that you had. In these situations it is my belief that every mother CAN produce milk for her baby. You have taken some great proactive steps to get the sort of birth that you want. So whilst the time is short, best to get as much knowledge about breastfeeding as you can - knowledge is power, as they say.
    Did any of your friends take the hint and get you an ABA subscription? If I were you I'd find out if you can squeeze in to an ABA breastfeeding class - you will be glad you did. Or ask if your group has a copy of Sue Cox' s "Mom and Baby I can do that" And watch it.
    In your situation, on balance, I think I would try to express some colostrum and store in 5mls syringes in your freezer. Take them to hospital when you go. Put in your birth plan that if baby needs to be suplemented, it must be with your colostrum. If baby has had a hard time, and becomes sleepy - this will be the pep up he needs - allowing him to have the energy to feed vigorously and bring in your milk supply.
    Keep that baby with you at all times - skin to skin. The world can wait while you and he (or she) get breastfeeding off to the best possible start)
    Warm Regards
    Barb

Yep actually Barb I had both of little miss' godmothers try to organise ABA membership for me, luckily I managed to get one in time so I didn't have two subscriptions!! I also had one of the BB girls offer to post me her spare Breastfeeding Naturally book which should arrive today!! So all sorted there. Classes are a bit tough, I had a look at the ABA site & there are only two posible places which are an hour away, not such a big deal but they are only in mid-May & June so a little late because they say it should be done prior to having the baby.

With Cailin's help I have in my birth plan that baby isn't to be supplemented with any formula or use bottles, dummies etc, just a syringe if needs be. She will also be at home with us for a few days after the birth to help get breastfeeding sorted out.

How close to my due date do you think I should express the colostrum into syringes? And will that still be sterile from the freezer or should they go into zip lock bags as well?

paradise lost Guest

DUnno what barb will advise Sarah but i began using nipple stimulation at 40 weeks to try to naturally induce labour. It didn't work! But had i saved it (i just mopped any leaks up with a tissue) i'd have had plenty for a day or two by the time she arrived at 41+4! So....maybe from week 39? GIves you time if your littly is keener to arrive than mine was.

I'd use the ziplocks just because it means you can move them from place to place (home to hossie) if need be and not worry/think about who will touch them/what they'll touch etc.

Bx

Last week I tried to express a bit & managed to get 0.3ml so was a bit disheartened & left it for a while. So tonight I decided to try again & got a whopping 1.4ml in one go!!! YAAAAAY!! I'm so excited Hopefully this is a sign of things to come......

paradise lost Guest

Hey Sarah, thought i'd post this link so you can check your technique.

Bx

That's brilliant - make sure you freeze that liquid gold for your little one

Regards
    Barb

BX I'm usin a pump

And yep Barb it's in the syringe in the freezer ready for me to add to it when I can

sarah, there are little caps that can go on syringes, maybe a chemist can get some in for you, i am a nurse and we use them at work then the milk would stay in a sterile environment (i work with very sick newborns and often we keep the mum's colostrum in syringes with caps). maybe even your midwife could snaffle some for you.
    beckles

I actually manage to find some at our pharmacy Beckles, I got two 10ml ones with caps. Thank you for your suggestion though

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12